What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

ECBP has been allocated in my area for several years.  You might occaionally see one on the shelf but most retailers set them aside for lotteries.

I have ran across three private barrel ECBP picks this week.  One store keeps it behind the counter.  It is 9 years old, 131 proof.  The price seems a little high at $74.99.  But, I guess the price is a bargain when compared to a lot of the other BP picks from smaller, lesser known distilleries.  Another keeps it on a shelf by their cash register.  This store has a history of good picks but the price is $84.99.  I believe it is also 9 years old. 

Then today, I was in a Target of all places and ran into the bottle below.  It was 8 years old.  I don't recall the proof but it was in the low 120s.  It was $79.99.  It looks like they might have gotten the entire barrel at this store.  This seems odd for a store like Target.

I guess we will start seeing more private barrels at younger ages and higher prices than we did when it was 12 year old.

image000000.jpg

image000001.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

15 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I guess we will start seeing more private barrels at younger ages and higher prices than we did when it was 12 year old

Several of you have commented that the "regular" ECBP (which I love, one of the best bang-for-the-buck bottles out there) is usually better than the younger store picks. And cheaper. Seems like a no-brainer.

I do occasionally get an SP if it comes well-recommended from a trusted source or happens to be over 130 proof. The latter are hit or miss. But if I don't care for one, there are always guests who see the proof and Go At It. Otherwise, I avoid them. Too pricey compared to regulars, too likely to be not quite as good.

• I like it 3

On 1/26/2023 at 3:07 AM, GeeTen said:

1. NO

2. Maybe

3. Yes.

4. Absolutely!

JMHO, of course.  😊

You are exactly correct.

On 10/11/2023 at 1:11 AM, Clueby said:

Regional differences are so weird. I just got back from southern California.  Almost every store I went in had multiples of ECBP, ECTB, and Larceny BP all at what seemed to be MSRP. Those alone would have lines of people outside the store back home. There were cases upon cases of Baby Saz and regular BT.  Saw quite a few other things at prices or availability I can't get at home.  A Maker's BEP marked down, a Woodford Batch proof at MSRP, several Sinatra bottles, a $39 Pikesville, a $40 HMcKBIB (bought and drank), even an OFC on the shelf for $2500. The WT KS bottles were going for around $70 ish while RB was $50 ish.20231004_203754.thumb.jpg.ec8662427a3490acbec4a26da4f21ce0.jpg

Crazy, isn't it?

BTW, if I see Pikesville Rye at$39.00 a bottle, I'd come home with a case of it.😎

• I like it 3

Picked up an ECBP SP 9yr a couple weeks ago from a LS that typically has stellar picks. When I opened it, the cork pulled out with no friction whatsoever. It is freakin' terrible. I'm stunned at how bad it is. I'm letting it sit for a full month before trying again, but I'm a bit afraid that it is tainted...

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Crazy, isn't it?

BTW, if I see Pikesville Rye at$39.00 a bottle, I'd come home with a case of it.😎

Yeah Mrs. Clueby already yelled at me over that one!

• I like it 3

Finally built a rapport with a particular LS enough for him to show me today's stash of allocated bottles. It contained a Blackened BP, EC BP 523, EC 18yr, Blanton's SiB & a couple more.

The hard pass was the Blanton's for $120. I did opt for a Larceny BP for $80 which will most likely be my only shot at this one...

• I like it 1

On 10/17/2023 at 5:18 PM, bayouredd said:

Picked up an ECBP SP 9yr a couple weeks ago from a LS that typically has stellar picks. When I opened it, the cork pulled out with no friction whatsoever. It is freakin' terrible. I'm stunned at how bad it is. I'm letting it sit for a full month before trying again, but I'm a bit afraid that it is tainted...

That sucks.  If a regular store, you might chat up the manager.  Something along the lines of "Man, I was really excited when I picked up your store pick because they are really good.  But, the cork on this bottle pulled out pretty easily and the bourbon tasted pretty rank.  I drink a lot of bourbon but this stuff is pretty rough."  They offer up another bottle provided you didn't drink half the bottle or a discount on something else.  You might even take the bottle in with you.

