What bottle did you open today? - 2023

Kepler

30 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I created some space on my open shelf over the last few weeks. (See the empty bottle thread.) I reckon it’s time to bring out a few to fill some of the empty spaces. 

IMG_1818.thumb.jpeg.4d12dd645170430b24ba5c53847ff46b.jpeg

Just an Fyi, this is the “open bottle” thread.  :P

• I like it 9

30 minutes ago, 0895 said:

IMG_3199.jpeg

• I like it 2

53 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Oh well, as you wish. But this is the last time I’m gonna let you influence me Eric. Freaking cork. &$!#%  Luckily, the cork from my just finished 2020 WLW will suffice. 

IMG_1820.thumb.jpeg.1a345f38710690297ac9dc5a631fca98.jpeg

• I like it 7

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

this is the last time I’m gonna let you influence me 

doubtful…

I mean you’ve been MIA for a bit.

I gotta get my jabs in quick.

That looks delicious, btw.

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Oh well, as you wish. But this is the last time I’m gonna let you influence me Eric. Freaking cork. &$!#%  Luckily, the cork from my just finished 2020 WLW will suffice. 

Ouch on the cork. Of course, a pro is always prepared.  😁

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Ouch on the cork. Of course, a pro is always prepared.  😁

I believe it was a good year for WLW, but it was a bad year for corks. This is the second 2007 I had with a bad cork.  Not the best pic. Sorry.P1140124.thumb.jpeg.affc48cbe46feb23adfbe2247cf52dc2.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I believe it was a good year for WLW, but it was a bad year for corks. This is the second 2007 I had with a bad cork.  Not the best pic. Sorry.

I see your broken-cork WLW and raise you my broken-cork WLW Joe!  But mine is only from 2017 not 2007, and the broken cork was more my own carelessness while having a pour, not when I first opened it.  Luckily I had a cork that fits.

20230415_231139.thumb.jpg.7a837b2daef5b5a90f1b78fb5c02fa3d.jpg

• I like it 6

On 4/14/2023 at 10:31 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I created some space on my open shelf over the last few weeks. (See the empty bottle thread.) I reckon it’s time to bring out a few to fill some of the empty spaces. 

IMG_1818.thumb.jpeg.4d12dd645170430b24ba5c53847ff46b.jpeg

WOW! What a line up! Joe knocking it out of the park. 

Cheers 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I see your broken-cork WLW and raise you my broken-cork WLW Joe!  But mine is only from 2017 not 2007, and the broken cork was more my own carelessness while having a pour, not when I first opened it.  Luckily I had a cork that fits.

20230415_231139.thumb.jpg.7a837b2daef5b5a90f1b78fb5c02fa3d.jpg

Beautiful bar

Cheers. 

• I like it 2

On 4/15/2023 at 1:02 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

We should all be lucky enough to have such PROBLEMS . . . . (not!).   😂

• I like it 1

Cracking this open.  I want to compare the single barrel version to my small batch bottle that's almost all gone. 

20230421_195024.thumb.jpg.d226a4fdd7b7ee518cd97ed7606a37af.jpg

• I like it 3

22 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Cracking this open.  I want to compare the single barrel version to my small batch bottle that's almost all gone. 

6592795_homer_simpson.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

53 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

6592795_homer_simpson.jpg

This New Riff Single Barrel is great.  I bought this SiB and the Small Batch last year while vacationing in Florida.  It's not available in Texas. 

These New Riff bourbons have a unique, almost strange aftertaste on the finish, but in a good way.  Something about their oak or warehouse aging process I'm sure.  But it's quite enjoyable and a sort of addictive taste profile.  I'll buy more the next time I'm in Florida or any other state where these are sold.  I assume eventually New Riff will make its way to the Texas market.

• I like it 4

As mentioned in the purchase thread, I picked up Bingham's Bourbon Black Label yesterday, a 94 proof blend of all Texas grain-to-glass bourbons.  I tried it yesterday while listening to some Bingham tunes, appropriately enough.  The bourbon is too....Texan.  It's got that same wet dog hair, overly corn forward taste to it that F&R bourbon, Balcones Pot Still, Lockwood, Bone Bourbon, and so many other Texas bourbons have.  Still Austin is the one exception I've come across so far.  More of that in there is needed!  I guess if nothing else it's a good representation of a typical Texas bourbon if people are ever curious so it's an ok addition to the bar when people are over.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, dcbt said:

...  The bourbon is too....Texan.  It's got that same wet dog hair, overly corn forward taste to it that F&R bourbon, Balcones Pot Still, Lockwood, Bone Bourbon, and so many other Texas bourbons have.  Still Austin is the one exception I've come across so far.  More of that in there is needed!

