What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

2 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Sadly $100 is the new MSRP for Four Roses barrel strength picks.

Can anyone actually confirm this from Four Roses/Kirin?  Or is it just retailers' common practice? 

I'd like to hear it from the manufacturer before we all just accept it as a standard.  Typically manufacturers don't charge a 100% up charge for private picks of their single barrel offerings. 

Yes I realize barrel proof is not the same as 100 proof, but the gap between 4R standard single barrel 100 proof at $45ish and single barrel picks at "$99" is not typical for the major distilleries, who usually don't play such games with pricing...

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

I just checked results for a silent auction.  One donation was a basket containing: Weller SR, Saz Rye, regular BT, and regular Blanton's.  My guess MSRP was around $130 - $150.  Want to guess what it went for, drumroll, $770.  😯  Hey, it was for charity.

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

Can anyone actually confirm this from Four Roses/Kirin?  Or is it just retailers' common practice? 

I'd like to hear it from the manufacturer before we all just accept it as a standard.  Typically manufacturers don't charge a 100% up charge for private picks of their single barrel offerings. 

Yes I realize barrel proof is not the same as 100 proof, but the gap between 4R standard single barrel 100 proof at $45ish and single barrel picks at "$99" is not typical for the major distilleries, who usually don't play such games with pricing...

$99 is the price i paid at the distillery for the SBBP this year. 

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

Personally, I believe it is market driven.  I have seen it advertised in my market for $119.99 when available.  It sells out quick.  

Ohio state pricing is usually a pretty good proxy for MSRP.

https://www.ohlq.com/liquor/whiskey/american/bourbon/four-roses-barrel-strength?sku=3070b

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Personally, I believe it is market driven.  I have seen it advertised in my market for $119.99 when available.  It sells out quick.  

Ohio state pricing is usually a pretty good proxy for MSRP.

https://www.ohlq.com/liquor/whiskey/american/bourbon/four-roses-barrel-strength?sku=3070b

Similarly, I use Virginia ABC pricing for MSRP and they have 4R picks at $99.99.

• I like it 2

On 9/24/2023 at 12:05 AM, Kepler said:

Last April the GS SBBP were 104 out the door, I passed. WT had just released a GS RR the morning I visited that Eddie picked for Derby week and it was 73.00, a bit better than 4R but I passed on that too.

• I like it 2

I stopped in again tonight to check on that FRSBBP for $99. It's OBSK, 115 proof.  Talked to the proprietor (looking to angle for a taste, maybe?) and she said they tried ten barrels, then decided on this one, which she described as "a fun one."

Then I bought some tonic water, because I didn't want to look like a complete dork.

If there's any left Friday, I will be likely to have reversed my position.  Or there's always more tonic water.

• I like it 2

14 minutes ago, Thomm said:

I stopped in again tonight to check on that FRSBBP for $99. It's OBSK, 115 proof.  Talked to the proprietor (looking to angle for a taste, maybe?) and she said they tried ten barrels, then decided on this one, which she described as "a fun one."

Then I bought some tonic water, because I didn't want to look like a complete dork.

If there's any left Friday, I will be likely to have reversed my position.  Or there's always more tonic water.

Or another bourbon. I am the Cheapest Bastard I know but I am a sucker for OBSK and OESK.  Did she have a sacrificial bottle for sampling or no go?  I don't want be an enabler but consider the price per pour.  Say you get, eight 3-oz pours. At $20 apiece, you are getting $160 worth of whiskey at $100.  Just sayin.'

• I like it 4

22 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Or another bourbon. I am the Cheapest Bastard I know but I am a sucker for OBSK and OESK.  Did she have a sacrificial bottle for sampling or no go?  I don't want be an enabler but consider the price per pour.  Say you get, eight 3-oz pours. At $20 apiece, you are getting $160 worth of whiskey at $100.  Just sayin.'

😂

😂😂

😂😂😂

It's so easy to pass on everything when you can pocket WT101, EC , and something from the BT house at leisure.  What's all the fuss about?

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, FacePlant said:

It's so easy to pass on everything when you can pocket WT101, EC , and something from the BT house at leisure.  What's all the fuss about?

