What Bourbon did you Purchase the Spring of 2023?

Skinsfan1311

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That purchase was a no-brainer.

If it's anything like the 15 year, you stole it🤘🏻

It's funny you say that. It was on a special bottle table they have by the cash register.  The shelf tag said it was 15 years old.  I saw the bottle label said 2008. I didn't realize it was 13 years old until I got home.

I saw the same bottle at a larger chain several bottles deep on the shelf for $54.99.

It is really good. I would grab a few more bottles at $29.99 if any were available.  😀

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, BigRich said:

The regular is not something I reach for often, especially at today's prices, but it is a nice pour.  Not worth the effort that people put into acquiring it but nice bourbon none the less.  I actually find it to be one of the few 'meal bourbons' out there.  As much as I enjoy bourbon, I generally find it to be too overpowering to enjoy with a meal.  Blanton's is one of the few exceptions. 

Hancock might also fit the bill as a meal bourbon.  Usually when I have a nice steak dinner, I start out with a bourbon before dinner and have a nice red wine with the meal.  With some casual fare (BBQ, pizza, burger, etc.) I will unashamedly drink bourbon and root beer, coke, etc.

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, Cibsie said:

We went a little overboard in KY last weekend.

Image.thumb.jpeg.023b1438cdcb154000b570fad4439ba8.jpeg

Just a little😄

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, Cibsie said:

We went a little overboard in KY last weekend.

Image.thumb.jpeg.023b1438cdcb154000b570fad4439ba8.jpeg

I knew KY is the Bourbon Mother Land but I never knew bourbon was actually in the water.  Which lake or river were in when you went overboard?  😀

Nice haul! I wouldn't throw any of those bottles back in the water. 🤪

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

On 5/6/2023 at 9:28 PM, jvd99 said:

I haven’t had any of the more wacky blends or finishes, like New Years, Vantage or Seagrass. Anyone have experience with these? Are they so different from a regular bourbon profile?  Are they worth space in the bunker? There’s so many iterations, it seems like trying to narrow down is futile without help from SBers!! 

I liked #32 a lot.  I got a (rumor has it) Willett-sourced store pick from Westport Wine & Whiskey.  I liked it so much that I bought...quite a few when it flash-saled for $70/bottle.  I hope that their store picks continue to excel under the new owners.

I bought the regular (vs. gray label) Seagrass.  Not to my liking - the finish struck me as saccharine, artificial.  I like a sweet finish, but not one that tastes like cancer.  Gave that one away to someone who loved it.  TomAto, Tomahto.

• I like it 1

Found my first handle of WSR today in Ohio, $50-something out the door.

• I like it 6

9 hours ago, Cibsie said:

This was just down the road.  Confirmed to be pure White Dog.

\Image.thumb.jpeg.9a0ab3202b40c89206def46a7f17f529.jpeg

😀😀😀

• I like it 1

Cheap Bastard strikes again.  Local chain had Legent on sale for $10.  I picked up a couple of bottles. 

My take.  Fred Noe had several thousand barrels of below average Jim Beam he needed to get rid of.  Suntory concocted a scenario where it would be aged in wine and sherry casks to cover up the taste.  They then had a "famed" Japanese Blender mix this finished whiskey with more below average Jim Beam and put it in a fancy bottle. 

This said, while I am not certain what it is as it certainly isn't straight bourbon, I do like it.  I have never bought a bottle but a friend gifted me some to try.  He liked it.  So did I but not at $40 a bottle.  

I always thought it was an over-priced shelf turd.  Apparently, the distributor did as well as they sold their remaining inventory to one of the larger retailers in the State to clear it out.  

Cheap Bastard recent pickups.  Gifted bottle of Heavens Door 14 year, gifted bottle of Still Austin Cask Strength, Dickel BIB 13 Year for $29.99, and two bottles of Legent for $10 each  

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Cheap Bastard strikes again.  Local chain had Legent on sale for $10.  I picked up a couple of bottles. 

My take.  Fred Noe had several thousand barrels of below average Jim Beam he needed to get rid of.  Suntory concocted a scenario where it would be aged in wine and sherry casks to cover up the taste.  They then had a "famed" Japanese Blender mix this finished whiskey with more below average Jim Beam and put it in a fancy bottle. 

This said, while I am not certain what it is as it certainly isn't straight bourbon, I do like it.  I have never bought a bottle but a friend gifted me some to try.  He liked it.  So did I but not at $40 a bottle.  

I always thought it was an over-priced shelf turd.  Apparently, the distributor did as well as they sold their remaining inventory to one of the larger retailers in the State to clear it out.  

Cheap Bastard recent pickups.  Gifted bottle of Heavens Door 14 year, gifted bottle of Still Austin Cask Strength, Dickel BIB 13 Year for $29.99, and two bottles of Legent for $10 each  

Question Mike. Who are all the “friends” you are conning into gifting you all these bottles?  🤪

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Question Mike. Who are all the “friends” you are conning into gifting you all these bottles?  🤪

Someone i work with and future DIL. 😀 

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Someone i work with and future DIL. 😀 

Nuff ‘Ced. Carry on. 👍

• I like it 2

Went to my new local for OF100 and WT101 and came away with so much more.

They were actually out of OF100 - says it's hard to get right now. (Checked TW website and they have it so will go there tomorrow).

