What Bourbon Did You Purchase Winter 2023?

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last 2023 auction win from yesterday:

2023 Unicorn Haul No. 2.jpg

Love this "Pappy Expression" better than all others - $149.99 OTD!  Missed out on 2023 GTS, WLW and THH - oh, heck.  Once again, I'd rather be lucky than good!  🤩

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 14

55 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

They still charging sales tax in Kalifornia?  Luckily, we still don't have to pay sales tax on whiskey, wine or beer here in Taxachusetts (but just on almost everything else).  Still a nice catch.  🤑

Sadly, yes.  The statewide rate is 7.25% but then each county, city and "special district" can add their own so they range from 7.25% to 10.75% depending on the city.  Most of the 7.25%  cities are very rural.  9.5-10% in my area (suburban Los Angeles County).  The better liquor stores, though, are in neighboring Orange County with 7.75% tax. 

That's peanuts compared to Seattle (right, flahute?)  They have a spirits sales tax of 20.5% and a spirits liter tax of $3.77 per liter.  That's how I paid $41.38 for a $31.99 bottle of Coopers Craft 100 while visiting my son there last summer.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Absolutely, Fred.

Let me know when and where and I'll be there.  Or I can host at my place in Orinda. 

• I like it 1

On 1/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, berto said:

Bought a Four Roses OESQ from a local shop.  The Q selections tend to be my favorites.

OESQ is my favorite of the 10.  Many tasters find it too sweet and fruity.  Is fine - more for me!!

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Love this "Pappy Expression" better than all others - $149.99 OTD!  Missed out on 2023 GTS, WLW and THH - oh, heck.  Once again, I'd rather be lucky than good!  🤩

Uh, you forgot to tell us how those Guinness chips taste.  Is that what's in the bag?:o

15 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Uh, you forgot to tell us how those Guinness chips taste.  Is that what's in the bag?:o

Waiting to share with S-I-L next weekend.  His family is from Belfast!  🤪

And how did you get your emoji to dump the little blue box, above?????

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

5 hours ago, IamMatt said:

That's peanuts compared to Seattle (right, flahute?)  They have a spirits sales tax of 20.5% and a spirits liter tax of $3.77 per liter.  

Quite correct sir! We don't have State income tax here so at least there's that.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Quite correct sir! We don't have State income tax here so at least there's that.

Live in WA (no state income tax), buy in OR (no sales tax).

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Nice!! Move that bottle, would ya?  I'm still counting children in that painting.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Live in WA (no state income tax), buy in OR (no sales tax).

Yep! I live too far away but everyone near the border takes advantage of that.

@GeeTen

I also an requesting some tasting notes on those chips.

I already tried Pappiez, but for a sample, I can tell you the emoji secret…

:D

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

On 1/29/2023 at 8:55 AM, GeeTen said:

Yeah, the Pappy is nice I guess 🤔. But, those Guinness chips! They are awesome - great with a beer or whisky. 

• I like it 1

As hard as Heaven Hill has worked the past many years to keep stokin' my hate, there are still a few labels I can't pass by if given a chance - lucky stumbles the past few weeks in North of Little Rock area, first I can recall seeing Pikesville here, have usually picked it up when passing through the Holy Lands (no pilgrimages in the past year+ though).  Really diggin' the EC Toasted Barrel, the only EC that's worth grabbing (at least for me).  Of course now I've jinxed the longevity and availability of both....

Resizer_16752348959271.jpeg

• I like it 4

I stopped by the LS near PT again.  Nothing exotic but a sales rep talked me into this.

899488FB-79D2-4BBB-9BA2-0865B82479B3.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 1/28/2023 at 8:17 PM, Kepler said:

Nice!  At that price nothing wrong with your reasoning!  I once bought a case of ECBP.  But back then cases were 3 bottles per.  I don't regret it one bit now.  And I believe you won't either one day.  Cheers 🥃

They are 6 per case now, but come in the same 12 count box as SiB Picks and SmB and only fill the middle two rows. 

I think it’s smart to use a uniform case size and theorize (hopefully) this was done with the idea future production will continue to increase and they get to 12 bottle cases on the 12yr BP

• I like it 4

A work trip to TN resulted in a Chattanooga Centenary Cask and a New Riff rye as we don't get that here and I was out. No telling when they'll get opened but at least they are here.😂

• I like it 3

This is my first foray into Yellowstone. I've read good things about it, on the site. Plan is to crack it to tonight.

The Pikesville was the last one on the shelf,  (and I wanted a spare), so I couldn't pass it up😉

Last year, I vowed that I would cull my bunker. 

I've done a horrific job of it😂20230203_125751.thumb.jpg.83ca68dabaa87cfb8890421215960e85.jpg

• I like it 6

OGD Bonded and 114 have become so hard to find in my areas, that I was ecstatic to grab a Bonded today when I came across one.  

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

This is my first foray into Yellowstone. I've read good things about it, on the site. Plan is to crack it to tonight.

The Pikesville was the last one on the shelf,  (and I wanted a spare), so I couldn't pass it up😉

I've done a horrific job of it😂20230203_125751.thumb.jpg.83ca68dabaa87cfb8890421215960e85.jpg

Just killed a bottle I got from my boss, almost drank more like a scotch, very grain forward but nice on the rocks IMO.

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Just killed a bottle I got from my boss, almost drank more like a scotch, very grain forward but nice on the rocks IMO.

Interesting.

The guy at the store said that he really likes it on the rocks too.  After a small sip, I can see that, even at 93 proof. It's spicier than I thought it would be.  

I'm a slow sipper,  so I'll add a small splash.

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I've done a horrific job of it😂

I think as long as you insist on adhering to the second definition, you are doing fine...

Cull.gif

• I like it 6

23 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

I think as long as you insist on adhering to the second definition, you are doing fine...

Cull.gif

Phew!!!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, IamMatt said:

Cull.gif

Just goes to show bourbon drinkers are cerebral and well read folk.  We are also both inside and outside the box thinkers.  In this instance, inside the box works well.  😀

• I like it 2

picked this up two nights ago. I also just cracked it open to see how it compared to the single barrel version i also have.

20230203_193018.jpg

I haven't come across a 375ml of Chattanooga before, the bottle was kinda cute so I went ahead and picked it up.  It will also make a great little decanting bottle some day.  Included some 750s just for scale.

So ... Whistlepig has their piglets, WT has their little turklets, so I figure this little guy has to be called a little Choo choo, no? Lol

20230203_221033.thumb.jpg.94d872ead218cb34e644182ffd23afd4.jpg

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.