Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

Two more gone.

The Longbranch is better than you've been led to believe.  It's fine but the problem is the price doesn't make sense for what it is.

The MM FAE-02 is pretty excellent but not that much different than a lot of their store picks. It was nearly 20 bucks less money than those however.

20231109_182157.thumb.jpg.b290fa80750d58175c6a10a0a815d306.jpg

• I like it 3

Group that went out to the bin last night.  All were excellent.

This was my first Chattanooga. Interesting and very enjoyable break  from more standard pours.

The ECs were both great as usual. Love the 94 proof picks when I find them.

The FR was bought and mainly drank during a hot spell here a couple weeks ago.

Hadn’t had 114 in a while. It really hit the spot.

IMG_5298.jpeg

• I like it 6

Well, I took a closer look at the things  I would need for my bottle candle, light, bourbon glass and lamp projects. 🤯 Long story short, I took 60 empties to our recycle center today. All I kept were around a dozen bottle that were mostly of sentimental value. What can I say?  🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 3

On 11/12/2023 at 6:28 AM, Grady330 said:

Killed off a Bombergers 2023, so sad.....

Just got some, looking forward to trying it.

• I like it 1

On 11/9/2023 at 7:42 PM, Kepler said:

Two more gone.

The Longbranch is better than you've been led to believe.  It's fine but the problem is the price doesn't make sense for what it is.

The MM FAE-02 is pretty excellent but not that much different than a lot of their store picks. It was nearly 20 bucks less money than those however.

20231109_182157.thumb.jpg.b290fa80750d58175c6a10a0a815d306.jpg

I meant to respond to this earlier.  The Longbranch is one of my “Didn't expect to care for it going in, but surprisingly enough I enjoy it so much that I’ve purchased multiple bottles” bourbon.  Your, “better than you’ve been led to believe” is such a spot on comment.  👍🏻
I put Legent in the same category.  

• I like it 4

On 11/15/2023 at 4:34 PM, smokinjoe said:

I meant to respond to this earlier.  The Longbranch is one of my “Didn't expect to care for it going in, but surprisingly enough I enjoy it so much that I’ve purchased multiple bottles” bourbon.  Your, “better than you’ve been led to believe” is such a spot on comment.  👍🏻
I put Legent in the same category.  

Yup I did really enjoy mine this past summer.  I found it to be a nice hot weather pour.  I think I have another bottle.  I put it right there with RR10 -- not my favorite Turkey by any means but a solid pour, and better than it gets credit for.

• I like it 2

What I have personally learned in aging is that various things don't work as well as they used to. (I'm sure Harry is familiar with that. Ha.) I am continuously learning the hard way that one should be very cautious in removing the cork from a barrel long stored in the bunker. These days, that means most bottles that I pull from the bunker.

Finished off an OFBB 2012 tonight. Cork failed on the last pour that it had left. This particular cork was from a 2011 OFBB, as a previous opening gave forth to a failed cork. What the shit.

Pat

20231116_183246.jpg

• I like it 7

On 11/16/2023 at 6:52 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

What I have personally learned in aging is that various things don't work as well as they used to. (I'm sure Harry is familiar with that. Ha.) I am continuously learning the hard way that one should be very cautious in removing the cork from a barrel long stored in the bunker. These days, that means most bottles that I pull from the bunker.

Finished off an OFBB 2012 tonight. Cork failed on the last pour that it had left. This particular cork was from a 2011 OFBB, as a previous opening gave forth to a failed cork. What the shit.

Pat

20231116_183246.jpg

Yep, cork shit happens, and when it does, that definitely sucks.  Well, at least you were at the last pours from the bottle. 

But more to the point, inquiring minds want to know, ... how was the whiskey (OFBB 2012)???

I know a lot of people shat on this bottle, but I don’t think it was as terrible as everyone said.  Yes it’s a bit young tasting @ 5 years, but not undrinkable.  Sugar cookie, vanilla, and a kiss of lemon frosting.

It also made the best hot toddy’s.

I’ll miss it a little bit.  🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_8160.jpeg

• I like it 2

58 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I know a lot of people shat on this bottle, but I don’t think it was as terrible as everyone said.  Yes it’s a bit young tasting @ 5 years, but not undrinkable.  Sugar cookie, vanilla, and a kiss of lemon frosting.

It also made the best hot toddy’s.

I’ll miss it a little bit.  🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_8160.jpeg

I don't think I ever even saw that bottle.  The one I did see that people said to steer clear of was Big Level, which was a wheated bourbon as well. 

18 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I don't think I ever even saw that bottle.  The one I did see that people said to steer clear of was Big Level, which was a wheated bourbon as well. 

Big Level is the 6 year+ version of this.

This label was only used for the first release and I believe it was only sold in WV.

• I like it 1

The '07 WTKS will be missed.  I've had several WTKS from that year and this one was my favorite so far. I reckon it's somewhat of a honey barrel, at least from that particular year.  The only KY Spirit I've owned that I like better is a 2006 (I don't have any older than that).

The Decades is my house staple pour for well-aged Turkey. I bought a couple cases at a discount and I'm glad I did.  (this was before the rapid increase in Master's Keep pricing).

20231119_163253.thumb.jpg.8ec8725ba8298963fe613019d66e1b31.jpg

• I like it 12

Getting myself setup for turkey day by emptying a couple of bottles on this football Sunday. Finished off a bottle of FR Small Batch Select and a older Stagg Jr. bottle. I think at least one more bottle will be emptied before Thursday which will make room for some new bottles to settle into the cabinet for the holidays this year. 

Hope everyone has a good week and for those of you traveling, hope you enjoy the trip and travel safely!

• I like it 4

On 11/18/2023 at 8:21 PM, Kepler said:

Yep, cork shit happens, and when it does, that definitely sucks.  Well, at least you were at the last pours from the bottle. 

But more to the point, inquiring minds want to know, ... how was the whiskey (OFBB 2012)???

The whiskey was quite good. I have been an OF fan for a long time, and the 2012 hit all the notes. I have one remaining OFBB, 2013. That particular vintage has some lovers and haters. I think SKU gave it an F all those years ago.

At first sip this one seemed to drink hot for 100pf, but it really turned out to be a cinnamon bomb. I liked it well enough, but if I remember correctly it was around $50, that's a bit too much for me.

20231119_111844.thumb.jpg.ca706933831b1d34eb345a39d3368fba.jpg

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 1

13 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

At first sip this one seemed to drink hot for 100pf, but it really turned out to be a cinnamon bomb. I liked it well enough, but if I remember correctly it was around $50, that's a bit too much for me.

20231119_111844.thumb.jpg.ca706933831b1d34eb345a39d3368fba.jpg

I had one of those and I won't miss it.  

That bottle though.  It's really slick.