• I like it 2

On 10/17/2023 at 5:35 PM, Clueby said:

Yeah Mrs. Clueby already yelled at me over that one!

I was able to find it for $39.99 until a few months ago.  Then it hit $42.99, now $44.99.  All at the same store. 

On 10/17/2023 at 4:18 PM, bayouredd said:

I would definitely take it back and talk to the owner. There's liable to be an open bottle that they use for samples that they can compare it to to tell it's a bad bottle. 

• I like it 2

Oh, I also passed Rebel 100 Rye.  I was intrigued until I read the back label "aged 24 months".  That's a non starter for me.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, PaulO said:

Not a Bourbon, but passed JD Bonded Rye at two stores, 700ml bottle.  😒

I have an open bottle of the JD Bonded Rye in my cabinet and I'm liking it a lot.  And, at $30, it's a decent value.  I'm not happy about the bottle size but, what are you going to do?

• I like it 2

Passed on Hancock Reserve for $99.99.  I haven't seen a bottle in Indy in over 10 years.  Passed on a lot of 1.75L bottles. from almost every major brand...WR, OF100, WT101, KC9, BH, and even a Willett super large genie bottle.  Must be one fat ass genie in there.  I even passed on one that I had never seen before a 1.75L Baby Saz for $61.99. 

• I like it 1

Passed on K&L's bundle of ECBP C923, HH 7yr and EC rye for $150.  Msrp for everything but I hate having to buy two bottles I don't want to get one bottle that I do want.  They called it the "I'll to anything to get C923" bundle.  I don't think so.  Homie don't play dat...   

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, fosmith said:

Passed on K&L's bundle of ECBP C923, HH 7yr and EC rye for $150.  Msrp for everything but I hate having to buy two bottles I don't want to get one bottle that I do want.  They called it the "I'll to anything to get C923" bundle.  I don't think so.  Homie don't play dat...   

We feel your pain.

13 hours ago, fosmith said:

The only time I think a multiple bottle bundle is acceptable is when it comes from the source that way.  For example, I see MM, Beam, and OF have different 375ml bottles boxed together.  Even then, do the math and it better not exceed MSRP.

The real b.s. is if they are trying to unload craft garbage or something else no one wants this way.  

I went with the bundle. I’ll gift the remaining bottles for Christmas. If it’s getting compared to B517 or B520

then I want to check it out. Either it’s a great bottle or the 13 year age statement is making us all tater for it. 

On 10/21/2023 at 9:43 PM, fosmith said:

Yeah....sticking thet EC rye in the bundle is just cruel....

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

On 10/14/2023 at 4:37 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I guess we will start seeing more private barrels at younger ages and higher prices than we did when it was 12 year old.

Same.  I just passed on an eight year BP private select at $85ish myself.  Distillers are taking advantage of the newbies' obsession with barrel proof offerings.  Give me the standard 94 proof Elijah Craig at $28 which is also around 8 years old.

• I like it 1

There's a good nine bottles of Weller 12 sitting on a shelf about 20 minutes from me. At $230 a bottle, it hopefully sits for a good while longer.

• I like it 4

On 10/21/2023 at 9:43 PM, fosmith said:

Ditto. Not worth it and a pain to transport 3 bottles instead of one.

My annual KL pickup is coming. I am in Vegas in early November every year. A friend lets me ship to her in CA. And when she drives to Vegas, she brings it all. 36 bottles (6 suitcases, 6 bottles each) plus more as I have willing mules. For some reason, I just refuse to pay the shipping. I'd rather wait for up to a year and pick it all up at once. Some of you people must be rubbing off a little....

I do like KL. Good prices on most bottles, and some nice store picks. I look forward to trying their $32 115 proof KC Rye SP. Seems hard to go wrong at that price!

5 hours ago, stevegoz said:

There's a good nine bottles of Weller 12 sitting on a shelf about 20 minutes from me. At $230 a bottle, it hopefully sits for a good while longer.

That's one of those good 'ol you can kiss my sassafras situations. 

• I like it 5

I had a WT Generations in the cart in the WT Lottery today .  But with a retail price of $450 and another $50+ in shipping and taxes, I walked away.  Campari is crazy!

• I like it 5