What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

On 1/3/2023 at 4:36 PM, Anwalt said:

Two of these came in the mail from a Houston friend.

I was initially hesitant to get one.  2y, newer distillery, Total Wine Spirits Direct promoted, etc.

But.  Nancy.  And some excellent private recommendations & public reviews.  

So.  Here we are.

Still Austin.jpg

I know it's young but I really enjoy this . 

• I like it 1

I finally opened a Larceny C 922.  I have enough in the bunker to open one....lol

It is everything you guys have been talking about.  Carmel bomb for sure, a bit hot at first, nothing a couple drops of water didn't cool off.  I will need a couple more pours to really appreciate the differnt notes.  

• I like it 4

Come, gather round y'all and laugh at the dumpy export Bookers bottle. 

Side note, not enjoying this. Rather thin in comparison to some older Beam stuff I have open (older Baker's, older Knob Creek 9). Ho hum.

20230121_231106.jpg

• I like it 7

Just popped the top on RR SP K warehouse. I remember the pick a couple of years back when we were awash in B and we tried to turn our noses up on this one but couldn't. WOW very nice.  With the expected caramel on top of vanilla and butterscotch but added nutmeg and fig which I would normally associate with OF house. Finish with a citrus pop and burnt brown sugar. YUM!!! 

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, beasled said:

Come, gather round y'all and laugh at the dumpy export Bookers bottle. 

Side note, not enjoying this. Rather thin in comparison to some older Beam stuff I have open (older Baker's, older Knob Creek 9). Ho hum.

I stopped buying Booker's three or four years ago when the price passed $60 and the quality went down.  Sad.  Used to be one of my favorites.  Glad I have a few from 2013 to 2017 in the bunker.  What amazes me, though, is that it sells out instantly around here at $100.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

I stopped buying Booker's three or four years ago when the price passed $60 and the quality went down.  Sad.  Used to be one of my favorites.  Glad I have a few from 2013 to 2017 in the bunker.  What amazes me, though, is that it sells out instantly around here at $100.

I remember our discussions about this when the price hikes were first announced and the number of us who were saying that Beam would alienate their customers and that hopefully they'd realize their error when none of us bought it and then coming to the realization that it wouldn't matter because of all of the new blood that would continue to pour into the hobby who would not know any better and would buy it simply because it would be considered a "premium" product. That has certainly come true.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I remember our discussions about this when the price hikes were first announced and the number of us who were saying that Beam would alienate their customers and that hopefully they'd realize their error when none of us bought it and then coming to the realization that it wouldn't matter because of all of the new blood that would continue to pour into the hobby who would not know any better and would buy it simply because it would be considered a "premium" product. That has certainly come true.

From a UK context, Bookers was so readily available that up until a couple of years ago you could buy it from Amazon (we have booze sales on Amazon) for under £50, and even then it hung around a long time. The price elsewhere is now around £72-£90 and the quality seems to continue to dive, and yet still sells out pretty quickly.

• I like it 3

14 minutes ago, beasled said:

From a UK context, Bookers was so readily available that up until a couple of years ago you could buy it from Amazon (we have booze sales on Amazon) for under £50, and even then it hung around a long time. The price elsewhere is now around £72-£90 and the quality seems to continue to dive, and yet still sells out pretty quickly.

Very interesting! Thanks for that perspective.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Is this a very long sentence (good English)?  While I agree with the contents, I got lost after "Beam would alienate their customers"  But what do I know, 'cause English is my blah, blah, blah.  🤣

And SWMBO is not in a very good mood after her Buffalo Bills choked big time this afternoon.  On the plus side, it's Chinese New Year and we had all of the grandkids over for a Chinese banquet and red envelopes for prosperity and good luck.  Now about that MouTai stuff . . . .  🤢

• I like it 2

44 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Is this a very long sentence (good English)?  While I agree with the contents, I got lost after "Beam would alienate their customers"  But what do I know, 'cause English is my blah, blah, blah.  🤣

And SWMBO is not in a very good mood after her Buffalo Bills choked big time this afternoon.  On the plus side, it's Chinese New Year and we had all of the grandkids over for a Chinese banquet and red envelopes for prosperity and good luck.  Now about that MouTai stuff . . . .  🤢

Yes, I realized halfway through that I had an epic run on sentence going but I figured that everyone would get the gist. You are a smart guy! I know you got it.

