Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

7 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

But they are sooooo goood….

Agreed, but I have a spare....always a staple on our bar....

• I like it 1

I know, I know.  But somebody has to inject some harsh reality into this thread.  Take a good look, folks.  This is where they end up.  Disgraceful.

IMG_20231002_184223.jpg

I’ve emptied a few lately. The remnants of the MM 1.75 was actually decanted into an empty MM 750. I also had some help with the Rebel 100 and my 2023 Weller Blend. Shared those at a few get togethers of our local group, and also shared some samples. One of the empty BT’s might be one I forgot to throw out last time. 🤨

IMG_2719.thumb.jpeg.79faab3a1af0701eb05a526056581d97.jpeg

• I like it 3

Emptied this last night watching the finale of Ashoka.  I bought 2 cases a few weeks ago.  As I have said, I am a sucker for anything out of the Camp Nelson rickhouses.

image0.jpeg

• I like it 6

On 9/23/2023 at 11:08 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I had to chuckle about your comment JC. My employee number at work was 86. There were times in argumentative but friendly banter that I’d say to someone, “You’re 86’d.” Some of the younger folks didn’t have a clue. The older folks just chuckled. There was one younger guy that I liked. One day he asked me what my comment meant. I had to tell him. I told him the polite version meant to “trash or throw out” something. The impolite version meant “ get the f**k out”. He smiled and said he liked the impolite version better. We had a good laugh about that. 😆

My understanding of to 86 came from an early movie of Marlon Brando.  He and a lady entered a bar.  The waitress told Brando he could stay, but the lady was reminded that on her previous visit, she was told she's not allowed back.

Brando later told someone else the lady had been 86ed from that place.

I knew what it meant from context, but looked it up out of curiosity.  One meaning is to deny service, another is to reject or throw away.

• I like it 1

On 10/6/2023 at 8:56 PM, PaulO said:

My understanding of to 86 came from an early movie of Marlon Brando.  He and a lady entered a bar.  The waitress told Brando he could stay, but the lady was reminded that on her previous visit, she was told she's not allowed back.

Brando later told someone else the lady had been 86ed from that place.

I knew what it meant from context, but looked it up out of curiosity.  One meaning is to deny service, another is to reject or throw away.

Back in the early 70s, I worked as a short order cook in a 24hr restaurant.  When we would run out of an item that was on the menu, e.g., baked potatoes, special of the day, etc., we would announce over the p.a. "86 bakers", "86 specials", etc., so the waitresses would know not to take any more orders for that item.  Just using the word "waitress" shows how long I've been on this planet haha.. 

• I like it 5

On 10/8/2023 at 8:36 AM, fosmith said:

Back in the early 70s, I worked as a short order cook in a 24hr restaurant.  When we would run out of an item that was on the menu, e.g., baked potatoes, special of the day, etc., we would announce over the p.a. "86 bakers", "86 specials", etc., so the waitresses would know not to take any more orders for that item.  Just using the word "waitress" shows how long I've been on this planet haha.. 

The REALLY old guys here used to call them "serving wenches."

• I like it 2

Back on topic.  This was delicious!  Distilled in IN, KY, and TN.  A great balance between the KY style and the high rye IN style.  Too bad it's 86 here at the Smith house.  😉

Stellum rye empty.jpg

• I like it 4

Finishing up an EC B523.

I enjoyed this one. Perhaps not the best ECBP, but in my opinion none of them are ever less than very good.

20231012_193203.thumb.jpg.c9a0ec1fc1c5d01f9253204c686e19b0.jpg

• I like it 4

Went on a tear the last 2 weekends and polished off the some good-uns with 1 or 2 pours left... (Not pictured - HMK, VOB100, KC9)

20230924_090327.jpg.168365b30468f2f200710998d17c60f4.jpg

20231004_144153.jpg.916724ddf26e4a7becdaa304adfe4e91.jpg

• I like it 6

On 10/12/2023 at 5:40 PM, Davesnothere said:

Finishing up an EC B523.

I enjoyed this one. Perhaps not the best ECBP, but in my opinion none of them are ever less than very good.

I've said it many times, saying "this is not the best ECBP" is like saying, "this is not the most attractive Victoria's Secret model."

• I like it 5

Continuing the extended bunker beat down. Finished these guys off over the last few weeks. 

@IamMatt, I like your comparison above to not the most attractive VS model. Funny.