As well as the various 4R expressions, New Riff, WTr, OGD.... so much to choose from that tastes GREAT and doesn't require anything more than pulling a readily available bottle off the shelf, just like its supposed to be!!

Edited by kcgumbohead

I saw WT KY Spirit in what I consider a pretty decent store.  Price on it was $63 plus tax.  😮  Is that the new normal.  I can find WTRB for like $40 something.

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

I saw WT KY Spirit in what I consider a pretty decent store.  Price on it was $63 plus tax.  😮  Is that the new normal.  I can find WTRB for like $40 something.

If my experience is any indication, it's a regional thing. In my neck of the woods, WTKS and WTRB go for the same average $45.  

I passed on a Bernheim Barrel proof on the shelf today for $81. I think that's about what they go for around here, but I've never tried it and didn't want to drop close to a C note with tax to find out I don't like it.

• I like it 1

I saw a new one today - Tradewater Bourbon (proudly sourced from Barton, 90 proof, no age statement I could see).  😴

I think I'll hold out for genuine VOB 100 instead.

My two brothers and I had a tradition where we would pick out the less-than-desirable Halloween treats and use them as ammunition in a backyard candy fight.  Candy corn was one such item, reviled by the three of us mutually.  We called it, quite uncreatively, throwing candy.

Tonight I received this photo from the oldest with the caption, "Should I throw this?"

My reply, "Yes, into the nearest garbage can."

Screenshot_20231008-185317.jpg

• I like it 2

On 10/8/2023 at 8:18 PM, Thomm said:

My two brothers and I had a tradition where we would pick out the less-than-desirable Halloween treats and use them as ammunition in a backyard candy fight.  Candy corn was one such item, reviled by the three of us mutually.  We called it, quite uncreatively, throwing candy.

Tonight I received this photo from the oldest with the caption, "Should I throw this?"

My reply, "Yes, into the nearest garbage can."

Screenshot_20231008-185317.jpg

For me, even the thought of drinking this is repulsive.  Your idea of throwing it in the trash is spot on.  I'd be afraid of pouring it down the sink, it would probably puke it back up at you.

On 10/2/2023 at 9:09 PM, Thomm said:

If my experience is any indication, it's a regional thing. In my neck of the woods, WTKS and WTRB go for the same average $45.  

Regional differences are so weird. I just got back from southern California.  Almost every store I went in had multiples of ECBP, ECTB, and Larceny BP all at what seemed to be MSRP. Those alone would have lines of people outside the store back home. There were cases upon cases of Baby Saz and regular BT.  Saw quite a few other things at prices or availability I can't get at home.  A Maker's BEP marked down, a Woodford Batch proof at MSRP, several Sinatra bottles, a $39 Pikesville, a $40 HMcKBIB (bought and drank), even an OFC on the shelf for $2500. The WT KS bottles were going for around $70 ish while RB was $50 ish.20231004_203754.thumb.jpg.ec8662427a3490acbec4a26da4f21ce0.jpg

• I like it 6

19 hours ago, Clueby said:

Regional differences are so weird. I just got back from southern California.  Almost every store I went in had multiples of ECBP, ECTB, and Larceny BP all at what seemed to be MSRP. Those alone would have lines of people outside the store back home. There were cases upon cases of Baby Saz and regular BT.  Saw quite a few other things at prices or availability I can't get at home.  A Maker's BEP marked down, a Woodford Batch proof at MSRP, several Sinatra bottles, a $39 Pikesville, a $40 HMcKBIB (bought and drank), even an OFC on the shelf for $2500. The WT KS bottles were going for around $70 ish while RB was $50 ish.20231004_203754.thumb.jpg.ec8662427a3490acbec4a26da4f21ce0.jpg

Maybe the major distillers feel sorry for people who live in California and figure they need more good bourbon just to survive.  It reminds me of when the former USSR dissolved in the early '90s.  I had a friend who invested in cigarette manufacturers (Phillip Morris) and alcohol beverage companies.  He figured that the former soviet residents would need lots of cigs and booze to make it through the transition.  He wasn't wrong.

• I like it 1

Passed on Eagle Rare for $50 (tempting), and MM 101 for $38, which is starting to show up again in my area after a summer drought, and which I will most likely pick up a few at some point if I can find it for a few buck cheaper.

• I like it 1