What Bourbon Did You Purchase (Spring 2022)

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Picked up and opened at the store. Really good.

E4B3494A-CA6B-4076-A7B9-B0E631DC6845.thumb.jpeg.579cf2db917095d67acad3b5b206dc42.jpeg

Is it okay to ask how much? The last bottle of 7 year rye I had was $175. Waayy too much by you know how it goes sometimes.

• I like it 1

Coming back from helping a friend in Cincy, I swung through Lexington and found these.  I am really excited to try the 4R MM pick.

437C668D-3A66-4F85-A987-0FC1B9C38F80.jpeg

EB1A3FC3-ED4E-4D31-85A3-52DAD781C0F3.jpeg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

Coming back from helping a friend in Cincy, I swung through Lexington and found these.  I am really excited to try the 4R MM pick.

437C668D-3A66-4F85-A987-0FC1B9C38F80.jpeg

EB1A3FC3-ED4E-4D31-85A3-52DAD781C0F3.jpeg

Reply back on the 4R, I picked up 2 while out there mid April.

5 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Is it okay to ask how much? The last bottle of 7 year rye I had was $175. Waayy too much by you know how it goes sometimes.

I'm trying to understand the rationale that their 7 year rye is worth 175.  Who made it?

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I'm trying to understand the rationale that their 7 year rye is worth 175.  Who made it?

It was made from the tears of Mary, Mother of Jesus.  Apparently.

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Agreed. Their rye IMO is delicious but not even close to worth that. Maybe $90 if I’m feeling stupid.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Who made it?

They did. People are just cuckoo for WFE.

Big Rich is taking after my brother Joe and influencing my purchase decisions. I picked up a Calumet 14 today and yep - it's good. Already ordered the 15 to pickup tomorrow.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Picked up these 2 today. ABC was right!!

20220519_180015.jpg

20220519_173726.jpg

So much for the muddy Mississippi.  River running pretty clear.

15 minutes ago, flahute said:

Big Rich is taking after my brother Joe and influencing my purchase decisions. I picked up a Calumet 14 today and yep - it's good. Already ordered the 15 to pickup tomorrow.

I really like the 15, ended up having several backup bottles.  I see the 16 is out now; curious how the 14, 15, and16 stack up (but not enough to spend $400-ish to find out, lol!)

3 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

I really like the 15, ended up having several backup bottles.  I see the 16 is out now; curious how the 14, 15, and16 stack up (but not enough to spend $400-ish to find out, lol!)

Good to know! Strangely, the 15 is less expensive than the 14 and at a higher proof.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

I noticed in AZ that 15 was more common than 14 and a bit cheaper.  Interesting, that's a reversal.  Take a look at TW in Scottsdale/Phoenix area.  The Costo price struck me as pretty good for the 15, $100.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

I noticed in AZ that 15 was more common than 14 and a bit cheaper.  Interesting, that's a reversal.  Take a look at TW in Scottsdale/Phoenix area.  The Costo price struck me as pretty good for the 15, $100.

though it's apples to oranges, I bought poop-ton dickel BIB#3 2021 13 yr at $45/ea.  Just got bunch o' #1 2019 13 yr at $36/ea.  Which one I like best?  This week it's #2 2000 11 yr.  age or years released mean nothing with this apple.

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, B.B. Babington said:

though it's apples to oranges, I bought poop-ton dickel BIB#3 2021 13 yr at $45/ea.  Just got bunch o' #1 2019 13 yr at $36/ea.  Which one I like best?  This week it's #2 2000 11 yr.  age or years released mean nothing with this apple.

I noticed that many KC lovers prefer the 12 over the 15.  They felt that the 15 was too oaky.  Sounds like the aging sweet spot floats in general and differently from year-to-year.  I look forward to trying both.  

Those Dickel prices sound quite reasonable, especially in the present market.

So much to learn.  Sadly only can be done by drinking a large sample size for good stats in the end.  Because science.

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

...So much to learn.  Sadly only can be done by drinking a large sample size for good stats in the end.  Because science.

there's unfortunate $$ investment.  $/bottle not that important of course.  the more we drink the more we go in debt, I mean learn.  but I leaned from bottom shelf as well as top.  

as for my opinion dickel 15 vs 12.  I prefer heavy wood but.  tell ya what, 6 bottles later I'll let ya know.  🔥

• I like it 2

27 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

I noticed that many KC lovers prefer the 12 over the 15.  They felt that the 15 was too oaky.  Sounds like the aging sweet spot floats in general and differently from year-to-year.  I look forward to trying both.  

Those Dickel prices sound quite reasonable, especially in the present market.

So much to learn.  Sadly only can be done by drinking a large sample size for good stats in the end.  Because science.

