What Bourbon Are You Drinking Summer 2022?

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, markandrex said:

Twin sons from different mothers.  I too have spent a lot of time in the woods and hollers up there.

In my youth I was definitely a white water junkie and river rat.  I even jumped (bungee) twice from the New River bridge.  One heck of a feel jumping from a mile high bridge into a rocky river bed.  Definitely “almost Heaven”

MOTHER DUCK!  I am Ranger trained and have taken lots of chances before I learned I was NOT immortal.  I refused to drive the New River Bridge.  Made my wife drive it while I cowered on the back seat.  Flashback to Calf Creek Falls, Utah. TRIED to drive the two lane road in Escalade  NWR around six PM.  A school bus (empty of kids) passed me on a blind corner.  I was going maybe 15 mph so it had plenty of time to cut me off when a semi appeared from the other direction.  The drop off on either side of the road according to a topo map I picked up was a minimum of 400 feet.

Can you tell that heights, even when I'm inside closed containers (like cars, buses, trains, planes, boxes) scare me IF I can see DOWN A LONG WAY.  Ugh!  Peachtree Tower in Atlanta has an elevator that goes up the outside of the building, pops through the roof, and opens into a revolving restaurant.  I was OKAY in the ride up but was not ready when the elevator passed through the roof and gave us all an unobstructed view of the horizon some 20 miles way.  I of course reacted by dropping to my knees.  Some guy with a HUGE mop of white hair and a thick Southern accent getting ON to go down saw me and remarked, "Son, you are supposed to crawl OUT if the bar, not INTO it."

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 9

1 hour ago, hughewil said:

I really like 1792 small batch.  I need to try the full proof.

Same here.

The full proof drinks a tad hot, but with a splash, or over ice, it's really,  really good.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Some guy with a HUGE mop of white hair and a thick Southern accent getting ON to go down saw me and remarked, "Son, you are supposed to crawl OUT if the bar, not INTO it."

Classic! 

I have done a lot of high "wire" work on smokestacks and was never really afraid of heights.  However, I have noticed over the past few years the few times I have been at high elevations even in a manlift with a fall protection harness (135 feet) or on a platform with a railing (100+ feet) I seem to get a little pit in my stomach.  I have never parachuted or bungee jumped and probably never will.  Similarly, I have never crawled INTO a bar.  

Watching a new Christmas movie on Hallmark this evening while watching the Grandpuppy and drinking FRSiB.  She heads home tomorrow after a weeklong stay.  I am going to miss her and I believe she will miss me as she has stuck close by me in the evenings when I get home from work and we have been inseparable all day today.  I even had the mobile groomer stop by this week to give her a nice haircut.  That's what grandparents do right?

Did I mention I am drinking FRSiB?

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

MOTHER DUCK!  I am Ranger trained and have taken lots of chances before I learned I was NOT immortal.  I refused to drive the New River Bridge.  Made my wife drive it while I cowered on the back seat.  Flashback to Calf Creek Falls, Utah. TRIED to drive the two lane road in Escalade  NWR around six PM.  A school bus (empty of kids) passed me on a blind corner.  I was going maybe 15 mph so it had plenty of time to cut me off when a semi appeared from the other direction.  The drop off on either side of the road according to a topo map I picked up was a minimum of 400 feet.

Can you tell that heights, even when I'm inside closed containers (like cars, buses, trains, planes, boxes) scare me IF I can see DOWN A LONG WAY.  Ugh!  Peachtree Tower in Atlanta has an elevator that goes up the outside of the building, pops through the roof, and opens into a revolving restaurant.  I was OKAY in the ride up but was not ready when the elevator passed through the roof and gave us all an unobstructed view of the horizon some 20 miles way.  I of course reacted by dropping to my knees.  Some guy with a HUGE mop of white hair and a thick Southern accent getting ON to go down saw me and remarked, "Son, you are supposed to crawl OUT if the bar, not INTO it."

Hey Harry,

When my wife and I went to visit her sister in L.A., they wanted to go horseback riding.  We found a place with horses and guides, and went to go riding in the mountains around Hollywood.  We did get close to the famous sign, but it's fenced off.  Before we started, had to sign waivers.  I was thinking 'yeah, everything is dangerous if you really think about it'.  We got out there and it was like the real life version of the Road Runner cartoons (like where the coyote falls from a great height).  Also, it turns out, horses prefer to walk on the very edge of the trail nearest the drop off.  It's their instinct so as to not get ambushed by a predator.

• I like it 2

OF Statesman, as I continue to thoroughly enjoy my new foray into clear ice.  I’ve not had this much fun with my whiskey since I don’t know when.  It’s so friggin’ easy, works so well, and looks so cool (besides, it also does have a functional contribution with a definite slower melt rate) that it will become a permanent addition to furthering my bourbon experience.  I love when new things take this hobby to a higher level of interest and enjoyment for me.  🤩

2082F74D-6F85-4F96-8A50-A1AEF0BFA90B.jpeg

• I like it 8

Last nights nightcap. Can’t make this bottle work for me. Went with a cube but ultimately turned it into YL. 😀

2360620F-1516-4E37-BBAB-CD2116CDD52C.jpeg

• I like it 3

EHTBP batch 10 is keeping me company while waiting for the rest of the family to arrive for a birthday dinner. 

AA99A603-70A5-4442-B876-ECC3E67832FB.jpeg

• I like it 6

8 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

EHTBP batch 10 is keeping me company while waiting for the rest of the family to arrive for a birthday dinner. 

I typically find that at a well stocked bar like you show, I’m OK that the family is slow to arrive…🤣🤣👍🏻

• I like it 7

Nats beat Atl to snap a 14? game losing streak the day after Juan Soto turned down a 15 year $400 million-plus contract.  I am celebrating the win and drowning my disappointment over Soto likely leaving with a recently purchased Eagle Rare.

• I like it 3

Freezer FRYL with prime hamburgers on the Weber - YUMMO!  😋 

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Radioyada said:

Happy Birthday! 

Biba! Joe

29 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Happy Birthday! 

Biba! Joe

Not mine (thank goodness), but thank you. It is my nephew’s day, so his family always goes out for a nice dinner. 

49 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Not mine (thank goodness), but thank you. It is my nephew’s day, so his family always goes out for a nice dinner. 

Hey, I’m flexible. Happy Birthday to your nephew! 🥳

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Radioyada said:

I like the looks of the sipper on the right.  Looks like it'd give good nose and finish.  Like it a lot.

• I like it 1

When I was doing my whiskey bracket head to heads one of the ones I ran into was 1792 small batch against OG 1920.  Going between glasses just made each better so I decided to try a blend  2 parts 1792/ 1 part 1920.  I encourage others to give it a try, it's fruity, cherry, oak.

blend.thumb.jpg.733574ea2f958f79c2bbe434dda50e1a.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, hughewil said:

When I was doing my whiskey bracket head to heads one of the ones I ran into was 1792 small batch against OG 1920.  Going between glasses just made each better so I decided to try a blend  2 parts 1792/ 1 part 1920.  I encourage others to give it a try, it's fruity, cherry, oak.

blend.thumb.jpg.733574ea2f958f79c2bbe434dda50e1a.jpg

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

Chocolate chip cookies with some OF1920 after dinner.

looks like markandrex and hugewil thinking alike.  I'll look around for open one and join party

• I like it 2

Now having a glass of this over a chunk of Ice.  

I got to be honest the difference between the 2 other than proof, I don't taste much.  

20220719_202638.thumb.jpg.b4d61ebb0776d44c06d19a33d6063b49.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.