What bourbon did you pass on 2023

Kepler

Several different store picks of RR SiB anywhere from $80 to $99, standard BT for $60.  HMK 10 flows freely on South Carolina, if you wanna pay $80 and up, which I don't. Also passed on WSR for $85 (that surprised me, as it was in Kentucky and not too far from BT distillery).  

Like @markandrex, I also passed on the WT Generations, very overtly in fact, by not even stopping at the distillery while in the area.  According to social media hearsay, they are having no trouble unloading these $450 tater tots without my help. Funny thing is, I'm also hearing the flippers are peeved because the hefty price tag is watering down their margins. 

Quick trip to Schnuck’s to grab a bag of ice for use on Thursday. Passed on a  EHT Small Batch. I think the price was between $45.00 and $50.00.  It was in the back. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Quick trip to Schnuck’s to grab a bag of ice for use on Thursday. Passed on a  EHT Small Batch. I think the price was between $45.00 and $50.00.  It was in the back. 

FBJ, I would have grabbed one at that price.  It is a lottery item in Indy.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Thomm said:

Several different store picks of RR SiB anywhere from $80 to $99, standard BT for $60.  HMK 10 flows freely on South Carolina, if you wanna pay $80 and up, which I don't. Also passed on WSR for $85 (that surprised me, as it was in Kentucky and not too far from BT distillery).  

Like @markandrex, I also passed on the WT Generations, very overtly in fact, by not even stopping at the distillery while in the area.  According to social media hearsay, they are having no trouble unloading these $450 tater tots without my help. Funny thing is, I'm also hearing the flippers are peeved because the hefty price tag is watering down their margins. 

F' the flippers.  Let the taters eat catsup on their tots.  HMK 10 is around $70 in Indy.  I got one for $54 and felt violated.  

• I like it 6

15 hours ago, fosmith said:

IIRC, Total Wine had Repeal Batch for ~$10 so I bought a bottle to try.  Pretty meh, IMO.  Like a watered down Old Tub.  Distiller's Cut was great and I bought a half dozen bottles.  Sadly, I have one, maybe two left.  Wish I'd bought a whole case... 

Bought a case of JB Distiller's Cut up north in the "Live Free or Die" state-controlled liquor store many moons ago (kinda').  Only have two (2) unopened bottles and one (1) about to hit the Big Blue bin.  Wish I'd bought a couple of cases...  😮‍💨

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Bought a case of JB Distiller's Cut up north in the "Live Free or Die" state-controlled liquor store many moons ago (kinda').  Only have two (2) unopened bottles and one (1) about to hit the Big Blue bin.  Wish I'd bought a couple of cases...  😮‍💨

Here in Indiana, I just saw a couple bottles at a time.  It seemed only one or two stores locally.  Then it would go missing and reappear, until it didn't.  I assumed it was going to be a part of the standard Beam lime up.

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

F' the flippers.  Let the taters eat catsup on their tots.  HMK 10 is around $70 in Indy.  I got one for $54 and felt violated.  

I felt violated when the price for it went North of $30.00.....

• I like it 4

I passed on this...I have no words...what its it?...who buys it?

This could be the cheesiest (cheapest) thing I've ever seen

And on sale for a whole 2 dollars off...."I want my two dollars!!!"

IMG_6185.jpeg

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 2

Passed on tons of overpriced whiskey today, EC BP private picks at various stores, HMcK10, Penelope 9 yr, WFP, Remus Repeal and Gatsby, Booker's, Little Book, Old Overholt 10yr cask strength, yada yada yada...

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, jvd99 said:

And on sale for a whole 2 dollars off...."I want my two dollars!!!"

SMH.  Who thinks up this stuff.  This reminds me of when K&L occasionally will put up a sale price for a bottle at, say $29.99 and the description will say normally $30. 

• I like it 3

On 11/22/2023 at 11:44 PM, Kepler said:

Passed on tons of overpriced whiskey today, EC BP private picks at various stores, HMcK10, Penelope 9 yr, WFP, Remus Repeal and Gatsby, Booker's, Little Book, Old Overholt 10yr cask strength, yada yada yada...

After  my enjoyment of the overholt 11 year, I won't be passing on the 10 cask strength when I come across one.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Mattk said:

After  my enjoyment of the overholt 11 year, I won't be passing on the 10 cask strength when I come across one.

Yep I like that one a lot too, but I just wasn't feeling this 10 yr cask strength at nearly $100.  I'm growing weary of all the hundred dollar bottles, and I already have plenty of premium rye whiskeys to keep me happy.

• I like it 3

26 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yep I like that one a lot too, but I just wasn't feeling this 10 yr cask strength at nearly $100.  I'm growing weary of all the hundred dollar bottles, and I already have plenty of premium rye whiskeys to keep me happy.