BUT! They had OGD114. Haven't seen this in more than a year.  They also had the shelfie KCSiB which I also haven't seen in more than a year so I snagged 2.

They had a distributor pick for restaurants of ECBP that there was extra of and I tried it at the tasting bar and it's excellent so I grabbed one of those.

Best news is that they now know me well enough that I'm "in the system" for discounts and the lotteries for the allocated stuff.

• I like it 10

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I always thought it was an over-priced shelf turd.

THIS .................................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ should be a bumper sticker, t-shirt, coffee mug, etc. 😁

• I like it 3

Picked up a WTRB and a David Nicholson 1843. RB was $59 and the 1843 $29.  Fair average!!

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Picked up a WTRB and a David Nicholson 1843. RB was $59 and the 1843 $29.  Fair average!!

Scored 4 WTRB recently in Germany for 36 EUR each (about 40 USD), that will likely be the last time I see a price like that!

• I like it 3

Got lucky this week:

-- $70 Weller 12 (email notice from Total Wine)

-- $40 Eagle Rare (from a local shop)

• I like it 10

21 hours ago, flahute said:

They were actually out of OF100 - says it's hard to get right now. (Checked TW website and they have it so will go there tomorrow).

BUT! They had OGD114. Haven't seen this in more than a year.  They also had the shelfie KCSiB which I also haven't seen in more than a year so I snagged 2.

They had a distributor pick for restaurants of ECBP that there was extra of and I tried it at the tasting bar and it's excellent so I grabbed one of those.

Best news is that they now know me well enough that I'm "in the system" for discounts and the lotteries for the allocated stuff.

OF100 has been hard to find here in NH the last few months as well. Maybe it is just a short term distribution issue, or because it takes longer to get to our ends of each coast. Either way, it is harder to find for sure. 

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, flahute said:

I just saw my local Kroger get re-stocked with OF 100, so maybe some's coming your way.

• I like it 1

OF100 is everywhere in Indiana.  Maybe, Brown-Foreman, doesn't care about WA and NH or your distributors are idiots. 

• I like it 3

On 5/14/2023 at 7:20 PM, mbroo5880i said:

OF100 is everywhere in Indiana.  Maybe, Brown-Foreman, doesn't care about WA and NH or your distributors are idiots. 

At first, I wondered if the state-to-state inconsistent availability of a (more or less) mass-produced product is at least partly an artifact of the infamous three tiered system we are subjected to.  Then I realized that under the same system, other products like Jim Beam, Jack Daniel's, Jose Cuervo, Smirnoff, Bud/Coors/Miller, etc. are always readily available so I figured it must be that it must be a supply/demand issue. 

But surely, mega-corporations like Sazerac and Diageo have large, experienced departments and sophisticated software and tracking data to distribute their products efficiently?  Or maybe their individual brands (OF, JD, etc.) are left to manage their own distribution?  Or could some distributors in the middle of the chain just be really bad at their jobs?  i dunno.

• I like it 2

Stopped into a LBS yesterday as I had a bit of time and am casually looking for older WTr rye bottlings. BTW for the posts above, there was OF100 on the shelf several deep. Anyhow, this particular store has a closeout bin near the entrance usually stocked with shelf turd wines and such. I always look and never see bourbon, until....yesterday there were 5 Thomas Moore chardonnay and a single Thomas Moore port sitting in there. I was curious when these released until saw the prices which was around 80. These didn't set off fireworks upon release and I recall the consensus was less than glowing, still, I am a Barton fan and did a quick search to refresh my memory. The port was considered less objectionable than the chardonnay so I grabbed that lone bottle for 19.99. I am certainly willing to try it at that price. In the long ago era of 8-10 yrs ago trying new things was fun and usually didn't set you back more than 20ish bucks so this was a flashback to how whiskey shoppin used to be, I was genuinely giddy!! I will eventually open this but it would have to REALLY suck to make me regret the purchase.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Stopped into a LBS yesterday as I had a bit of time and am casually looking for older WTr rye bottlings. BTW for the posts above, there was OF100 on the shelf several deep. Anyhow, this particular store has a closeout bin near the entrance usually stocked with shelf turd wines and such. I always look and never see bourbon, until....yesterday there were 5 Thomas Moore chardonnay and a single Thomas Moore port sitting in there. I was curious when these released until saw the prices which was around 80. These didn't set off fireworks upon release and I recall the consensus was less than glowing, still, I am a Barton fan and did a quick search to refresh my memory. The port was considered less objectionable than the chardonnay so I grabbed that lone bottle for 19.99. I am certainly willing to try it at that price. In the long ago era of 8-10 yrs ago trying new things was fun and usually didn't set you back more than 20ish bucks so this was a flashback to how whiskey shoppin used to be, I was genuinely giddy!! I will eventually open this but it would have to REALLY suck to make me regret the purchase.

I've tried all from that series (I think) and if I remember, the port was the best of the bunch.  I owned a bottle of the chardonnay and paid $75ish.  Certainly wouldn't do that again but I'd buy it at $20 all day long.  I thought it was unique enough to be an interesting pour occasionally.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Stopped into a LBS yesterday as I had a bit of time and am casually looking for older WTr rye bottlings.

Kev, did you just do this entire board a huge favor by coming up with this great shortcut to Wilderness Trail???   
If so, we need to let the Boss know, so he can get it an under-line!

• I like it 3