What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

After a shit start to the week yesterday, opened a Pure Kentucky XO I just recently purchased.  Hadn't had one of these in probably 7 or 8 years, but it was better than I remember it being then (different distillate, but definitely reminded me of that profile).  Just a solid, chewy, straight down the middle bourbon.  After one neat pour, made an Old Fashioned with it and fell in love for the second time :P 

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, GaryT said:

After a shit start to the week yesterday, opened a Pure Kentucky XO I just recently purchased.  Hadn't had one of these in probably 7 or 8 years, but it was better than I remember it being then (different distillate, but definitely reminded me of that profile).  Just a solid, chewy, straight down the middle bourbon.  After one neat pour, made an Old Fashioned with it and fell in love for the second time :P 

I had one on the Willett tour last August.  Really liked it.  Brought a bottle home.  I think this is a sign.  Open it. Drink it.

• I like it 2

Opened a bottle of ER for Opening Day, as I have the past couple of seasons. I recorded the Mets game, and am watching it now in peace. I'll have pours from this bottle throughout the season. If the stars align, I'll be pouring the last drop to celebrate a World Series win. One can dream.

Also, call me a purist, but I'm finding this pitch clock a real pain in the ass. 

IMG_4472.JPG

• I like it 5

On 3/28/2023 at 5:53 PM, GaryT said:

For old times sake, I pick one of these up every couple of years.  Read your post Country, and grabbed one today.  Exactly as you describe.  Solid, chewy, straight down the middle bourbon. Maybe, more of a tinge of youth than I would like, but this whiskey is good.  Willett distilled, I believe?  If so, they are on a good path.  

• I like it 4

A few friends found a few store picks (you know who you are - Thanks!).  Mmmm.

RR SiB SP F4F Wildcat.jpg

• I like it 3

On 3/31/2023 at 6:37 PM, smokinjoe said:

For old times sake, I pick one of these up every couple of years.  Read your post Country, and grabbed one today.  Exactly as you describe.  Solid, chewy, straight down the middle bourbon. Maybe, more of a tinge of youth than I would like, but this whiskey is good.  Willett distilled, I believe?  If so, they are on a good path.  

It is Willett distilled, yes. I've had a number of Willett distilled WFE's over the past 4 years and the common theme with most of them is an overpowering red hot cinnamon flavor that I don't like.

Because of that I had been avoiding the Willett distilled KBD brands.  However last year Britt Kulsveen was in town and pouring the entire KBD lineup and I was pleasantly surprised that I liked all of them. Rowan's Creek was my favorite. It seems they are able to blend out the red hot cinnamon flavor. 

• I like it 2

Opened this tonight. Not sure what prompted it. I bought it in 2013, even though it was a bit gimmicky and did not have stellar reviews. I guess I put it off long enough.

Pat

20230408_221725.jpg

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, flahute said:

It is Willett distilled, yes. I've had a number of Willett distilled WFE's over the past 4 years and the common theme with most of them is an overpowering red hot cinnamon flavor that I don't like.

Because of that I had been avoiding the Willett distilled KBD brands.  However last year Britt Kulsveen was in town and pouring the entire KBD lineup and I was pleasantly surprised that I liked all of them. Rowan's Creek was my favorite. It seems they are able to blend out the red hot cinnamon flavor. 

Those WFE are a tough purchase. I don’t mind the red hots (loved the candy growing up) but you’re paying at least $160 for a bottle you don’t know what it’s going to be. 6-9 years, high proof, it sounds right but they sit in my cabinet for months in between visits. 

I pass more than I buy. 

Not to mention the Willett cult in this town is a tough crowd. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, MM818 said:

Those WFE are a tough purchase. I don’t mind the red hots (loved the candy growing up) but you’re paying at least $160 for a bottle you don’t know what it’s going to be. 6-9 years, high proof, it sounds right but they sit in my cabinet for months in between visits. 

I pass more than I buy. 

Not to mention the Willett cult in this town is a tough crowd. 

Truth

• I like it 2

Since I gave up bourbon & cigars for Lent, I thought that Easter celebration deserves a couple of 1st time pours...

The BBC in the glass while I hunt down a cigar with the Murray Hill on standby.

1384226232_Easteropen.thumb.jpg.569d30ba377cad64adf6a39cd1a3b39f.jpg

HAPPY EASTER, All!!!

Hoping you & the Loved Ones are together in celebration...

