What Bourbon did you Purchase the Spring of 2023?

Skinsfan1311

4 hours ago, Mano said:

Special ordered a bunch of WT RB and KS from our DABC. Splitting the RB with some friends, a little pricey here ( came to $67 with tax ). The only reason I ordered the KS was the price, I thought it was a typo, but they gave it to me for the listed price ( came to $35/bottle with tax ).  Bought 2 cases of each.

20230405_141333.thumb.jpg.495e4b5f4fe763c06b4fedc215a65844.jpgactually gave it to

That’s an awesome price on the Kentucky Spirit! I’d load up at that price. VA put the fan tail bottle on close out at $30 before the transition, I bought a bunch but wish I bought more!

• I like it 2

FedEx showed up today (ER & BT) and Mrs. Clueby stopped by the grocery store on the way home (WT).

20230406_195214.jpg

• I like it 6

Picked up a ECBP C922( 6 in the bunker now!! ) and a Col EHT small batch. Good day...

• I like it 3

You can't make a good Manhattan without some Rye and Vermouth.

RYE.thumb.jpg.6c60d1cad99daa44eb9d7026320a5dbb.jpg

And yes I know it's not bourbon but nobody goes to the Rye thread anyway.

• I like it 5

Coopers Craft is not distributed in CA so I shopped around and found an online store with a good price, so I bought, uh, several.  And it only made sense to amortize the shipping cost over a few more bottles, right?  And a member of our NextDoor whiskey group piggybacked an order too, so...

Luekens.jpg

• I like it 5

It's been a quiet month or so for me;  I think this was my first trip to the packie since February.   I've been mostly involved with solera creation and consumption,  but a sunny weekend at the Jersey shore included some time for some good old fashioned hunting.   

With Pikesville still MIA in these parts,  I will say with confidence that Sagamore is the best rye to be found.   They blend from the best - 95/5 MGP rye with MGP Kentucky style (barely legal) rye - and the result is sublime. 

This is my third bottle of a 6-year "Barrel Select" store pick . Apparently this is a two barrel batch of consisting of a specific 95/5 barrel the liquor store selects, which is then blended together with  Kentucky style rye that the Sagamore alchemists apply to produce a pure pleasure bomb. 

Who needs Pikesville?   

The 8-year is a new one to me, and carries a 20 dollar price premium over the Barrel Select,   but Sagamore has more than earned my trust and patronage.  This from the sound of it appears to be a heart punch of flavor.   It's time to get down to some research.

20230409_161221_HDR.jpg

• I like it 6

Bought a bottle of Blanton's. First time in years I've seen one on the shelf that wasn't ridiculously marked up

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

It's been a quiet month or so for me;  I think this was my first trip to the packie since February.   I've been mostly involved with solera creation and consumption,  but a sunny weekend at the Jersey shore included some time for some good old fashioned hunting.   

With Pikesville still MIA in these parts,  I will say with confidence that Sagamore is the best rye to be found.   They blend from the best - 95/5 MGP rye with MGP Kentucky style (barely legal) rye - and the result is sublime. 

This is my third bottle of a 6-year "Barrel Select" store pick . Apparently this is a two barrel batch of consisting of a specific 95/5 barrel the liquor store selects, which is then blended together with  Kentucky style rye that the Sagamore alchemists apply to produce a pure pleasure bomb. 

Who needs Pikesville?   

The 8-year is a new one to me, and carries a 20 dollar price premium over the Barrel Select,   but Sagamore has more than earned my trust and patronage.  This from the sound of it appears to be a heart punch of flavor.   It's time to get down to some research.

20230409_161221_HDR.jpg

Nice!

I need Pikesville🤣

That being said, those Sagamore Barrel Select bottles,  (at least the ones I have...from two different picks),are amazing.  

"8 year old?"

I haven't tried, or seen, that one.

Must have!!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 4

On 4/9/2023 at 6:00 PM, Jazzhead said:

Who needs Pikesville?   

20230409_161221_HDR.jpg

I just picked at Sagamore: each sample was a blend of two MGP barrels, one the 95/5 and the other the KY style MGP rye. All barrels were 7 years old and the samples were proofed down to bottling proof (110). I also got to try the 8 year, it was very nice.

• I like it 5

On 4/8/2023 at 5:36 PM, IamMatt said:

And it only made sense to amortize the shipping cost over a few more bottles, right? 

