What Bourbon Did You Purchase (Spring 2022)

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I didn't know that the WTRB was hard to find. Is that a regional thing?

Last month, they had cases of it, and WTRB rye, at the package store in Norfolk.

Maybe I'll ask Mom to snag me one, next time she hits the base.

It was out of stock for 4-5 months and when it showed up each Total Wine store got a case each which sold very quickly. I got three at one of the less traveled TW's and have been picking up 1s and 2s at my local as they appear. When I first mentioned it some here said it was sparse in their region as well and others said they had plenty so it must be regional.

Russell's Reserve SiB has been out for even longer. Still haven't seen it like 6 months now.

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, flahute said:

It was out of stock for 4-5 months and when it showed up each Total Wine store got a case each which sold very quickly. I got three at one of the less traveled TW's and have been picking up 1s and 2s at my local as they appear. When I first mentioned it some here said it was sparse in their region as well and others said they had plenty so it must be regional.

Russell's Reserve SiB has been out for even longer. Still haven't seen it like 6 months now.

Must be...I've seen plenty of the RR SiB around here, (Baltimore metro area), and in ABC stores in Va.

I was out running errands today and stopped by the LS that  I dropped off doughnuts to last week.  The manager reached under the counter and said, “I’ve been holding this for you.”  Now I need to get more doughnuts for them.

E4908B78-6AEE-49F3-9AB0-CE0A3928094E.jpeg

• I like it 11

Very pleased to find a bottle of Smoke Wagon UCUF yesterday when I went to Jersey in search of jazz records.   Of course, I immediately had to have a pour while listening to the Gerry Milligan - Paul Desmond Quartet.   

• I like it 6

12 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

Very pleased to find a bottle of Smoke Wagon UCUF yesterday when I went to Jersey in search of jazz records.   Of course, I immediately had to have a pour while listening to the Gerry Milligan - Paul Desmond Quartet.   

I've only had that one time. I thought it was fantastic. 

26 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I've only had that one time. I thought it was fantastic. 

This one was batch # 141,  and the interplay between the oak and the honeyed high rye mashbill is as exquisite as that between Mulliga'n's bari and Desmond's alto.

18 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I’ve been listening to a lot of Paul Desmond the last few weeks. Such a pleasant and rewarding listening experience. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Rhettro said:

I’ve been listening to a lot of Paul Desmond the last few weeks. Such a pleasant and rewarding listening experience. 

Desmond famously said that he sounded like a dry martini.   But he sure sounds good with a cask strength bourbon in the glass.

20220614_180843.jpg

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 7

Today I ordered a bottle o High Wire Distillery 100% Jimmy Red corn bourbon from Seelbach's.  It's a cask strength single barrel private selection.  I had one of these (albeit a different barrel) a couple of years ago and it was fantastic and I love the back story on it.  Only three cobs were left in existence of this heirloom corn variety when someone rescued and revived it.  Free shipping offer for National Bourbon Day forced me to pull the trigger on another. 

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, Rhettro said:

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Desmond famously said that he sounded like a dry martini.   But he sure sounds good with a cask strength bourbon in the glass.

20220614_180843.jpg

My men! I'm a huge Desmond and Brubeck fan and often pair a good bourbon with listening to them. SO good.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, flahute said:

My men! I'm a huge Desmond and Brubeck fan and often pair a good bourbon with listening to them. SO good.

You're dating us old geezers, @flahute!  Ahhhh, 1966 - a freshman in Boston with a killer stereo set-up featuring a new set of Bose 901s Series 2 and 15,000 women within a 20 minute walk of my fraternity house in the Back Bay.  "Take 5" - just magic (sigh).   🥰

MIT 50th 1.jpg

• I like it 13

15 hours ago, GeeTen said:

You're dating us old geezers, @flahute!  Ahhhh, 1966 - a freshman in Boston with a killer stereo set-up featuring a new set of Bose 901s Series 2 and 15,000 women within a 20 minute walk of my fraternity house in the Back Bay.  "Take 5" - just magic (sigh).   🥰

Damn, and I thought I was old!  I was starting 7th grade in 1966.  A mere child!