All we ever see in Indy is OO 4-Year 86 proof.  Well, maybe the well heeled $10,000 a month wine buyers see them.  But not us common folk.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

Got a call from the liquor store, they pulled my name for lottery bottles (no purchase necessary, so what the heck).  Was offered a 135th Anniversary Four Roses for 199.99, but I passed.  With my inexperienced and severely limited palate, this would be wasted on me.  If I were the flipping type, I might have gone for it.  Also was offered WTKS Voyage at MSRP (275).  Again, I just don't think I'm there yet.  There are so many things left for me to sample before I go traipsing off into secondary cask finishes, especially at that price.  Oh well, someone else will grab em up.

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Got a call from the liquor store, they pulled my name for lottery bottles (no purchase necessary, so what the heck).  Was offered a 135th Anniversary Four Roses for 199.99, but I passed.  With my inexperienced and severely limited palate, this would be wasted on me.  If I were the flipping type, I might have gone for it.  Also was offered WTKS Voyage at MSRP (275).  Again, I just don't think I'm there yet.  There are so many things left for me to sample before I go traipsing off into secondary cask finishes, especially at that price.  Oh well, someone else will grab em up.

Yeah that's tough.  It's too bad they didn't offer a less expensive alternative but still a special bottle, like a WFP, RHF, CEHT BP or something along those lines. 

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Thomm said:

No harm, no foul.  I agree with @Kepler, it would have been great if they would have offered something less expensive but still special as an alternative.

Think about it this way.  Your pass made someone else's day special.  This is bourbon karma.  You will be repaid at some point.  In the meantime, enjoy what you enjoy knowing that someday you will be repaid for passing on something someone else values that you didn't want at this point in time.  

It is not about buying up the top tier bottles, but buying what you want, enjoy and can afford.  

I was at a store today where KC18 was available for less than MSRP.  I can afford it but the price is not what a cheap bastard like me wants to pay.  My wife told me do it.  I told her no. I just don't see the value and I would prefer purchasing two to three bottles for the price of the one.  PVW 15, maybe.  But KC18 for the same price.  No thank you.  While I was shopping, another customer grabbed one and walked away with it.  I told my wife that he found something really good for him but not for me.  That is the bourbon world.

• I like it 8

8 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yeah that's tough.  It's too bad they didn't offer a less expensive alternative but still a special bottle, like a WFP, RHF, CEHT BP or something along those lines. 

I am encouraged with this particular store.  They are becoming a lot more "bourbony" lately, picking barrels and such.  And the offerings for their lottery seem to be MSRP, so the gouge factor isn't really coming into play.  Someone asked if they had any HMK 10, and the clerk said no, but they got six bottles of it a few weeks ago and sold them for 40 apiece.  Most other liquor stores around here would double that price instantly, and it would still fly off the shelf in no time.

I'm sure they will have something more my speed sooner or later.  And yes, a WFP or a RHF would definitely be in that category.

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

It is not about buying up the top tier bottles, but buying what you want, enjoy and can afford

Yes.  That is what I kept telling myself after I hung up and my mind kept telling me to call back.  This is not a contest.  I actually enjoy drinking this stuff.  In fact, I think I'm gonna go do that right now!

• I like it 4

13 minutes ago, Thomm said:

I am encouraged with this particular store.  They are becoming a lot more "bourbony" lately, picking barrels and such.  And the offerings for their lottery seem to be MSRP, so the gouge factor isn't really coming into play.  Someone asked if they had any HMK 10, and the clerk said no, but they got six bottles of it a few weeks ago and sold them for 40 apiece.  Most other liquor stores around here would double that price instantly, and it would still fly off the shelf in no time.

I'm sure they will have something more my speed sooner or later.  And yes, a WFP or a RHF would definitely be in that category.

Yep sounds like a good store to me too.  And I agree with @mbroo5880i about bourbon karma and being repaid later at some point.

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Yes.  That is what I kept telling myself after I hung up and my mind kept telling me to call back.  This is not a contest.  I actually enjoy drinking this stuff.  In fact, I think I'm gonna go do that right now!

That's the right approach.  I am no one special but when I pass on something, I never look back.  I know what I like, what I can afford, what I feel comfortable spending.  I find a lot that I like, pass on a lot that others would kill for, but in the end, it is about what you enjoy.  Enjoy what is in your glass tonight!

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

All we ever see in Indy is OO 4-Year 86 proof.  Well, maybe the well heeled $10,000 a month wine buyers see them.  But not us common folk.

I have seen the bottled in bond OO in Greenwood.  It made several appearances at one particular store.  I haven't been there lately.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, JT3NSB said:

had a few laughs walking around nashville today….

IMG_0176.jpeg

Good night nurse!! Where is that store?  I'm in Nashville often and want to avoid that one!

Edited by Davesnothere

22 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

Good night nurse!! Where is that store?  I'm in Nashville often and want to avoid that one!

I was walking around off broadway area.   I’m not certain.   But deep in tourist downtown area.   There are several within a few blocks of broadway, none productive..

Edited by JT3NSB