Pat

20231013_221250.jpg

• I like it 6

4 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Went on a tear the last 2 weekends and polished off the some good-uns with 1 or 2 pours left... (Not pictured - HMK, VOB100, KC9)

20230924_090327.jpg.168365b30468f2f200710998d17c60f4.jpg

20231004_144153.jpg.916724ddf26e4a7becdaa304adfe4e91.jpg

Very nice work there.  👍

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Continuing the extended bunker beat down. Finished these guys off over the last few weeks. 

@IamMatt, I like your comparison above to not the most attractive VS model. Funny.

Pat

20231013_221250.jpg

The one on the right there... 🤤 😢

• I like it 1

On 10/4/2023 at 5:51 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I’ve emptied a few lately. The remnants of the MM 1.75 was actually decanted into an empty MM 750. I also had some help with the Rebel 100 and my 2023 Weller Blend. Shared those at a few get togethers of our local group, and also shared some samples. One of the empty BT’s might be one I forgot to throw out last time. 🤨

Serious work right there, 👍

Cheers

• I like it 1

On 10/4/2023 at 5:51 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

How does the Rebel Yell 100 compare to Larceny, for you?  

Cheers

• I like it 1

On 10/12/2023 at 7:40 PM, Davesnothere said:

Finishing up an EC B523.

20231012_193203.thumb.jpg.c9a0ec1fc1c5d01f9253204c686e19b0.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree.all batched ECBP is somewhere between really good and excellent. Unfortunately there's a much wider delta with tge ECBP private select bottles I've had. One I tried was as good as any ECBP I've ever had. One I recently finished was hot and not very complex. 

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

The one on the right there... 🤤 😢

I have one left, and I am delaying, delaying, delaying the inevitable. :) 

• I like it 3

The saddest empty bottles of all: The shattered ones whose contents never touched thirsty lips. I have transported, directly and via the indispensable mules, over 1,000 bottles, about 60 of which were EC. I've only lost two. ECBP C922 and now ECBP B522. Both were in a zillion pieces and very well-padded & protected. That leads me to believe that it was low pressure in the hold and flawed bottles that led to an explosion.

Conclusion: The bottle is pretty but perhaps not physically ideal. Getting ready to move some ECBP C923. It'd be a crying shame to lose one of those. I think I will wrap them in bubble wrap with tight duct tape in the hopes that helps against low air pressure.

Any suggestions are welcome to avert further alcohol abuse.

PS: It seems that transporting A122 would be highly contraindicated by The Jinx.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Anwalt said:

The saddest empty bottles of all: The shattered ones whose contents never touched thirsty lips. I have transported, directly and via the indispensable mules, over 1,000 bottles, about 60 of which were EC. I've only lost two. ECBP C922 and now ECBP B522. Both were in a zillion pieces and very well-padded & protected. That leads me to believe that it was low pressure in the hold and flawed bottles that led to an explosion.

Conclusion: The bottle is pretty but perhaps not physically ideal. Getting ready to move some ECBP C923. It'd be a crying shame to lose one of those. I think I will wrap them in bubble wrap with tight duct tape in the hopes that helps against low air pressure.

Any suggestions are welcome to avert further alcohol abuse.

PS: It seems that transporting A122 would be highly contraindicated by The Jinx.

Can you buy the bubble bags (like Caskers use} online? Also they tightly tape /shrink wrap the cork down. My order was all round bottles BTW. 

• I like it 1

When I have shipped bottles I use laser jet cartridge bubble sleeves.  I put aside a lot of these when I was working.

IMG_1091.jpeg

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, markandrex said:

When I have shipped bottles I use laser jet cartridge bubble sleeves.  I put aside a lot of these when I was working.

IMG_1091.jpeg

I used these bags both times. They protect quite well against impact. Doubly so given how I pack (e.g., super hard shell suitcase, bottles touch no edge of the suitcase, lots of tennis shoes, clothes, etc.). That and the very high number of fragments are what led me to believe it was the low pressure in the hold.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

I used these bags both times. They protect quite well against impact. Doubly so given how I pack (e.g., super hard shell suitcase, bottles touch no edge of the suitcase, lots of tennis shoes, clothes, etc.). That and the very high number of fragments are what led me to believe it was the low pressure in the hold.

I would agree with your low pressure theory on a purely gut reaction.  I would think that Occam’s Razor would apply here.

• I like it 2

I will actually miss this one more than most that I have finished off. I have not been searching for it of late, but have not seen it in the wild for quite a long while.

Pat

20231017_203031.jpg

• I like it 2