What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

Score & pour! 

Saw this on the shelf for $65 so thought wtf and decided to try a new release, even though I have a bunker-full of various ECBP bottles.

Tasting impressions:  this is a wonderful, balanced bourbon.  It has so much going on, I could sip this one forever.  I'm very happy to report this is still probably the best value in the "top-shelf" whiskey world, when you consider all factors including price and availability.

I also had a pour tonight of an older ECBP batch (136.0 from 2016) and it's striking how different these are ... and its not the difference in proof. Not to detract from this new C922 but they are very different animals and it's very noticeable. The C922 is probably the more balanced whiskey and checks more boxes of different flavor notes.  BUT the 136.0 batch 12 is so much more rich and intense on the palate, it's simply not a fair fight. YMMV...

20230218_001600.jpg

Edited by Kepler
formatting
  • I like it 14

Spent the afternoon outside with my boys on a nice February day. Decided to crack his one open while watching them learn to putt golf balls around the yard.

20230218_171157.jpg

• I like it 7

We opened this one tonight. 

The first impression is it sips hot, lots of ethanol up front.  A bit oily in the mouth with a nice fruity finish. 

I may try a pour over ice with this one.

20230224_180445.jpg

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 4

Initial impressions pretty good. Lots of depth.  Had a little astringency to it. Put a drop of water in it and balanced everything out. 

7973F25F-B40F-439E-8A6B-45FB36F897D9.jpeg

• I like it 5

10 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Well this is pretty darn good.

2D222D09-3C15-4484-8874-187F28912782.jpeg

You open that with the knife? Safety first! 

• I like it 1

I don’t know how to describe this One. Great nose.  I love its vibrancy. It’s a mouthful even past the finish. It’s almost like up front it’s bourbon and the backend it’s scotch. It’s both delicate and too much. Glad to have it open! 

426218D1-2453-429D-B9B8-FFA2BA7B63E5.jpeg

• I like it 6

36 minutes ago, MM818 said:

You open that with the knife? Safety first! 

yeah.  My OCD is pretty advanced.

I like the labels/wax around the cork to look nice 

• I like it 2

Finally cracked my Calumet 16.  I see what all the fuss is about. 

• I like it 7

1 minute ago, IamMatt said:

Finally cracked my Calumet 16.  I see what all the fuss is about. 

The fuss is real. 

• I like it 5

And the nose is wonderful.  I could almost be happy just smelling it.

• I like it 4

Finished a store pick so I cracked open a C922.  When one door closes, another one opens, right?

ecbp new.jpg

• I like it 7

Special thanks to Obree for helping me find this one. We'll eventually get to posting.

Michter Rye.jpg

• I like it 6

4 o'clock starts early on Friday.  And it being "the weekend", the 2 oz limit has been suspended until Monday.  Straight to the tumbler we go.

ECBP DD.jpg

• I like it 6

Welp.  Being a fan of moderation, opened another one. Because it's almost a full proof point lower.  Mmmmm.

ECBP JO.jpg

• I like it 6

On 3/9/2023 at 9:42 PM, Anwalt said:

Special thanks to Obree for helping me find this one. We'll eventually get to posting.

Michter Rye.jpg

My pleasure!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

Welp.  Being a fan of moderation, opened another one. Because it's almost a full proof point lower.  Mmmmm.

ECBP JO.jpg

Very nice, need to try it!

• I like it 1

On 3/9/2023 at 2:42 PM, Anwalt said:

Michter Rye.jpg

I would like to know your impressions. I very nearly picked one of these up tonight on the way home from work. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Thomm said:

I would like to know your impressions. I very nearly picked one of these up tonight on the way home from work. 

Pretty sure he liked it, he finished with one after a few different ECBP's yesterday:D

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Thomm said:

I liked it a lot.  I drink far less rye than bourbon.  It had flavor to match its dark color.  Spice, proof, but not overwhelming.  Very rye-rye, it did not strike me as one of those 51% ryes (I like those too, when the mood strikes me).  

And yeah, I did finish the ECBP (which I love) spree with that rye.  Mmmmm.

• I like it 2

No pic (to lazy to get up and take one), but opened my first bottle of New Riff SB.  So far this first pour is really impressing me.  It's not particularly complex, but has some really nice integrated flavors with not much burn at barrel proof for It's age.  I've recently started exploring some of the micro distilleries (not sure if NR is in that category), and am finding some really good stuff.  Way different than several years ago when most of the micro distilleries were just not good.

• I like it 4

two recent purchases and opens. A bottle of Benchmark to compare against AA for a low proof warm weather drinker and a Peerless bourbon. Never tried peerless before so the 200ml was a nice way to buy less in case I didn't care for it, but I am really liking it so far.

20230310_144406.jpg

• I like it 3

19 minutes ago, Double C's said:

I am really liking it so far

I found it flavorful but also had that harsh young taste.  YMMV.

Got some double-oaked store picks coming from someone who rarely steers me wrong.  Well, never steers me wrong, really.  Our palates just differ on a few items.  Will report.

I've been looking for this since Christmas.  I wanted to give some bottles for gifts and couldn't find it anywhere in California.  Kept looking when I got back east and haven't had any luck.  Finally found one today and couldn't resist opening it right up.  This takes me back to some Kentucky Spirit that I picked up over 10 years ago in New Jersey.   Since then I've purchased it a handful of times, some store picks, and found it just fine.  But this is sooo good.  I poured a little 101 to compare since I've heard a lot about how Kentucky Spirit is just single barrel 101.  No comparison.  Even the color is deeper.  The nose is dustier, and the finish is richer and longer.  Perfectly balanced, pepper and sugar.  I know a lot of folks prefer Russell's or Rare Breed but this is right in my sweet spot.  I even like this label better than the previous version.

IMG_0746.thumb.jpg.95951d40e9ba8ca3437b523bf2f2cf2a.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 6