That belongs in the Pro Tip thread... 

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I just picked at Sagamore: each sample was a blend of two MGP barrels, one the 95/5 and the other the KY style MGP rye. All barrels were 7 years old and the samples were proofed down to bottling proof (110). I also got to try the 8 year, it was very nice.

Sagamore is great stuff.   The Barrel Select is a direct comp to the elusive Pikesville - similar price, proof and age,  with the cool factor (at least to me)  of the blending of high and low rye mashbills.   I can't say enough about the quality in this bottle. 

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Sagamore is great stuff.   The Barrel Select is a direct comp to the elusive Pikesville - similar price, proof and age,  with the cool factor (at least to me)  of the blending of high and low rye mashbills.   I can't say enough about the quality in this bottle. 

I agree!

• I like it 2

I rarely shop at the Jewels but I wanted to cash in my coins for an Amazon gift card at the Coinstar. So I went to a location near me yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find several bottles of Knob Creek 12 sitting there and decided to bring one home....

• I like it 3

On 3/24/2023 at 9:03 PM, Bourbon Scout said:

End thread!

20230324_132058.thumb.jpg.c01506ac208444ef02b055af144e9cc8.jpg

That's the 10-star AAA, right? 

Work took me through Kentucky this week. I didn't have a lot of luck visiting distilleries on my way north. But on my way South today I stopped at Jim Beam and four roses. I did check this time to see if they were open on Wednesdays and they were. But when I got to Four Roses, the parking lot was completely empty but I pulled in anyway. I walked up to the front door, it was open and I walked in, said hello and they said "oh we have some allocated bourbon today would you like one?"

How could I say no?

20230412_163047.jpg

20230412_163145.jpg

• I like it 11

24 minutes ago, Davesnothere said:

Work took me through Kentucky this week. I didn't have a lot of luck visiting distilleries on my way north. But on my way South today I stopped at Jim Beam and four roses. I did check this time to see if they were open on Wednesdays and they were. But when I got to Four Roses, the parking lot was completely empty but I pulled in anyway. I walked up to the front door, it was open and I walked in, said hello and they said "oh we have some allocated bourbon today would you like one?"

How could I say no?

20230412_163047.jpg

20230412_163145.jpg

That's cool!

The same thing happened to us, a few years ago.

We stopped by, in between distillery tours, and pulled into the lot, and snagged a few bottles that would be,  undoubtedly,  allocated now.  

• I like it 1

Went to a blind BIB tasting tonight (see the "What are you drinking...")  Those are always so humbling. 

There were some bottles available afterwards. Picked up a couple ECBP along with a jar of cherries. Met a friend there who also had his barrel aged Old Fashioned MM101 with him. Passed on Larceny BP, HMcK10, EC toasted.  There was only 1 bottle of EC18 up for grabs.

20230412_205539.jpg

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

How could I say no?

20230412_163047.jpg

20230412_163145.jpg

Pretty cool!  Why yes, thank you!  I just happened to have allocated some money in case you had allocated bourbon.  Win-win.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Went to a blind BIB tasting tonight (see the "What are you drinking...")  Those are always so humbling. 

There were some bottles available afterwards. Picked up a couple ECBP along with a jar of cherries. Met a friend there who also had his barrel aged Old Fashioned MM101 with him. Passed on Larceny BP, HMcK10, EC toasted.  There was only 1 bottle of EC18 up for grabs.

20230412_205539.jpg

So now sellers are hawking bottles during bottle shares?  Or was it a store sponsored event?

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

So now sellers are hawking bottles during bottle shares?  Or was it a store sponsored event?

No..we were meeting there so he brought me a bottle of his OF that I put in the car before the event started.

The BIB tasting part was a store sponsored event. 

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, Davesnothere said:

How could I say no?

4R is really good that way.  A local distribution law evidently changed allowing them to sell more.  They almost always answer when one calls ahead, and they answer truthfully.  They do not want one to waste driving time, and also want to sell if they have bottles.

Side note: I hope Lux Row has the 12 year double barreled in the gift shop at the end of the month.  I've gotten to liking that bottle quite a lot.

Edited by Anwalt

On 4/12/2023 at 6:45 PM, Davesnothere said:

How could I say no?

20230412_163047.jpg

20230412_163145.jpg

Drop by any place - middle of the week middle of the day.  Often pays off.

Weekends for the taters.

• I like it 3