What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

12 hours ago, markandrex said:

I had a WT Generations in the cart in the WT Lottery today .  But with a retail price of $450 and another $50+ in shipping and taxes, I walked away.  Campari is crazy!

Hey, I really like WT, but for $500, could buy so many, many multiples of RB and or KS (if you want premium version WT).

Heck, for $500 I could take a road trip to KY.  Who knows what I'd find, more than one bottle to be sure.

• I like it 2

On 11/2/2023 at 7:43 AM, PaulO said:

Hey, I really like WT, but for $500, could buy so many, many multiples of RB and or KS (if you want premium version WT).

Heck, for $500 I could take a road trip to KY.  Who knows what I'd find, more than one bottle to be sure.

Not to mention so many bottles of different RR single barrels, standard or store picks!

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

Not to mention so many bottles of different RR single barrels, standard or store picks!

Been there, done that!

We stopped at the grocery store for a couple of things this afternoon. I looked, but I didn’t buy. I had to show a pic of a couple of things though. FWIW,  I purchased a bottle of the Schnuck’s BIB a few years ago. It was distilled at HH, and bottled by Luxco and had a different label. IIRC, it became a drain pour. 😬 The current version Is MGP distillate.

IMG_2989.thumb.jpeg.4501c345bb5c2183eb16abc277dd1483.jpegIMG_2990.thumb.jpeg.6d6f827ccdae9d688468d5d3e8641e45.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We stopped at the grocery store for a couple of things this afternoon. I looked, but I didn’t buy. I had to show a pic of a couple of things though. FWIW,  I purchased a bottle of the Schnuck’s BIB a few years ago. It was distilled at HH, and bottled by Luxco and had a different label. IIRC, it became a drain pour. 😬 The current version Is MGP distillate.

IMG_2989.thumb.jpeg.4501c345bb5c2183eb16abc277dd1483.jpegIMG_2990.thumb.jpeg.6d6f827ccdae9d688468d5d3e8641e45.jpeg

Is the Beam similar to Old Tub?

5 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I honestly can’t remember the Repeal Batch that I had long ago RICK. I do seem to remember that the Old Tub I bought at the distillery years ago definitely had the Beam “nutty” flavor. A bit more oomph, but also tasted a little young. 

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I honestly can’t remember the Repeal Batch that I had long ago RICK. I do seem to remember that the Old Tub I bought at the distillery years ago definitely had the Beam “nutty” flavor. A bit more oomph, but also tasted a little young. 

Who the Hell is Rick?😄

Your observation of the Old Tub mirrors my own.

I bought one those 375ml bottles years ago,(at the distillery), mainly for the novelty.  I do recall it having that distinctive Beam nutty flavor too and kinda/ sorta liked it.

I bought a few bottles a couple years ago in PA, when the state stores had 'em on sale for $16.95.

My cheap-ass  wanted to like it, (especially at that price) but I don't. I ended keeping some to share with my hunting buddies, (they really like it😏), and I gave the rest to our son...

• I like it 2

41 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Who the Hell is Rick?😄

🤦‍♂️

@Vosgar and I used to kid each other about CRS. We’d rotate the presidency of the club depending on who was the last one to forget something. My nephew kids me by calling me Ken when I slip up. It’s in regards to the meme he sent me long ago. I think I may have posted it here before, but I can’t remember. 🤣

123_1.thumb.jpeg.0c8160755c94cad2da3a0e31dfb84393.jpeg

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I don't know if Beam started to bottle more Repeal Batch, or if someone found old inventory.  I really liked Repeal Batch, but then again, I got it for a really cheap sale price.

MGP bottled in bond - I think I'd risk $18.99 to satisfy my curiosity.

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberation, I passed on Heaven Hill BIB for $32 at a blue warehouse club store.  If I liked it a little more, I would have bought a bunch at that price.

• I like it 2

We stopped at a small store to grab a couple of candy items for my wife to use for upcoming cookie baking. A liquor store is across the parking lot. I haven’t stopped there in ages because I know it’s a tater store. It hasn’t changed. It’s a twice baked tater store now. Not on the shelf, but supposedly in the back room, Blanton’s for $450.00 and lot B for $1,000.00. I did see some SAOS on the shelf for $49.99. I wasn’t really interested in the first place. I just wanted  to check the back of a bottle. 😁

IMG_3132.thumb.jpeg.4eafde7ea6ece1540ca77e9f8cee0620.jpegIMG_3133.thumb.jpeg.4129b5eb7fb94d27e9b19264675fb841.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We stopped at a small store to grab a couple of candy items for my wife to use for upcoming cookie baking. A liquor store is across the parking lot. I haven’t stopped there in ages because I know it’s a tater store. It hasn’t changed. It’s a twice baked tater store now. Not on the shelf, but supposedly in the back room, Blanton’s for $450.00 and lot B for $1,000.00. I did see some SAOS on the shelf for $49.99. I wasn’t really interested in the first place. I just wanted  to check the back of a bottle. 😁

IMG_3132.thumb.jpeg.4eafde7ea6ece1540ca77e9f8cee0620.jpegIMG_3133.thumb.jpeg.4129b5eb7fb94d27e9b19264675fb841.jpeg

And the price was . . . . .  ?

