What rye are you drinking/ purchased 2023

Mattk

This is really nice.  Especially, with a stated age of only “greater than 3 years”.   Exceptionally full oily and waxy mouthfeel.  Really coats the tongue.  The label describes it as “…sweet & savory notes of candied fruit, herbs, and spice.”  That pretty much is what it is.  The transitions between the sweet, to savory, to herbal, and spice on the back end, are seemless and glide through each.   A lot going on and very enjoyable.  This is the second Chattanooga Whiskey product that I have enjoyed.  Had their Bourbon Cask 111 proof that was good.  This rye is better, still.   

2E1C9E7E-4825-474B-BE13-FB4C829778E0.jpeg

• I like it 4

Baby Saz.  It has shown up in Indy recently so I grabbed a bottle. A little lighter on proof and less spicy than my typical rye preference. However, still a nice rye for sub $30.

• I like it 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:34 AM, flahute said:

Yep - cask strength Woodinville rye

Edited by kcgumbohead

On 2/15/2023 at 5:53 PM, smokinjoe said:

This is really nice.  Especially, with a stated age of only “greater than 3 years”.   Exceptionally full oily and waxy mouthfeel.  Really coats the tongue.  The label describes it as “…sweet & savory notes of candied fruit, herbs, and spice.”  That pretty much is what it is.  The transitions between the sweet, to savory, to herbal, and spice on the back end, are seemless and glide through each.   A lot going on and very enjoyable.  This is the second Chattanooga Whiskey product that I have enjoyed.  Had their Bourbon Cask 111 proof that was good.  This rye is better, still.   

Been to the downtown distillery several times in the last year and the rye has always stood out. I enjoy many of the Chatt offerings and I’m right there with you on the rye. They are doing some fine work up there.

• I like it 1

Gradually wading back into the tasting pool and this  week it was WTRB rye on Fryeday. A delicious mouth coating and very satisfying rye. 51% may be “ barely legal” but it’s unmalted and still a hefty percentage of rye which I find presents very well in conjunction with the spicy WT yeast. The 101 and RB are beautiful ryes.

• I like it 3

On 2/15/2023 at 4:53 PM, smokinjoe said:

14 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Been to the downtown distillery several times in the last year and the rye has always stood out. I enjoy many of the Chatt offerings and I’m right there with you on the rye. They are doing some fine work up there.

I agree with you both on the 99 Rye.  But my personal favorite has been the high proof single barrel store pick bourbon.   It's a richer version of 111 with a bit more depth.   It's unique flavor is addictive.

For comparison purposes with Pikesville. I'll get back to you all soon. Gotta blind SBS these two, because price and especially availability place Rittenhouse squarely in the "I want to like this" category. 

IMG_20230219_141644.jpg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

For comparison purposes with Pikesville. I'll get back to you all soon. Gotta blind SBS these two, because price and especially availability place Rittenhouse squarely in the "I want to like this" category. 

IMG_20230219_141644.jpg

Ritt is my go to for sure. Although I do also love pikesville. Lately ive seen store picks of ritt starting to pop up. Im looking forward to getting my hands on some.

• I like it 3

Did the SBS with Pikesville and Ritt. Rittenhouse is a solid Rye and will be purchased again on the regular, especially since I have this Manhattan habit that doesn't seem to go away. I will, however, go out of my way to obtain Pikesville in the future. There's a fermented stone fruit-like sweetness there that just plays perfectly with the Rye spice on the back end. 

• I like it 4

On 2/19/2023 at 9:47 PM, Thomm said:

Did the SBS with Pikesville and Ritt. Rittenhouse is a solid Rye and will be purchased again on the regular, especially since I have this Manhattan habit that doesn't seem to go away. I will, however, go out of my way to obtain Pikesville in the future. There's a fermented stone fruit-like sweetness there that just plays perfectly with the Rye spice on the back end. 

Pikesville Rye is my "deserted island" rye.   

• I like it 3

Pikesville neat last night. Still doing it for me. 

Am I right in assuming this stuff is showing up on the shelves again in parts of the country?  I can't seem to find it near me. 

Last night I stopped by a liquor store on my way home from work and asked for it--guy behind the counter punched it up on his computer and said they have had it in the past, but none in stock now. I asked him if he could tell me how long ago it was in, and he couldn't get that information. 

Then another counter guy chimes in.  He says, "I'm kinda the whiskey guy around here." I try to commiserate with him about the mysterious "this, but not that" nature of Heaven Hill products in Wisconsin, and he looks at me like I have three ears growing out of my forehead. So much for the Whiskey Guy. He did, however, direct me to his latest fave, a $90 bottle of Smoke Wagon rye. Such a helpful Whiskey Guy. 

• I like it 3

Its a bit young and a bit hot. But overall I really like this pour. It's fruity and spicy. With a sweet juicy fruit gum finish. I'd love to see the same distillate with age on it.

20230225_192823.jpg

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, Thomm said:

So much for the Whiskey Guy. He did, however, direct me to his latest fave, a $90 bottle of Smoke Wagon rye. Such a helpful Whiskey Guy. 

I mean…. technically I’m supposed to push my more expensive products at work too, even though some of the cheaper ones are actually better.  :o

Good luck on your search.  It’s still out there.  Check Illinois if you get there.

• I like it 1

Wife wanted some rye tonight, so I opened this.  It’s pretty good.

Their own distillate. 5yrs.

87% rye

7% malted barley 

5% wheat 

0D5A0AA0-C56D-4B80-8DA0-1B6A5EF74FDB.jpeg

• I like it 5

Arranging my thoughts for the upcoming busy week with a Baby Saz out on the front patio.  This rye is so unique and good neat, that I seldomly use it in a cocktail, anymore.  

• I like it 2

On 2/19/2023 at 4:59 PM, Mattk said:

Ritt is my go to for sure. Although I do also love pikesville. Lately ive seen store picks of ritt starting to pop up. Im looking forward to getting my hands on some.

I bought one locally. I need to open it and compare it to the standard version soon.

I finally got around to opening my bottle of Lock Stock & Barrel 16 year Rye this weekend.  I went back to it a few times under different circumstances (after noon, post dinner, cigar, etc).  I'm beginning to think that I'm not a big fan of Canadian rye. 

• I like it 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:23 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

20230225_201830.jpg

Ha! Red Yeti for Redskins tailgating I assume. I’ve got some blue yeti’s for Giants tailgating.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Ha! Red Yeti for Redskins tailgating I assume. I’ve got some blue yeti’s for Giants tailgating.

Guilty as charged!

Rittenhouse Manhattan tonight.  I don't think this bottle.is going to last very long. 

16776432819446863873132163203352.jpg

• I like it 4

I was having WT Rye yesterday and kept thinking - cedar cigar box, in a good way.

• I like it 3