• I like it 2

40 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Damn, and I thought I was old!  I was starting 7th grade in 1966.  A mere child!

I was BORN in 1966. 😝

I do enjoy some Dave Brubek as well, though. @GeeTen Bose 901's were my "dream" speakers back in the day. I settled for a pair of 301's in college.

• I like it 1

Yeah, and Take 5 is one of the best pieces of music ever recorded.  I know someone who thought classical music was the ONLY music worth listening to for 60 years til he heard Take 5.

• I like it 3

Dickel 8yr just landed in my area. Most stores selling for $45-$50. Found one for $36 so picked it up. 

IMG_3384.jpg

• I like it 3

30 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

NICE!

EHT is in Ohio?

yes

pretty rare here but 3 places I go got 4 bottles each, wasn't early enough at one of them.

• I like it 1

Picked up these two B522's today at $73 and $52.  I've been getting way into barrel proofs lately, and I thought this hobby was expensive before!

Image.thumb.jpeg.3c6b3bcc0912c689f70cdc67a0d282b4.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 6/15/2022 at 4:18 AM, GeeTen said:

MIT 50th 1.jpg

Looking very dapper there Frank!

2 hours ago, Cibsie said:

Picked up these two B522's today at $73 and $52.  I've been getting way into barrel proofs lately, and I thought this hobby was expensive before!

Image.thumb.jpeg.3c6b3bcc0912c689f70cdc67a0d282b4.jpeg

Nice pair right there

• I like it 1

I picked up a Colonel Taylor Small Batch today for under $40, could not say no to that.

• I like it 7

On 6/13/2022 at 6:43 PM, markandrex said:

I was out running errands today and stopped by the LS that  I dropped off doughnuts to last week.  The manager reached under the counter and said, “I’ve been holding this for you.”  Now I need to get more doughnuts for them.

E4908B78-6AEE-49F3-9AB0-CE0A3928094E.jpeg

Another one of those that was there, then passed, there, then passed, there, passed again, good reviews, freakin' gone; SH!+...

Never tried...

MIT 50th 1.jpg

Damn, 901's  - flashback - hope you had a 4ohm receiver/amp instead of 8ohm. That was a thing that some didn't realize...

On 6/15/2022 at 8:31 PM, Clueby said:

I was BORN in 1966. 😝

I do enjoy some Dave Brubek as well, though. @GeeTen Bose 901's were my "dream" speakers back in the day. I settled for a pair of 301's in college.

301's (bookshelfs) were nice in there own right; and Dave was cool. Damn, you guys are giving me major flashbacks...

• I like it 1

On 6/15/2022 at 8:31 PM, Clueby said:

I was BORN in 1966. 😝

2 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Another one of those that was there, then passed, there, then passed, there, passed again, good reviews, freakin' gone; SH!+...

Never tried...

Damn, 901's  - flashback - hope you had a 4ohm receiver/amp instead of 8ohm. That was a thing that some didn't realize...

301's (bookshelfs) were nice in there own right; and Dave was cool. Damn, you guys are giving me major flashbacks...

I'm not that damn old (hehe 😄) ... BUT the Bose 01 series was so successful that they were still around when I was in college.  I considered those, but I ultimately went with a pair of JBL's.  They rocked much better!  🔥 🔊💪🎸

😉

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I'm not that damn old (hehe 😄) ..,

Don't be ... Shit sucks... Hell, my back just went out! Anyway, Bose back in that day was nice but you had to research the power driving them. Apples to apples if you will! Lots of folks didn't do the math and paid the price for longevity. My stereo from the late seventies, still rocks because of this. I could get into a whole breakdown but, bourbon rules the night; so not needed here...

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.