Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

This was a good one, but its passing is in celebration of an upcoming Russell's pick:

12-101 empty.jpg

• I like it 10

Recently I've been pulling bottles from my bunker (as opposed to buying whatever is new and shiny) and pulled this store pick Old Forester.  I'd have to guess 2013-15 time frame, and bought several bottles.  For whatever reason, this bottle surprised me at how well it drank.  I didn't really remember the others being this nice.  But it was full of flavor, unmistakeable Old Forester, and at 90 proof something that sips easily.  Sad to see it go, as I didn't appreciate the other bottles as much as this, and wish I could have a few more!

For my palate Old Forester, Buffalo Trace (regular BT, or Eagle Rare), and some Four Roses never resonated as strongly as Wild Turkey (regular old 101, or Russell's Reserve, etc.), but again, if I could have a few extra of this, I'd be very happy.

IMG_7471.jpeg

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

86387C02-158B-4F7F-8407-41505E00C06D.thumb.jpeg.bb826bd334f0a8e1f0b02164626dec5a.jpeg

ive had some unremarkable eht small batch but this was a great one. 

Nice bokeh,

• I like it 3

Took out a VOB90. This has become a regular open on the cart for me. Got one waiting in the wings...

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Took out a VOB90. This has become a regular open on the cart for me. Got one waiting in the wings...

Me, too!  I love this whiskey for so many reasons.  QPR, proof, versatility, etc.  I regularly buy it by the Family Size, and fill up the kid 750.  👍🏻

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 2

I finished this one last night. I've come to enjoy and appreciate Beam over the past year more than I had in the past. 

I did a blind with this, a KC9, KC9 store pick, and a Bakers 7. The 12 was my favorite by a significant margin. But the 9 more than held it's own against the Bakers. It was so close that I can't justify buying Bakers over regular KC9.

Anyway, I need to dig another 12 out of the bunker.

20231212_213909.thumb.jpg.ae3174a4569c1672eef4adfc73ee3a5f.jpg

• I like it 4

48 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

I finished this one last night. I've come to enjoy and appreciate Beam over the past year more than I had in the past. 

I did a blind with this, a KC9, KC9 store pick, and a Bakers 7. The 12 was my favorite by a significant margin. But the 9 more than held it's own against the Bakers. It was so close that I can't justify buying Bakers over regular KC9.

Anyway, I need to dig another 12 out of the bunker.

20231212_213909.thumb.jpg.ae3174a4569c1672eef4adfc73ee3a5f.jpg

Nice analysis.  And I agree with 95% of this post.  But if the KC store pick did not win the blind, then personally I'd be looking for a different store for private barrel picks.  KC private picks (in their heyday anyway) were among some of my favorite affordable bottles.  .... YMMV 🤷‍♂️

• I like it 3

On 12/11/2023 at 10:57 AM, Jazz Nut said:

I'd have to guess 2013-15 time frame, and bought several bottles.

IMG_7471.jpeg

Maybe look at the paper faux "tax strip" on the other side?  Mine have the year bottled printed on the faux tax strip.

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

Nice analysis.  And I agree with 95% of this post.  But if the KC store pick did not win the blind, then personally I'd be looking for a different store for private barrel picks.  KC private picks (in their heyday anyway) were among some of my favorite affordable bottles.  .... YMMV 🤷‍♂️

I hear you about the store pick, but since this blind wasn't sanctioned by the governing body I changed the rules half way through the blind. 🙂

I disqualified the store pick for being on steroids.  At least in this instance I was able to pick out the higher proof and decided to put the  store pick in a higher weight class with Booker's etc.

• I like it 3

Some for the bin.

The WT 101, great as always.

The JWD I’m reaching for more often than not. The fact that I can pay with a 20 and get change back for 1L is incredible.

The HH7 is a nice treat every now and then. Normally ~$60 around me but I found a store that has it at $47.99, so I pick a bottle up from time to time.

The JB was a 7/10 as far as 108proof single barrels from them go. Not bad at all.

The 1843 was a nice surprise. It was my first, and I’ll sure be buying more when it turns up. IMG_5445.thumb.jpeg.1aa5344e9d97e7463e862db4a10569dc.jpeg

• I like it 6

I'm getting marginally better at this culling thing....

20231214_214418.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

I felt like I was always searching for its greatness. I did find it a few times. Did it need one drop of water or two? Always neat.

Not a bad bottle to find at a grocery store on the bottom shelf when I was on a business trip looking for shaving cream.  

IMG_1647.jpeg

Edited by MM818
  • I like it 6

1 hour ago, MM818 said:

I felt like I was always searching for its greatness. I did find it a few times. Did it need one drop of water or two? Always neat.

Not a bad bottle to find at a grocery store on the bottom shelf when I was on a business trip looking for shaving cream.  

IMG_1647.jpeg

Which year release was this?

Sorry, I can't read it.

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

Which year release was this?

Sorry, I can't read it.

2017. Also have a 2016. Haven’t been lucky since. 

• I like it 1

I was beginning to worry about the final four or so ounces of my 2010 WLW oxidizing, so when a friend invited me over to drink some bourbon last night I brought it along and shared the last of it. Truly a lovely whiskey that I hope to one day purchase at retail again like I did with this bottle....

WLW.jpg

• I like it 10

On 12/14/2023 at 6:32 AM, Davesnothere said:

I hear you about the store pick, but since this blind wasn't sanctioned by the governing body I changed the rules half way through the blind. 🙂

I disqualified the store pick for being on steroids.  At least in this instance I was able to pick out the higher proof and decided to put the  store pick in a higher weight class with Booker's etc.

Suspended for PEDs haha. I like it.  And yeah I agree KC9 SiB 120 proof makes more sense with Booker's and other heavyweights.  Well done sir!

• I like it 1

One of my stalwarts, always have one open. However I find myself without a backup, a rarely seen occurrence. Its slot will be filled by a bottle of Willet. I know, a first world problem.

IMG_0737.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 12/14/2023 at 10:11 PM, MM818 said:

I mean no 4R LE is meh, but I agree about the 2017.  The one I have opened now is probably the least favorite of the ones I've had. Still good though.

• I like it 1

My last Old Ezra 7yr 101 KSBW bit the dust yesterday after I spent an hour pitch forking compost from cubic yard bin #3 into bin #4 then Bin #2 into bin #3 and finally bin #1 into bin #2 (a semi-annual task that won't need doing until MAY 2024!!!!). Bin 3 to 4 is the hardest - almost finished compost - with 1 to 2 easiest because bin 1 gets all the loose NEW stuff.  Nevertheless, I celebrated with the OE.  According to the Ezra Brooks website, the 7yr 101 is no longer sold; I will miss it as it has been my Autumn outdoor chore celebratory bourbon for years.  Its mushroom, leaf mold, slightly sooty notes went well with the outdoor smell on my clothes.

Also finished off a 4R SmB Select while doing dishes last night.  Had about an ounce in the bottom of the bottle so decided to clear some shelf space for a bunkered back-up - holidays coming up, and I just HAVE to get ready to cope with relatives.:wacko:

• I like it 3