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

I posted the SAOS price. It was $49.99.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I posted the SAOS price. It was $49.99.

I checked by me.  The same SAOS goes for $31.99.  Even that seems much for no age statement 99 proof.

56 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I checked by me.  The same SAOS goes for $31.99.  Even that seems much for no age statement 99 proof.

Another store near me had a ps SAOS. I believe 5 yr age statement. Can’t remember the proof. CRS ya’ know. Not a Sarah bottle though. ☹️

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

8 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Another store near me had a ps SAOS. I believe 5 yr age statement. Can’t remember the proof. CRS ya’ know. Not a Sarah bottle though. ☹️

A few years ago I bought a couple of Sarah bottles from an SAOS pick that a buddy of mine did.  I have one left and believe that it's 5 years old.   

It is very good, but I gotta ask.    What's so special about bottles that Sarah has selected?    

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It is very good, but I gotta ask.    What's so special about bottles that Sarah has selected?    

Being serious for a change, I believe it went something like this Rick. Someone posted a bottle he purchased of SAOS. It was signed on the back by Sarah. Another person posted their bottle. It was signed by James. I believe there may have been a couple of others too. Then someone actually went to the Smooth Ambler website and found a picture of Sarah and posted it here. IIRC, she’s pretty nice looking. One thing led to another and it kept going on from there. Just fun stuff. 😎

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

A few years ago I bought a couple of Sarah bottles from an SAOS pick that a buddy of mine did.  I have one left and believe that it's 5 years old.   

I believe it's sort of an inside joke that caught on with the Smooth Ambler fans around here.  Back a number of years ago, Smooth Ambler had some real honey barrels from MGP in their warehouse. This was before things got crazy expensive too.  SBers would get a bottle, and the conversation would go, "it's blah years old, and blah blah proof, and bottled by Sarah!"  I think someone even posted a photo of her once.

• I like it 2

stopped into a place this morning hoping to find an ECBP C923 and saw a EHT smb sitting on the shelf for $130. That's an easy pass. 

• I like it 1

Booker's $109.00 on sale

McKenna 10  $79.99.

RRSB  $99.99

EC18 $349.00

JDSBBP rye $129.00

RR 13yr $499

• I like it 2

I passed on two that I am sure many in this forum would have jumped on.

EC Toasted Barrel $50

KC18 $148

My wife gave me the ok to buy the KC18 but I grabbed a WTR101 instead.  

• I like it 2

On 11/5/2023 at 5:33 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

On 11/5/2023 at 5:36 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

On 11/6/2023 at 9:56 AM, PaulO said:

I don't know if Beam started to bottle more Repeal Batch, or if someone found old inventory.  I really liked Repeal Batch, but then again, I got it for a really cheap sale price.

MGP bottled in bond - I think I'd risk $18.99 to satisfy my curiosity.

I bought a bottle of that Repeal Batch, back when it was first released several years ago.  I think I paid around $14 back then IIRC.  No wonder it's still on the shelf at $23.  I enjoyed the Distiller's Cut so much from the same time period, that I never got around to opening my only bottle of Repeal Batch.  I guess I should open it eventually.

3 hours ago, Kepler said:

I bought a bottle of that Repeal Batch, back when it was first released several years ago.  I think I paid around $14 back then IIRC.  No wonder it's still on the shelf at $23.  I enjoyed the Distiller's Cut so much from the same time period, that I never got around to opening my only bottle of Repeal Batch.  I guess I should open it eventually.

Repeal Batch is 4 years old 86 proof, a real easy drinker, and a big step up from the base Beam.  I'd be buying multiples at $14. 

Distiller's Cut was probably better than anything else on the shelf when it was around.  😢

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

Repeal Batch is 4 years old 86 proof, a real easy drinker, and a big step up from the base Beam.  I'd be buying multiples at $14. 

Distiller's Cut was probably better than anything else on the shelf when it was around.  😢

As I remember, I could get pretty much all the DC I wanted for anywhere from 17.99 to 21.99 at the same time, so I loaded up on that, and passed on the Repeal.  I bought one bottle of the Repeal just to have it, for curiosity's sake.  I like how things turned out.  Still have a lot of the Distiller's Cut in the bunker.

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

As I remember, I could get pretty much all the DC I wanted for anywhere from 17.99 to 21.99 at the same time, so I loaded up on that, and passed on the Repeal.  I bought one bottle of the Repeal just to have it, for curiosity's sake.  I like how things turned out.  Still have a lot of the Distiller's Cut in the bunker.

IIRC, Total Wine had Repeal Batch for ~$10 so I bought a bottle to try.  Pretty meh, IMO.  Like a watered down Old Tub.  Distiller's Cut was great and I bought a half dozen bottles.  Sadly, I have one, maybe two left.  Wish I'd bought a whole case... 

• I like it 3