Empty Bottle(s) Support Group for 2023:

On 10/17/2023 at 4:57 AM, Anwalt said:

The saddest empty bottles of all: The shattered ones whose contents never touched thirsty lips.

One of the guys at the whiskey tasting dinner I attended two days ago had a shelf collapse in his bar.  He gets the good stuff, so he lost Old Carters, OF Birthday bourbons, Old Fitzes, etc.  Many thousands of clams.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, IamMatt said:

One of the guys at the whiskey tasting dinner I attended two days ago had a shelf collapse in his bar.  He gets the good stuff, so he lost Old Carters, OF Birthday bourbons, Old Fitzes, etc.  Many thousands of clams.

I am now busy being super grateful. Perspective.....

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Not going to like your post because this situation sucks.  Obviously, he wasn't an engineer.  Structural loading is important. 😀

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Not going to like your post because this situation sucks.  Obviously, he wasn't an engineer.  Structural loading is important. 😀

I am (was) a civil engineer and store all of my whisk(e)y on the floor - minimizes losses.   No need for structural loading analysis.   Just takes up more room next to the washing machine and dryer!   😂

• I like it 7

Beyond 'structural loading' issues...

Has anyone figured out a way to protect their special bottles against natural disasters (earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, etc.), as well as human wrought dangers such as bombs, trucks/planes/automobiles crashing into homes?

The only storage I've found likely to be foolproof is to drink those babies and save the experiential notes instead.   HA!   (And, that does not protect against dementia... uh-oh!... I think I've lost the game already!)

• I like it 7

This is the empty decanter thread, right?

Not to worry, I was prepared for this eventuality, (inevitably?)😎

20231020_193920.jpg

20231020_194014.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 4

16 hours ago, GeeTen said:

I am (was) a civil engineer and store all of my whisk(e)y on the floor - minimizes losses.   No need for structural loading analysis.   Just takes up more room next to the washing machine and dryer!   😂

As a fellow engineer, I believe in keeping things simple and not over analyzing the seemingly simple.  Good Engineering Practice (GEP) is a desired approach but I sometimes practice GEE (Good Enough Engineering). 

As I typed this, I note your screen name is GeeTen which makes me wonder if you practiced the same principle.  😜

11 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

This is the empty decanter thread, right?

Not to worry, I was prepared for this eventuality, (inevitably?)😎

20231020_193920.jpg

20231020_194014.jpg

John J. Bowman Jingleheimer Schmidt.

download.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, mwmac said:

Sad to see the end of this one, 2008 WL Weller.

PXL_20231020_164610633 (1).jpg

The clock eventually strikes 12, er, 1:54 on every bottle.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Has anyone figured out a way to protect their special bottles against natural disasters (earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, etc.), as well as human wrought dangers such as bombs, trucks/planes/automobiles crashing into homes?

The only storage I've found likely to be foolproof is to drink those babies and save the experiential notes instead.   HA!   (And, that does not protect against dementia... uh-oh!... I think I've lost the game already!)

Great minds think alike.  

18 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Plus they're easier to reach after the 4th or 5th pour since you're down there anyway.

• I like it 5

On 10/17/2023 at 9:58 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

I will actually miss this one more than most that I have finished off. I have not been searching for it of late, but have not seen it in the wild for quite a long while.

Pat

20231017_203031.jpg

I have not seen one of those for years, may be discontinued.

• I like it 1

On 10/17/2023 at 8:58 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

I will actually miss this one more than most that I have finished off. I have not been searching for it of late, but have not seen it in the wild for quite a long while.

Pat

20231017_203031.jpg

Sadly, this one is non-existent around my parts.  I suspect, these barrels are going right to CEHT varieties.  

Cheers

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

As a fellow engineer, I believe in keeping things simple and not over analyzing the seemingly simple.  Good Engineering Practice (GEP) is a desired approach but I sometimes practice GEE (Good Enough Engineering). 

As I typed this, I note your screen name is GeeTen which makes me wonder if you practiced the same principle.  😜

After official retirement from the Engineering Consulting world, GEE has become a mantra for a simpler life for me.  But in reality, GeeTen was my mother's attempt to anglesize my Chinese middle name (and not a rank or paygrade!).   HTH - 🥰 

• I like it 1

Rough week for bottles. Bookers 2015-2, nearly full. Right through the top of the tube.

Clumsy SOB that I am.

😪

Broken.jpg

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Rough week for bottles. Bookers 2015-2, nearly full. Right through the top of the tube.

Clumsy SOB that I am.

😪

Awww!   SHITE!    Boy I know how that feels, too.   An entire bottle of something one is looking forward to tasting and hopefully enjoying down the drain... Worse; On The Floor!!!!   To clean up!

IF I were more religious, I'd say a prayer for you, my friend.   (My religious faith isn't strong enough for me to 'waste' any prayers that may be urgently needed later. HA!)

• I like it 3

19 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

John J. Bowman Jingleheimer Schmidt.

download.jpg

Good Lawd! 

My wife saw the bottle, and started singing.."John J Bowman Jingleheimer Schmidt..."  🤣

You can't make this shit up!😅

• I like it 6

On 10/20/2023 at 1:15 PM, mwmac said:

Sad to see the end of this one, 2008 WL Weller.

PXL_20231020_164610633 (1).jpg

Oooh Mike. I know the feeling. I finished a 2020(?) WLW a good while ago. I reached way back in the bunker and grabbed one of my remaining 2007 WLW’s and opened it. I’ve been nursing it slowly every since. There’s a little less than half left. Sigh. Cheers my Hoosier brother! 

We should just bust empty bottles on the floor like Greeks do with plates when celebrating birthdays.  Opa!

Ugh!

Not about the empty bottle, but my beloved Washington Whatevers shit the bed,(yet again), against the G-men.😖

There wasn't much left in the bottle,  so I "cut" it, with some WTRB. It's about a 50/50 blend.  

The blend must be working, because I'm already feeling better!😎

20231022_162503.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

On 10/20/2023 at 3:14 AM, Richnimrod said:

I have in fact earthquake proofed my bunker!

• I like it 3