What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

On 3/13/2023 at 3:10 PM, scratchline said:

I've been looking for this since Christmas.  I wanted to give some bottles for gifts and couldn't find it anywhere in California.  Kept looking when I got back east and haven't had any luck.  Finally found one today and couldn't resist opening it right up.  This takes me back to some Kentucky Spirit that I picked up over 10 years ago in New Jersey.   Since then I've purchased it a handful of times, some store picks, and found it just fine.  But this is sooo good.  I poured a little 101 to compare since I've heard a lot about how Kentucky Spirit is just single barrel 101.  No comparison.  Even the color is deeper.  The nose is dustier, and the finish is richer and longer.  Perfectly balanced, pepper and sugar.  I know a lot of folks prefer Russell's or Rare Breed but this is right in my sweet spot.  I even like this label better than the previous version.

IMG_0746.thumb.jpg.95951d40e9ba8ca3437b523bf2f2cf2a.jpg

WTKS is definitely not single barrel 101. 101 is a blend of 6-8 yr barrels. What many people don't know is that when you go to WT to do a barrel pick in person, after you select your barrel Eddie asks if you want it as WTKS or RRSiB. These barrels are in the 8-10 yr range so definitely a cut above regular 101 unless you get a bad barrel (which happens!). Most of us want it as RRSiB of course but some stores will take it as WTKS in order to get more bottles.

I think us Turkey heads tend to prefer the other iterations not because of quality but because of price. WTKS used to be priced very closely to RRSiB so getting that extra proof made the most sense. WTRB used to be a decent amount less than WTKS so on price and proof it was also a no brainer.

• I like it 4

On 3/9/2023 at 2:42 PM, Anwalt said:

Special thanks to Obree for helping me find this one. We'll eventually get to posting.

Michter Rye.jpg

I quite like these.  Good pickup.

• I like it 2

I opened a new bottle of OGD BiB. I don't know if it's just me, but this is the second bottle that I think is ..... different/not good. Has anyone else noticed this with OGD lately?

7 hours ago, ebo said:

I opened a new bottle of OGD BiB. I don't know if it's just me, but this is the second bottle that I think is ..... different/not good. Has anyone else noticed this with OGD lately?

does it have a ginger taste to it?

I recently tried one that had a weird ginger thing going on.

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

Fresh crack this morning to go with the corned beef hash from leftovers.

20230318_102044.jpg

20230318_102222.jpg

That’s awesome.  I had the same thing this morning.

My coffee was bourbon barrel aged as well.  

After a side-by-side comparison between two Irish's (Bushmill's and Redbreast 12-yr. which I'd done before to commemorate St.Paddy's Day ...a day late -- too beat up after my volunteer day at the park on Friday) I cracked a 'new' bottle of EWSB.   This one is from a small set of only a few bottles I was able to find from a decent barrel way back when.   It was barreled in April of '02; bottled in July of '12, so an honest 10-years.    It's very good, and I enjoyed it quite well.   Maybe even better after the two Irish ones, which I always find rather underwhelming and pretty one-dimensional.   

Incidentally, I again decided I liked the Redbreast 12 a shade better than the 'standard' Bushmill's; but, the differences are so subtle, I'd have a tough time picking either in a blind selection among other Irish whiskeys.    To me, Irish whiskey is all pretty similar, and not in a good way for my taste buddies.    They all seem to me rather bland and sweet.

Sorry for thread drift.

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

does it have a ginger taste to it?

I recently tried one that had a weird ginger thing going on.

That might be what it is. I can't put my finger on what is different about these last two bottles, but they are definitely 'off' from what I'm used to. Maybe it's me thats off...lol.

Fresh crack of a recent purchase. I tried it in the store so I knew I'd like it. It doesn't have that (as @0895 calls it) "hot peanuts and death" taste.

Lots of sweet oakiness with some spice at the end.

20230319_210852.jpg

• I like it 10

Cracked my bottle of the standard Russell's Reserve 10yr 90 proof last night and...was not wowed. Last two bottles I killed were a Rare Breed and a Knob Single Barrel Select, so maybe my palate has just been proofed up beyond recognition? The RR just seemed sort of flat. Interesting green apple note on the nose. I'll revisit throughout the weak, but this one may quickly end up back on the bar instead of spending the week on the TV room side table.

My evening rebounded nicely with some Calumet Farm 15 year. Love the oak!

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, stevegoz said:

Cracked my bottle of the standard Russell's Reserve 10yr 90 proof last night and...was not wowed. Last two bottles I killed were a Rare Breed and a Knob Single Barrel Select, so maybe my palate has just been proofed up beyond recognition? The RR just seemed sort of flat. Interesting green apple note on the nose. I'll revisit throughout the weak, but this one may quickly end up back on the bar instead of spending the week on the TV room side table.

I've experienced the same with the last couple RR10s I've went through. 

• I like it 2

On 3/19/2023 at 9:17 PM, Clueby said:

Fresh crack of a recent purchase. I tried it in the store so I knew I'd like it. It doesn't have that (as @0895 calls it) "hot peanuts and death" taste.

Lots of sweet oakiness with some spice at the end.

