What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

1 hour ago, JT3NSB said:

I was walking around off broadway area.   I’m not certain.   But deep in tourist downtown area.   There are several within a few blocks of broadway, none productive..

That makes sense. We rarely venture near Broadway proper. We do stop in Frugal Mcdoogle's and Main Street Liquors which are kind of what I'd consider just outside of downtown. I recommend both places. They each usually have a good number of store picks.

Edited by Davesnothere

KC12 $71.99*

KC 18  $239.00

Booker's   $129.00

ECBP  $119.00

*if I was out, I would've pulled the trigger...that's not an obscene price around here

21 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

I was walking around off broadway area.   I’m not certain.   But deep in tourist downtown area.   There are several within a few blocks of broadway, none productive..

Yeah, that is an area where there are a lot of visitors from out of town who want to shop for liquor but don't want to stray from downtown.  The locals know to hit the shady looking shop two blocks over where the guys are smoking crack on the front step. 

I passed on BT yesterday several bottles deep on the shelf for $23.99 at Meijer.  I opted for OGD114 for the same price. 😀 

• I like it 5

20 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

That makes sense. We rarely venture near Broadway proper. We do stop in Frugal Mcdoogle's and Main Street Liquors which are kind of what I'd consider just outside of downtown. I recommend both places. They each usually have a good number of store picks.

I mean Frugal McDoogles has to be for frugal people, right? We have a chain in Indy called Payless.  That's an ironic name given their pricing.

I think Cheap Bastard's Bottle Shoppe would be a hit anywhere.  

• I like it 4

I was sorely tempted to grab a store pick (my usual monger) of 1792 Full Proof.   At 125-proof - $50, certainly never a bad investment; but, I'd made myself a promise some months ago that I would forego such "impulse buys" until a sample taste could be had.   So, for now, even though I've never had a 'bad' one of these, I'll wait.   The owner is generally in-store mornings, so I'll stop soon and get a taste first.

• I like it 2

45 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I was sorely tempted to grab a store pick (my usual monger) of 1792 Full Proof.   At 125-proof - $50, certainly never a bad investment; but, I'd made myself a promise some months ago that I would forego such "impulse buys" until a sample taste could be had.   So, for now, even though I've never had a 'bad' one of these, I'll wait.   The owner is generally in-store mornings, so I'll stop soon and get a taste first.

I don't blame you for wanting to try first. 

I've never had any version of 1792, standard, Full Proof and FP picks that don't drink hot.   I hope that you get a sample and like it, because that's a good price for it.  

10 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I've never had any version of 1792, standard, Full Proof and FP picks that don't drink hot.   I hope that you get a sample and like it, because that's a good price for it.  

Hmmm.   I've been lucky I guess, regarding 1792 and the Full Proof version.   I've never had a 'shelf version' of Full Proof (only ever bought 3) that I thought was excessively hot.   I did (luckily) taste one private pick that I found pretty hot, and not special enough to make me pull the trigger among the 5-or-6-picks that I've tried.   Several of those picks were good enough to see me buying multiples, and one I probably should have; but, they were all gone when I returned.   Regular 1792, going all the way back to the Ridgemont Reserve days has been somewhat variable; but, I never had a bottle that I found 'excessively' hot, though a few seemed a little hot for the proof.   I have tasted a few picks of 1792 owned by friends that I found stellar!   Unfortunately all those were sold before I had a chance to buy a bottle.

• I like it 1

108.99 Stagg 👎🏼 overpriced Nelson Bros and Whatever that Kentucky owl is….

IMG_0315.jpeg

Edited by JT3NSB
  • I like it 3

15 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

IMG_0315.jpeg

Im having to ask myself if id be as principled as you on that stagg. You are an oak.

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Latest edition of the L&K 1792 FP (125pf & $50 OTD) is really smooth & delicious.  Tasted blind, almost everyone says "86 proof"!  Got my case in The Bunker already and I don't buy any 1792s . . . . .  (JMHO, of course).   😋 

• I like it 4

14 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Hmmm.   I've been lucky I guess, regarding 1792 and the Full Proof version.   I've never had a 'shelf version' of Full Proof (only ever bought 3) that I thought was excessively hot.   I did (luckily) taste one private pick that I found pretty hot, and not special enough to make me pull the trigger among the 5-or-6-picks that I've tried.   Several of those picks were good enough to see me buying multiples, and one I probably should have; but, they were all gone when I returned.   Regular 1792, going all the way back to the Ridgemont Reserve days has been somewhat variable; but, I never had a bottle that I found 'excessively' hot, though a few seemed a little hot for the proof.   I have tasted a few picks of 1792 owned by friends that I found stellar!   Unfortunately all those were sold before I had a chance to buy a bottle.

You have been lucky😉

I haven't given up completely on the 1792....I would like to try the  wheated and BiB versions.   I've had a FP pick that I thought was good, but not great, and it kinda/sorta opened up with a splash.  I almost feel the same way about most ECBP too.  I have a few bottles of different releases, and it drinks hot to me, but seems to open up better than the Barton.    

It all works, because our youngest son gets the bottles that I don't care for, so I'm sure that he's rooting for us not to like it🤣

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Latest edition of the L&K 1792 FP (125pf & $50 OTD) is really smooth & delicious.  Tasted blind, almost everyone says "86 proof"!  Got my case in The Bunker already and I don't buy any 1792s . . . . .  (JMHO, of course).   😋 

If I found one like that, it might change my mind.  The one pick that I had was "bananas foster" in a bottle, and wasn't too bad.