I agree about the Still Austin bourbons (Musician & Barrel Proof).  They taste like a solid KSBW, albeit a little on the youngish side.

10 hours ago, dcbt said:

As mentioned in the purchase thread, I picked up Bingham's Bourbon Black Label yesterday, a 94 proof blend of all Texas grain-to-glass bourbons.  I tried it yesterday while listening to some Bingham tunes, appropriately enough.  The bourbon is too....Texan.  It's got that same wet dog hair, overly corn forward taste to it that F&R bourbon, Balcones Pot Still, Lockwood, Bone Bourbon, and so many other Texas bourbons have.  Still Austin is the one exception I've come across so far.  More of that in there is needed!  I guess if nothing else it's a good representation of a typical Texas bourbon if people are ever curious so it's an ok addition to the bar when people are over.

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I agree about the Still Austin bourbons (Musician & Barrel Proof).  They taste like a solid KSBW, albeit a little on the youngish side.

My future DIL picked up a bottle of Still Austin Cask Strength as a gift for me when she was in Austin.  Our schedules haven't matched up to get together.  I am looking forward to trying it.  

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

My future DIL picked up a bottle of Still Austin Cask Strength as a gift for me when she was in Austin.  Our schedules haven't matched up to get together.  I am looking forward to trying it.  

It's pretty tasty. Nothing earth shattering but a solid bourbon that checks all the right boxes.  I bet you enjoy yours when you receive it.  One of the best things about Still Austin is the retail price (important for us cheap bastards, lol 😆).  They get it.   Unlike most craft producers they seem ready to accept lower revenues in order to establish their brand.  

In fact, mbroo you just made it easy for me to decide what to pour next!  Thank you and Cheers!

20230422_191036.thumb.jpg.e57e63b484a497594a8086f51f057544.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

It's pretty tasty. Nothing earth shattering but a solid bourbon that checks all the right boxes.  I bet you enjoy yours when you receive it.  One of the best things about Still Austin is the retail price (important for us cheap bastards, lol 😆).  They get it.   Unlike most craft producers they seem ready to accept lower revenues in order to establish their brand.  

In fact, mbroo you just made it easy for me to decide what to pour nepourTjank you and Cheers!

20230422_191036.thumb.jpg.e57e63b484a497594a8086f51f057544.jpg

I just sent her a text asking if she wants to meet for lunch tomorrow.  😀

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I just sent her a text asking if she wants to meet for lunch tomorrow.  😀

Your future daughter-in-law is definitely a keeper!  Your son did good!😄

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, Kepler said:

This New Riff Single Barrel is great.  I bought this SiB and the Small Batch last year while vacationing in Florida.  It's not available in Texas. 

These New Riff bourbons have a unique, almost strange aftertaste on the finish, but in a good way.  Something about their oak or warehouse aging process I'm sure.  But it's quite enjoyable and a sort of addictive taste profile.  I'll buy more the next time I'm in Florida or any other state where these are sold.  I assume eventually New Riff will make its way to the Texas market.

I spend a lot of time trying to figure out that after taste. It’s almost mint like. Regardless, it’s awesome. 

• I like it 1

On 4/21/2023 at 10:22 PM, Kepler said:

I "discovered" New Riff, shortly after the distillery opened. A friend of ours lives across the street from the distillery,  she brought us a bottle, (to a Redskins tailgate😅), and it was love at first sip! It wasn't available in MD, for a while,  so she'd mule it for us until it was.  

I prefer the bourbon, over the rye, but enjoy them both.

20230422_234815.jpg

• I like it 3

The discourse in the @IamMattSagamore Double Oaked thread, led me to crack this one, at such a late,(early?), hour.😂😂😂

20230423_004627.jpg

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

It wasn't even on my radar to give a try until I read Nancy Fraley was working with them.  That piqued my interest, and whatever she / they are doing is working for sure.  Best Texas bourbon right now by far.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Opened this last night. My favorite batch of ECBP ever.

20230422_222813.jpg

That 136 proof batch is the only pirate bottle I've tasted.  It was excellent.  I've got a bottle of the 139.4 proof but haven't been able to bring myself to open it yet, lol. 

• I like it 2