• I like it 4

Thanks to SB'er who recommended & helped me acquire this one.  Will report.

Hardins Creek.jpg

• I like it 4

23 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Thanks to SB'er who recommended & helped me acquire this one.  Will report.

Hardins Creek.jpg

Spoiler - it's good!

• I like it 1

On 4/7/2023 at 11:55 PM, Anwalt said:

Open Sesame.

Bookers 2022-4.jpg

How is it? Compared to the Lumberjack?

30 minutes ago, Obree said:

How is it? Compared to the Lumberjack?

Will have to try them side-by-side.

Actually The Joe You Know (not on this forum) and I are looking to do all 4 2022's.

• I like it 1

I haven't had this for a while.  I bought two bottles from K&L on sale for $6.99 each.  The delivery arrived today and I couldn't resist opening it.  It used to be my go to daily drinker and I was curious if I would still like it.  Result... It's damn good!  For the price and regardless of  price.  Caramel, buttered corn and spice with a long finish.  I handed the glass to my wife and she said "that's lovely".  She has a good palate...

evan williams black.jpg

• I like it 7

11 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Will have to try them side-by-side.

Actually The Joe You Know (not on this forum) and I are looking to do all 4 2022's.

Good plan! wish I could join for that!

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

I haven't had this for a while.  I bought two bottles from K&L on sale for $6.99 each.  The delivery arrived today and I couldn't resist opening it.  It used to be my go to daily drinker and I was curious if I would still like it.  Result... It's damn good!  For the price and regardless of  price.  Caramel, buttered corn and spice with a long finish.  I handed the glass to my wife and she said "that's lovely".  She has a good palate...

evan williams black.jpg

Incredible to get that at such a price! Did inflation never hit that store?

8 hours ago, Obree said:

Incredible to get that at such a price! Did inflation never hit that store?

No, K&L has been hit by inflation just like any other store and their prices have crept up over the last few years.  That EW black is normally $13.  But, if an item is not moving and/or they have too much stock of something, they'll put a clearance price on it through their Insider Advantage program which means that you can sign up for weekly email notification of discounted items. 

Besides the discounts, what I like about K&L is they don't gouge on prices of allocated spirits.  They charge MSRP or maybe a couple of $ over and, for super rare items, they have a lottery system where you can win the chance to buy a rare bottle at normal mark up.  This year, I scored a ORVW10 for $90.  I also like that they are a family owned business with only three locations and have been in business since the mid 1970s. 

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, fosmith said:

This year, I scored a ORVW10 for $90

Wow, that is an amazing score!

On 4/10/2023 at 9:35 PM, fosmith said:

I haven't had this for a while.  I bought two bottles from K&L on sale for $6.99 each.  The delivery arrived today and I couldn't resist opening it.  It used to be my go to daily drinker and I was curious if I would still like it.  Result... It's damn good!  For the price and regardless of  price.  Caramel, buttered corn and spice with a long finish.  I handed the glass to my wife and she said "that's lovely".  She has a good palate.

So, you inspired me, fosmith. I thought I had two handles of EW black and went looking for them. I found one and found a handle that was filled with a blend I made a few years ago, but forgot. It was 4:3:2:1 parts EW BIB, 1783, EW, EWSB 2001, respectively. Actually tasting pretty good tonight. 

Pat

Edited by Patrick_OKC
typo
  • I like it 2

On 4/10/2023 at 9:35 PM, fosmith said:

evan williams black.jpg

Agree, it's sometimes astonishing how good EW black label can taste!

This isn't on the shelves around these parts.

I found this on the shelf earlier this week in Kentucky. I thought it was a bit ironic I bought a Texas whiskey, distilled in Indiana, in Kentucky.

Anyway, first impressions are good, very good. I like it a lot.

20230414_195858.jpg

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

This isn't on the shelves around these parts.

I found this on the shelf earlier this week in Kentucky. I thought it was a bit ironic I bought a Texas whiskey, distilled in Indiana, in Kentucky.

Anyway, first impressions are good, very good. I like it a lot.

20230414_195858.jpg

Nice irony.  I have their 15 year BP bourbon.  It's pretty good HH juice.  I haven't pulled the trigger on any of their other products.

I created some space on my open shelf over the last few weeks. (See the empty bottle thread.) I reckon it’s time to bring out a few to fill some of the empty spaces. 

IMG_1818.thumb.jpeg.4d12dd645170430b24ba5c53847ff46b.jpeg

• I like it 6