Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

20 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

The whiskey was quite good. I have been an OF fan for a long time, and the 2012 hit all the notes. I have one remaining OFBB, 2013. That particular vintage has some lovers and haters. I think SKU gave it an F all those years ago.

Sounds great. 👍 I haven't had that one. 

• I like it 1

On 11/22/2023 at 9:23 AM, MM818 said:

New Riff forever! Love these 4 year single barrels. This one tasted like RC Cola,

if that’s even possible! 

I haven't had RC cola for so long that I don't remember what it tastes like ... other than a vague "cola" flavor.

What I do know is that I really enjoy the flavor of New Riff bourbon.  Next time I have a pour from my SiB I'll look for the cola flavor!

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

I haven't had RC cola for so long that I don't remember what it tastes like ... other than a vague "cola" flavor.

I like to use the three bears analogy with some things. RC is one of them. Pepsi is a bit sweet. Coke is a bit harsh. RC is just right. ☺️

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

What I do know is that I really enjoy the flavor of New Riff bourbon.  Next time I have a pour from my SiB I'll look for the cola flavor!

I’m curious what happens to that New Riff tastiness when that juice doubles in age. Would it thin out or consolidate those flavors? 

10 hours ago, MM818 said:

I’m curious what happens to that New Riff tastiness when that juice doubles in age. Would it thin out or consolidate those flavors? 

Good question.  It should be fun to see how it plays out.

I finished a few the last couple of weeks or so. I’m not sure if I’ll make another batch of my HH BIB blend or not. We’ll see.

IMG_4936.thumb.jpeg.2d814aa64e7530017ab4fedef35fee31.jpeg

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I finished a few the last couple of weeks or so. I’m not sure if I’ll make another batch of my HH BIB blend or not. We’ll see.

IMG_4936.thumb.jpeg.2d814aa64e7530017ab4fedef35fee31.jpeg

OK, I give up - did I miss the recipe for your HH Blend?  Maybe 50:50 HH6yr BiB white label and HH7yr BiB brownish label???  Do tell, please.  🙏

On 11/24/2023 at 6:47 AM, MM818 said:

They don't seem to be moving in that direction.  They were 4yr min. when first released how many years ago?  They're still in that range, at least the ones I've seen.  So, maybe that's the sweet spot for them? 

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

OK, I give up - did I miss the recipe for your HH Blend?  Maybe 50:50 HH6yr BiB white label and HH7yr BiB brownish label???  Do tell, please.  🙏

EW , JTS BROWN  and  JW Dant  BIB’s. The first fill of the handle was a couple cups of each. When the bottle got down some, I tried adding equal parts of each. I wondered why I had more Dant left. CRS had kicked in. I forgot it comes in liter bottles.  🤦🏻‍♂️ I just dumped the rest in.  I mean, they’re all 100 proof, right? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 3

The latest batch that has gone down the hatch.

The KC12 I like a lot, every bottle.  Granted, the price differential over the KC9 is a bit hard to take.  The QPR of the KC9 is clearly better, IMHO, but the 12 is so, so good.  C'est la vie.

The Calumet 15 yr. is in my wheelhouse, for sure.  It is pricey, yes.  But, for a splurge, I really enjoy it.  (I do like the 16 yr. a bit more, but there is around a $30 upcharge for the extra year.  Sigh.)

The ER10 has a regular place in my cabinet and I enjoy it whenever it is poured.  Nothing sensational, mind you.  But, a quality bourbon that is easy to drink and provides a satisfying experience.  The trick these days is to find it occasionally around list price, because it is not worth what you see on the secondary market.

The HH BiB 7yr. is a polarizing release on this site, I recognize.  For those who used to get the 6 yr. at ridiculously low prices, this bottle has always been an overpriced cash grab.  For those of us without that background, it's a very nice mid-priced quality bourbon.  Now that I can get this routinely for $40, I keep a bottle around.

The Barrell Batch 034 is another in a long line of winners from these wizards of blended whiskies.  I don't like all of the releases equally well, but most all are at least good and often (like this one) they are very fine, indeed.  While $80 is not cheap, if you want to have a real winner in your cabinet for occasions deemed special by you, these Barrell releases are mighty damn dependable in my experience.

I am struck that (mainly due to the superb guidance of my fellow SBers) I rarely end up with any dud bottles these days.  Despite the annoying trend in pricing, this is truly a golden age for us whiskey drinkers.

Empty Bottles 112723.jpg

• I like it 10

Does anyone else smash their empty bottles on the floor and yell "Opa!"