With extra aged bourbon it's all about what floor of the rickhouse it was aged on. The lower the floor the longer you can age it without getting overoaked. I've had some absolutely fabulous KC at 14 and 15 yrs. The 15 they brought to market may have some even older barrels in the batch that they needed to dump. I don't know as I haven't tried it yet. The 12 however is sublime.

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, flahute said:

The Calumet Farms 16 debuted at WhiskyFest last Friday— so more to come. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

there's unfortunate $$ investment.  $/bottle not that important of course.  the more we drink the more we go in debt, I mean learn.  but I leaned from bottom shelf as well as top.  

as for my opinion dickel 15 vs 12.  I prefer heavy wood but.  tell ya what, 6 bottles later I'll let ya know.  🔥

Given that I drink very little (though that's going up - thanks people!), I thought I'd start at the top.  My other hobbies are pretty cheap (I read a lot, and I like to stab/hit people, at least for pretend), I have not hesitated to drive prices up.  Within some semblance of reason.  I've yet to pay secondary for anything (the EH Taylor tempts me).  I have clearly over-paid for some bottles and have rapidly adjusted to certain definitions of "reasonable" pricing-wise.  Indiana was a great discovery in that regard.  Ditto the lower-end (comparatively speaking) Weller bottles in Ohio.  Having friends all over the country who are willing to "help" with This Thing is really giving me a sense of what costs what where.  It makes the anal-analytical side of me all quivery.  

As has been well documented here that top price doesn't mean top value.  And as is usual in most things, double the price doesn't get double the good, even if/when there's an actual increase in quality.  My bottom up (yes, in both senses) comparisons will likely start with KC's, got a fair range to compare.

I tend to go for sweet.  One that struck me as heavy wood (too much for me) was Jefferson's Double Oak.  We'll see how I feel about Woodford DO.  Seems to get a lot of good reviews and managed to get a few at $44 - and that here in PR, a minor miracle at that price.  It has of course disappeared.

7 hours ago, flahute said:

With extra aged bourbon it's all about what floor of the rickhouse it was aged on. The lower the floor the longer you can age it without getting overoaked. I've had some absolutely fabulous KC at 14 and 15 yrs. The 15 they brought to market may have some even older barrels in the batch that they needed to dump. I don't know as I haven't tried it yet. The 12 however is sublime.

As usual, excellent details that bear further assimilation to form better judgment on my part.  I very much look forward to trying 9, 9 Sib/SP, 12, 15 side by side.  Granted, my judgment may find itself quickly impaired with that sample size and my current low tolerance (4 oz = buzz, cheap date).

Thanks to you both, as always, for the useful feedback.

On 5/17/2022 at 7:21 PM, hughewil said:

Acquired in a trade

sagmore.jpg.d3488258b0c6fdfd6a7ca42c31e988d1.jpg

You will not be disappointed.

Sagamore is a local distillery and they put out some great ryes.  The picks that I have are outstanding.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I picked up 2 bottles of the 14 a couple of months ago.  I forgot what I paid, (but it was ~ MSRP as they were purchased at the Navy Exchange package store), and I agree.    It's very good.   It was one of the few "buy it without having tried it" purchases that I've made in a while, and well worth it.

I read some reviews, and some posters here, stated that they like the 14 more than the 15.    You'll be in position to do a SBS, and your thoughts on how they compare would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Sagamore is a local distillery and they put out some great ryes.  The picks that I have are outstanding.

Any opinion on the regular Cask Strength Sagamore Spirits Rye?  I saw if for $55.  I've heard good things about their rye overall.  I prefer bourbon, but am playing some with the rye.  Slowly.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, mal00768 said:

I did not ask how much. I bought the two bottles in the picture and a Calumet 16 year, a henry McKenna 10 year, and a Willett  4y year, and a ER10y and paid $580 cash for all. 

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

Any opinion on the regular Cask Strength Sagamore Spirits Rye?  I saw if for $55.  I've heard good things about their rye overall.  I prefer bourbon, but am playing some with the rye.  Slowly.

It's very good and I wouldn't hesitate to pay $55.00 for it. 

As far as Sagamore whiskey goes, I don't care for the standard rye, which weighs in around 86 proof and is too thin for me.   I prefer the cask strength, which adds a lot more depth and at ~ 112 proof, it's more in my wheelhouse, (the 100 - 115 is my sweet spot).

I've tried a few, but not all, of their offerings and the cask strength is my favorite and an excellent pour, barrel pick, or not.   They have a BiB that I haven't tried. 

We've toured a lot of distilleries, over the past few years in Kentucky, yet we haven't been to Sagamore,  which is only 20 minutes from our front door 🙃     We're  going to remedy that, in the near future, and try some of their other whiskies.  

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.