What Bourbon Did You Purchase Winter 2023?

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

Age statement came off in the U.S. around 1991-1992 if I remember correctly. 

Thanks....it may be older...I've been collecting miniatures, (off and on)since the late 70's.  Mainly weird/unusual bottles that I found when we lived in Naples, Italy.    Not sure why I would have the WT though, as there was nothing unusual about that.   My Dad and I dipped the necks in paraffin, back in the early 80's, to help stave off evaporation.    Most of them are intact but, as you can see, the WT1010 had some evaporation.    I promised a buddy of mine that we would crack it at our next bourbon get-together, and compare it to the current crop...

WT 101 8 YEARS.jpg

• I like it 6

6 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Nothing special about the Japan-only age stated 8 year WT, it’s just a neat novelty bottle for the bunker that I just so happened to have an opportunity for my cousin to pick up. A while back he got me a Four Roses Super Premium from Japan. Another neat novelty bottle is MM with the temporarily reduced ABV. I like keeping those unopened because they’re fun to own and talk about with any guests that are interested. 

Roger that!    I have a few novelty bottles myself, that I've managed to leave unopened.

Thanks! 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks....it may be older...I've been collecting miniatures, (off and on)since the late 70's.  Mainly weird/unusual bottles that I found when we lived in Naples, Italy.    Not sure why I would have the WT though, as there was nothing unusual about that.   My Dad and I dipped the necks in paraffin, back in the early 80's, to help stave off evaporation.    Most of them are intact but, as you can see, the WT1010 had some evaporation.    I promised a buddy of mine that we would crack it at our next bourbon get-together, and compare it to the current crop...

WT 101 8 YEARS.jpg

I had a couple minis of 8/101 from the 70s, good dusty Turkey! Shared one with a buddy too, best way to enjoy it.

• I like it 2

At a tasting tonight (see the "what are you drinking.." thread) that had a mini lottery/drawing and came away with an EC18. The OGD114 was an extra pickup since on sale for $25. Passed on HMcK10 for $65.

Gonna make some Grandpa Weller's Four Grain.

20230216_211801.jpg

• I like it 8

8 hours ago, Clueby said:

and came away with an EC18

That one has been really, really been growing on me.  I tend to not go for old...often too much oak/tannin for my liking.  9 to 12 seems to be my personal sweet spot. The EC18 I opened does not have that problem.  Great flavor, complex, not bitter.  Great sipper.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

I picked up an ECBP, the C922. It's the first new ECBP I've purchased in probably 3 or 4 years.  

I look forward to your notes!

• I like it 2

Received the latest addition to the WT RB collection, the WT-RB-01-97 on the left. Now the hunt continues for the 01-99 and older RB's....

IMG_0530.jpg

• I like it 18

1 hour ago, Obree said:

Received the latest addition to the WT RB collection, the WT-RB-01-97 on the left. Now the hunt continues for the 01-99 and older RB's....

IMG_0530.jpg

I might have missed it but where did you pick those up? I love the bottle style and older school turkey graphic.

40 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

I might have missed it but where did you pick those up? I love the bottle style and older school turkey graphic.

Found the WT-RB-01-97 in Italy. Found 2 of the 2003 WT03RB in Ireland, the 2014 WT03RB also in Italy.

• I like it 1

haven't seen these around much in a long while, so it was a no brainer to grab a local ls pick while I could.

20230217_125410.jpg

• I like it 7

20 hours ago, Kepler said:

I picked up an ECBP, the C922. It's the first new ECBP I've purchased in probably 3 or 4 years.  

It is one of the better ones in recent years.  I emptied one and have another in the bunker.

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, Anwalt said:

That one has been really, really been growing on me.  I tend to not go for old...often too much oak/tannin for my liking.  9 to 12 seems to be my personal sweet spot. The EC18 I opened does not have that problem.  Great flavor, complex, not bitter.  Great sipper.

I had one of the older EC18s years ago.  It was like drinking liquid toothpicks.  I ended up blending it 50/50 with EC12 before the age statement disappeared.  It was spectacular.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

It is one of the better ones in recent years.  I emptied one and have another in the bunker.

Great to know!

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, Anwalt said:

I look forward to your notes!

Yessir!  See the "what bottle did you open" thread for my overall impressions.  I'm not big on tasting notes tonight, but just know that this is one is really superb and I'll pick up a backup or two if I come across it again.

I snagged a friend a bottle of Remus VI and he came over the other night to pick it up.  He had bought this at the PX on base, so we traded rather than do cash. 

JD Heroes.gif

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, jvd99 said:

Four Roses Small Batch Select - going through this way too fast!

I originally preferred FRSiB standard OBSV.  However, over time, I have changed my tune.  Occasionally, I find a stellar standard 100 proof SiB; however, there is something to be said for a consistently good bourbon.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I originally preferred FRSiB standard OBSV.  However, over time, I have changed my tune.  Occasionally, I find a stellar standard 100 proof SiB; however, there is something to be said for a consistently good bourbon.

I've never compared them directly -- now I know I have homework to do!  Actually I don't have a standard SiB open... I've gotten into the habit of drinking the store pick recipes that I just forget to crack open a 100 proof standard bottle.  I need to fix that pronto!

• I like it 3

Weekend haul (though actually accumulation of past orders that I finally got around to picking up from local store).   Mix of liquors including bourbon, scotch, Japanese whisky, tequila, cognac, wine, and some liqueurs for cocktails. Heard mixed reviews on the Remus VI but loved the 3 and the 5. With the increase in price though, I want to see for myself if I’ll be a future buyer. Also finally able to get the ECBP C922 and a private pick barrel proof from my local store. 

22C78AAD-5457-4C74-8743-9244C86588FF.jpeg

• I like it 9

had to do some shopping yesterday and decided to hit up a few small LS that I don't get to very often. Spent some time talking with the owner of one store, and he goes in the back to see if they had any BT bourbon cream left. They were out, but he came out with this beauty instead. I happily accepted the chance to buy it. Have heard great things about the C922 batch and thought I wasn't going to find one at this point, but I was pleasantly surprised yesterday. 

20230220_080836.jpg

Edited by Double C's
  • I like it 9

A couple of OGD 114s over the weekend.  OGDBIB a week or so ago.  Now, 114.  I hope they continue to be made available with better regularity.

• I like it 5

9 hours ago, Wlrogers said:

I purchased this pour of EH Taylor Small batch for 4 dollars at my local bar.

IMG_0558.jpeg

I would take that $4 pour over the $4 bottle behind it!

• I like it 2

Never had a Yellowstone of any iteration before. Binnys made like six barrel picks and the label caught my eye so I figured why not. It had a big sign “one per customer, not one per barrel”

43706773-C542-405A-910E-93220BB4DAA3.jpeg

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.