20230319_210852.jpg

I picked up a couple of these when the showed up locally.  Been a fan of the Knob Creek 12 year, one of my favorites so I was anxious to try the Single Barrel Select.  I was not disappointed at all.  Got that great KC flavor profile and very smooth.  Just got to be careful with this one, the proof sneaks up quickly on this one.  Dean

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, stevegoz said:

Try the Russell's Single Barrel Reserve.  A bit harder to find then some of the other WT or Russell's offerings but one of my WT/Russells favorites.  To me even better than the Rare Breed.  Great oak and WT flavors.  I agree with you, I'm at the point were anything below the 100 proof range (especially if it is expensive) is a hard sell for me these days.  A big reason where I won't go for Blantons when I it shows up!  To me, it is over priced for what you get.  Dean

• I like it 4

On 3/18/2023 at 10:27 AM, Clueby said:

Fresh crack this morning to go with the corned beef hash from leftovers.

20230318_102044.jpg

20230318_102222.jpg

Discovered Bourbon Cream on our bike trip thru the Bourbon Trail ride.  WOW, what an instant hit!  Really love the Buffalo Trace version but Ezra Brooks is also very good.  Perfect with coffee, you will never go back to Baileys!  Dean

• I like it 2

53 minutes ago, Dean E said:

Just got to be careful with this one, the proof sneaks up quickly on this one.

I second that.

Just opened up my first bottle of Russel’s Reserve. I’m new to the bourbon scene, but I can compare it to Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare. It has more of a searing effect to the nose upon first smell, but tastes alright. Not as smooth as ER, but on par with BT

Odd information, RR pairs really well with cold McDonald’s chicken nuggets. 

• I like it 1

Had an amazing day, so pulled from the good stuff stash. I opened the RR13 in the photo, and even the fresh crack pour is as wonderful as I remember it being. I had a few pours at a bar over a couple days a year or so ago, and was finally able to overpay for a few. Funny not funny.

IMG_9619.jpg.b014e43f894a87b481df7c06a530b93e.jpg

Edited by steven s
  • I like it 10

8 hours ago, ThumbsMcGee said:

Russel’s Reserve

The 10y or the SiB?  Sounds like the 10y.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Dean E said:

Discovered Bourbon Cream on our bike trip thru the Bourbon Trail ride.  WOW, what an instant hit!  Really love the Buffalo Trace version but Ezra Brooks is also very good.  Perfect with coffee, you will never go back to Baileys!  Dean

It's really easy to make your own, too -- I whip up half a dozen batches at the holidays each year. I just use an Irish whiskey cream recipe with bourbon instead of Irish whiskey. Sweetened condensed milk, half&half, bit of chocolate syrup, some almond and vanilla extract, pinch of instant coffee...blend it, bottle it, fridge it, shake it up, enjoy it!

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, stevegoz said:

It's really easy to make your own, too -- I whip up half a dozen batches at the holidays each year. I just use an Irish whiskey cream recipe with bourbon instead of Irish whiskey. Sweetened condensed milk, half&half, bit of chocolate syrup, some almond and vanilla extract, pinch of instant coffee...blend it, bottle it, fridge it, shake it up, enjoy it!

Agreed and I do something similar, but without the coffee or chocolate syrup.    I use honey & heavy whipping cream, (instead of half & half).   I whip up a few batches too...everyone loves it.

• I like it 2

On 3/18/2023 at 4:04 PM, ebo said:

The last bottle I bought was definitely different. Not off-putting, but less cinnamon & non beckoning. It was different enough for me to step back and give it airtime to see if it was me. I liked it but not enough to grab it thinking I need an OGD profile today...

• I like it 2

This came home today and got opened right away (even though there are probably 4 or 5 in the bunker). I always get a slight chocolate note with this pour so enjoyed a bit with some Gelato desert that also had some Whip Shots vodka infused topping. 

20230322_200948.jpg

20230322_201116.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 4

On 3/18/2023 at 5:04 PM, ebo said:

The last two bottles I have had, both purchased within the last 6 months, were underwhelming.  They seemed out of balance with the spicy rye profile muted.  I assumed it was me but maybe not.

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

The last two bottles I have had, both purchased within the last 6 months, were underwhelming.  They seemed out of balance with the spicy rye profile muted.  I assumed it was me but maybe not.

Thank you! I thought I was nuts...lol. I've been in the bourbon/scotch game for a long time. I know when something has changed.... at least I think I do. It's nice to know what you're experiencing is noticed by more than just you. It's too bad, as I have always had OGD BiB as a go to pour. I hope it's just a temporary thing.

Edited by ebo
  • I like it 1

4 minutes ago, ebo said:

Thank you! I thought I was nuts...lol. I've been in the bourbon/scotch game for a long time. I know when something has changed.... at least I think I do. It's nice to know what you're experiencing is noticed by more than just you. It's too bad, as I have always had OGD BiB as a go to pour. I hope it's just a temporary thing.

Yeah, I hope is temporary too.  I can still find it for $20.  It has always been a great pour to recalibrate the palate. I will give it a go again sometime since it has earned another opportunity. 

• I like it 2