Yeah, me neither.  Just checking.  😀

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

The Calumet 15 yr. is in my wheelhouse, for sure.  It is pricey, yes.  But, for a splurge, I really enjoy it.  (I do like the 16 yr. a bit more, but there is around a $30 upcharge for the extra year.  Sigh.)

Calumet 15 is worth the $100-ish price more than a lot of bottles are worth their $50-$60-$80-ish prices. 

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Does anyone else smash their empty bottles on the floor and yell "Opa!"

Yes I do this for every bottle I empty.  I thought everyone did this ... no?  🤪

On 11/27/2023 at 5:13 PM, Swamp55 said:

The KC12 I like a lot, every bottle.  Granted, the price differential over the KC9 is a bit hard to take.  The QPR of the KC9 is clearly better, IMHO, but the 12 is so, so good.  C'est la vie.

The ER10 has a regular place in my cabinet and I enjoy it whenever it is poured.  Nothing sensational, mind you.  But, a quality bourbon that is easy to drink and provides a satisfying experience.  The trick these days is to find it occasionally around list price, because it is not worth what you see on the secondary market.

The HH BiB 7yr. is a polarizing release on this site, I recognize.  For those who used to get the 6 yr. at ridiculously low prices, this bottle has always been an overpriced cash grab.  For those of us without that background, it's a very nice mid-priced quality bourbon.  Now that I can get this routinely for $40, I keep a bottle around.

The Barrell Batch 034 is another in a long line of winners from these wizards of blended whiskies.  I don't like all of the releases equally well, but most all are at least good and often (like this one) they are very fine, indeed.  While $80 is not cheap, if you want to have a real winner in your cabinet for occasions deemed special by you, these Barrell releases are mighty damn dependable in my experience.

I am struck that (mainly due to the superb guidance of my fellow SBers) I rarely end up with any dud bottles these days.  Despite the annoying trend in pricing, this is truly a golden age for us whiskey drinkers.

Empty Bottles 112723.jpg

Great work -- very nice lineup there!  I like your notes too.  Count me as a Barrell Bourbon fan.  Big fan.

• I like it 1

Sorry to see this one go.  I understand it was the first time Sierra did a store pick.  Delicious creamy, and oaky, like an older, more refined Cooper's Craft 100 or OF 1920.  Three-year-old MGP but you would never guess it.  I have had good luck with this store's picks but it is about 45 minutes away.

Sierra Cypress Store Pick.jpg

• I like it 1

It's not a bourbon, but I finished this guy about a week ago.  I'm bummed as I bought this several years ago, and have been sipping on it for the last couple of years.  I really like it, and am gonna miss it.  Have been searching for a backup this whole time and have yet to find one at MSRP.  Oh well, I have a lot of other ryes to move on too.

20231129_212952.jpg

• I like it 4

2392EFD6-935A-4DC8-B4FF-D665113A6EF8.thumb.jpeg.e826dd809106ddaf551e22e61e9d2f73.jpeg

Grew on me. I told anwalt it reminded me of HH7bib a little. Kind of dough-y…I guess thats baking spices, never really knew what that meant. Overall a good enjoyable pour. Wouldnt mind another if it was a little cheaper. 

• I like it 3

On 11/30/2023 at 9:17 PM, FasterHorses said:

2392EFD6-935A-4DC8-B4FF-D665113A6EF8.thumb.jpeg.e826dd809106ddaf551e22e61e9d2f73.jpeg

Grew on me. I told anwalt it reminded me of HH7bib a little. Kind of dough-y…I guess thats baking spices, never really knew what that meant. Overall a good enjoyable pour. Wouldnt mind another if it was a little cheaper. 

Not to disparage your post at all, but just last night I had a casual SBS of medium-aged MGP.  I compared this Remus Repeal 7 to version 2, and .... there was no comparison.  The Repeal batch 2 was noticeably better.  And I paid about $25 less for the batch 2.  I used to be a big proponent of Remus Repeal bourbon, but I think I'm backing off of that now moving forward.  The price has crept up and the quality had declined.... so the value proposition is no longer there.

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Not to disparage your post at all, but just last night I had a casual SBS of medium-aged MGP.  I compared this Remus Repeal 7 to version 2, and .... there was no comparison.  The Repeal batch 2 was noticeably better.  And I paid about $25 less for the batch 2.  I used to be a big proponent of Remus Repeal bourbon, but I think I'm backing off of that now moving forward.  The price has crept up and the quality had declined.... so the value proposition is no longer there.

I would definitely agree. The magic is gone and the price will more than likely be a deal breaker. The early ones had more going on. I think its a fairly common business model unfortunately. 

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I think its a fairly common business model unfortunately. 

Good point.  It's so true that it's probably time for cheap bastards like me to stop grumbling about it and just accept it! 😃

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1