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Can't wait to taste it on your next trip to the Lou or my next trip to Beantown! :)  I agree that almost all I've ever had have been hot.  Differing flavors, but still hot.  Had a pair of picks from a store once where one was a "dry" heat and one was a "wet" heat.  I have on FP pick in my bunker but I can't bring myself to open it.  It has a sticker of Santa on it and is from Santa Claus, Indiana.  Maybe I'll open it on Christmas some year.

Larceny Barrel Proof C922   $79.00*

Mckenna 10 year  $99.99

Booker's   $119.99

ECBP  $99.99

*I picked it up, and put it down.   I picked it up again, and put it down, again😏   I have an almost full bottle at home which should last a long time.   I did buy a bottle of the standard Larceny to blend with the BP.   

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You have been lucky😉

I haven't given up completely on the 1792....I would like to try the  wheated and BiB versions.   I've had a FP pick that I thought was good, but not great, and it kinda/sorta opened up with a splash.  I almost feel the same way about most ECBP too.  I have a few bottles of different releases, and it drinks hot to me, but seems to open up better than the Barton.    

It all works, because our youngest son gets the bottles that I don't care for, so I'm sure that he's rooting for us not to like it🤣

The BIB is (or at least was when I've tasted it a few ago, when it first came out) is excellent Bourbon... to my taste buddies, at least.    It's rich and well-balanced, with a 'thicker' mouthfeel than most 100-proofers that aren't advertised as non-chill-filtered.

I'll relate a little story about the first taste I had.   A worker from Barton came over to 'The Gazebo' where we had a pretty typical spread started on the table, consisting of the usual suspects: private pix of this & that, Pappy, various dusties, some BTAC, some Willett . . . you get the idea.   That bottle was passed around I'm not sure it ever went back on the table before it was drained.   I found the price off-putting at the time.   (I can't recall what the 'ask' was; but, I think it was over $50.)   I kinda assumed (hoped?) it would moderate in price when and if it expanded in distribution.   I think neither ever happened, though.    I'm told it's been available in The Mitten State, where I reside; but, I've never seen one on a shelf here.    I did get a bottle as a gift, but have long since killed it off.

• I like it 1

EC Toasted. $45 + 11.5% tax in PR, just dropped here. Lots of it. 

Happy to get some for those who like it. It's the only EC I don't like. Way too bitter for my liking.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

The BIB is (or at least was when I've tasted it a few ago, when it first came out) is excellent Bourbon... to my taste buddies, at least.    It's rich and well-balanced, with a 'thicker' mouthfeel than most 100-proofers that aren't advertised as non-chill-filtered.

I'll relate a little story about the first taste I had.   A worker from Barton came over to 'The Gazebo' where we had a pretty typical spread started on the table, consisting of the usual suspects: private pix of this & that, Pappy, various dusties, some BTAC, some Willett . . . you get the idea.   That bottle was passed around I'm not sure it ever went back on the table before it was drained.   I found the price off-putting at the time.   (I can't recall what the 'ask' was; but, I think it was over $50.)   I kinda assumed (hoped?) it would moderate in price when and if it expanded in distribution.   I think neither ever happened, though.    I'm told it's been available in The Mitten State, where I reside; but, I've never seen one on a shelf here.    I did get a bottle as a gift, but have long since killed it off.

Cool story...thanks for sharing.

A few years ago, we stopped by Barton in between touring distilleries. We didn't have time to tour, but we stopped in to look for "distillery-only" bottles and SWAG.  The staff there were really nice. They gave us samples and glasses, just for stopping in and they were a hoot! That is a big reason that I have a soft spot for their products...so I really want to like it.

Sorta funny...Thursday night I met some friends at our local tap room. One of them brought his friend who works in sales for Jim Beam. I asked him if he could get me a KC18 and he was all "I actually have four of them in my car, but they're all gifts for store managers so I can't."

Yesterday I stopped in at a Binny's and saw six bottles sitting there on the counter. But since I've only taken a couple of pours from the bottle I have and it's sort of a crazy expensive time of year, I passed on it. 

KC182.jpg

• I like it 1

Saw a store pick of 1792 Single Barrel today. Dint think I'd seen one of those before. Same store had a "bourbon museum" behind the count. Stagg (jr) for $400, Birthday Bourbon $1k, Weller SiB $900, etc... 

On 12/6/2023 at 9:35 PM, JT3NSB said:

IMG_0315.jpeg

Stagg is a lottery only bottle here. At that   price I would have asked if they had any more in the back.

7 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

Stagg is a lottery only bottle here. At that   price I would have asked if they had any more in the back.

You or @FasterHorses must have rolled thru Jackson Wyoming that next day!   It was gone quickly.   I don’t care for it, but last time in purchased in NC it was 59.99 at state retail.  

2 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

You or @FasterHorses must have rolled thru Jackson Wyoming that next day!   It was gone quickly.   I don’t care for it, but last time in purchased in NC it was 59.99 at state retail.  

Gone are the days I could walk into my honey hole store and see 4 or 5 on the shelf at ~$50. I just saw one in a store on the shelf Saturday...for $399.99!

@Clueby - The ONLY thing good about bourbon buying living in our state controlled liqour state is they must sell at retail pricing.  That is IF you can figure out how to get something allocated.  It's a silly game here, but retail on Stagg in NC is still 54.95!

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

@Clueby - The ONLY thing good about bourbon buying living in our state controlled liqour state is they must sell at retail pricing.  That is IF you can figure out how to get something allocated.  It's a silly game here, but retail on Stagg in NC is still 54.95!

Thats a fair price ($54.95). I think i paid $48 in 2017 so not much inflation on that bottle. Does NC do a lottery like Alabama?