• I like it 2

I opened a bunch of bottles but haven't tried them yet.  See, I'm doing (mostly) dry January but I picked up a bottle of Remus VI for a bourbon buddy and wanted to include some goodies for him when he comes to pick it up.  So I opened a bunch of new bottles I had not cracked yet and poured him samples:  Broken Barrel Cask Strength; Tin Cup 10-yr; a Sierra Bourbon store pick; Journeyman Corsets, Whips, & Whiskey; a Tumblin' Dice high-rye bourbon store pick; a Clyde Mays bourbon store pick; and Calumet 16.

• I like it 3

I recently opened a bottle of Wilderness Trail BiB wheated bourbon.  It's okay, an interesting pour.  But for the life of me I can't figure out why I should buy another bottle of this for over $50 when I can buy a MM101 that tastes better and costs much less.  Or I think I'd even prefer regular MM for half the price of the Wilderness Trail wheater.

• I like it 7

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

I recently opened a bottle of Wilderness Trail BiB wheated bourbon.  It's okay, an interesting pour.  But for the life of me I can't figure out why I should buy another bottle of this for over $50 when I can buy a MM101 that tastes better and costs much less.  Or I think I'd even prefer regular MM for half the price of the Wilderness Trail wheater.

None of the WT did much for me.  Tasted young & hot, even the 8y.

On 1/22/2023 at 2:15 PM, fosmith said:

Truth be told, I really like Beam products, yet I have had Booker's at bars & restaurants several times & never thought enough of it to purchase. That hasn't stopped me from grabbing a KC or Bakers or even grabbing a JB pour on the rocks at a limited -choice bar. Oh well ...

On 1/22/2023 at 6:32 PM, GeeTen said:

You misspelled Engrish!!! 😛

On 1/22/2023 at 7:18 PM, flahute said:

Yes, I realized halfway through that I had an epic run on sentence going but I figured that everyone would get the gist. You are a smart guy! I know you got it.

Run on sentences 'ALWAYS' sound good when you write/type them. It the proof-read that gets ya!!! 🤪

• I like it 1

Did this one last night...

BRT01.thumb.jpg.132e13d9dde53749256ca75d6b510623.jpg

Definitive hazelnut nose ...

The palate gave some caramel, bigtime hazelnut, slight butterscotch, some wood, but not necessarily oak and fleeting burnt dark chocolate at the very end...

• I like it 4

39 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

None of the WT did much for me.  Tasted young & hot, even the 8y.

I was wondering about the 8 year and I've never tried it.  Now I know.  Thanks for the heads up.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

I was wondering about the 8 year and I've never tried it.  Now I know.  Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I'd definitely do a sample of that one first given their asking price  Tried it and others at the distillery.  Granted, sample size of "one" on the 8y.

• I like it 1

Opened this bad boy yesterday. They are becoming harder to find so I will enjoy this one for a while.

IMG_3353.JPG

• I like it 11

On 1/29/2023 at 1:08 PM, elmossle said:

Opened this bad boy yesterday. They are becoming harder to find so I will enjoy this one for a while.

IMG_3353.JPG

Very nice!  I absolutely love that stuff.  This reminds me I need to open up a new batch myself soon!

• I like it 2

Woodford double oak.  Good price and availability. The first sip is fantastic and it just gets better after that. 

• I like it 3

I've had this one on the shelf for a bit, finally got around to cracking it open. So far, so good.

20230210_220300.jpg

• I like it 5