What Bourbon did you Purchase the Spring of 2023?

Skinsfan1311
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/16/2023 at 12:42 AM, PaulO said:

I would consider Bernheim BP if the price wasn't too high.

I've tried the regular 90 proof version more than once.  I wanted to like it, but it seemed to have almost no flavor, just very bland.  I was hoping more like a wheat mash bill Bourbon, but no.

I had the Bernheim BP at a bar - and I really liked it.   I think its only $65 in Indiana.    I also tried the barrel your own barrel proof at HH in Bardstown - thought it was great!

• I like it 1

I don't usually succumb to the Total Wine, buy-in which is why I keep a George Remus around instead of TW's "MGP of the week" variations. However, I tried a Bondstone CS today and was a bit surprised at how light the overall experience was. It was quite tasty with the burn being a typical high rye instead of a 121+ proof firebomb.

Bottom line; I bought one..

P.S. It's a Kentucky Straight - anyone know the distiller?

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

3 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

I don't usually succumb to the Total Wine, buy-in which is why I keep a George Remus around instead of TW's "MGP of the week" variations. However, I tried a Bondstone CS today and was a bit surprised at how light the overall experience was. It was quite tasty with the burn being a typical high rye instead of a 121+ proof firebomb.

Bottom line; I bought one..

P.S. It's a Kentucky Straight - anyone know the distiller?

Total Wine gets a lot of bourbon from Barton and many of their store brands are Barton. 

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Total Wine gets a lot of bourbon from Barton and many of their store brands are Barton. 

The Bondstone brand is owned by IJW Whiskey Company LLC.  They appear to own several little known brands including the Puncher's Chance brand.  While they appear to be building a distillery, it sounds like up to this point (since 2016) they have been purchasing whiskey from other distillers and storing in their own warehouses.  There is much speculation on the internet that Barton and Bardstown, and possibly Wilderness trail, are their primary sources of distillate.

https://whiskyadvocate.com/kentuckys-most-mysterious-bourbon-producer-steps-out-shadows-exclusive/

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

The Bondstone brand is owned by IJW Whiskey Company LLC.  They appear to own several little known brands including the Puncher's Chance brand.  While they appear to be building a distillery, it sounds like up to this point (since 2016) they have been purchasing whiskey from other distillers and storing in their own warehouses.  There is much speculation on the internet that Barton and Bardstown, and possibly Wilderness trail, are their primary sources of distillate.

https://whiskyadvocate.com/kentuckys-most-mysterious-bourbon-producer-steps-out-shadows-exclusive/

Thanx, nice read with my coffee this am...

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 1

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Was at WTrail yesterday and there are IJW branded Rick houses on immediately adjacent property within clear view from WT. They are sourcing from WT certainly and aging in those buildings. They may be sourcing elsewhere as well and blending all into whatever they bottle as I am unfamiliar with their brands but WTrail is certainly as least a component.

An out of character roll of the dice as I have shifted to try before buy purchases in recent years as it relates to single barrels. While at WTrail yesterday, I was made aware that along with the re- labeled releases ( to simplify, clarify….I find it MORE confusing LOL). The locally sourced heritage rye that made up settlers select rye has been augmented with rye grain sourced from elsewhere and not of the same heritage variety. My original settlers select from 2019 was rationed out as long as possible but eventually emptied, I loved its multilayered complexity even at 4 yrs age. I tried the new ryes, both BIB  and batched CS and while still good, they were different. I had a taste of the new 7 yr rye as I was told it’s majority heritage local rye and sho nuff, there were the notes I cherished in my ‘19 bottle. Surprisingly they still had a few of the old SS branded CS ryes on the shelf so I grabbed 2 of different proofs as I was advised they contain a majority if not all local rye. The newer grain came into play sometime in 2018 when the 36” still was installed and production was increased. The local rye source can’t supply as much as they use. PSA: my palate is a bit skewed so I will sum up with A) I tasted a difference and prefer the original version. B, if you are a WTrail settlers select Rye fan, perhaps grab one before they are gone as going forward the heritage rye is and will remain a component but it is no longer 100%. The Campari buyout will only expand distribution and production demands so I don’t know how or if they will get back to the original recipe. Both again are good but I found them to be different so….. there ya go. The tour itself was very enjoyable and the staff at WTrail is always personable and warm. Reminds me of what distillery tours used to be like before they grew to mammoth size. Slainte.

• I like it 3

BT and MM have become my go to bourbons over the last 8 months or so. As luck would have it,  I’ve been able to find family sized bottles of both at pretty reasonable prices. I’ll buy 1.75’s, then decant into 750’s. I was getting just a little low on MM, sooooooo, I bought a handle of MM this afternoon. And yes, it was dipped by my gal. :D

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

• I like it 9

In the past couple weeks, I've picked up Blanton's, WSR and ER10. Good to see BT products back on the shelf, even if it's 1 per customer. Would like to see more of the Weller line readily available. I hope finally we're seeing the benefit of production ramp up over the past 10 years. If they overshoot, maybe another glut from the majors, which would be even better.  

Would be great to get the 4R single barrel store picks back going again too

• I like it 4

19 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

BT and MM have become my go to bourbons over the last 8 months or so. As luck would have it,  I’ve been able to find family sized bottles of both at pretty reasonable prices. I’ll buy 1.75’s, then decant into 750’s. I was getting just a little low on MM, sooooooo, I bought a handle of MM this afternoon. And yes, it was dipped by my gal. :D

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

There are several instances, where I have walked around with MM in plastic cups, to include being 'relegated to only' even in New Orleans . I not only don't mind it; I like it!

The heavy vanilla in MM, gives it pizazz...

• I like it 5

10 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

There are several instances, where I have walked around with MM in plastic cups, to include being 'relegated to only' even in New Orleans . I not only don't mind it; I like it!

The heavy vanilla in MM, gives it pizazz...

Same, Bayou.  Standard Maker’s is very under-rated bourbon.  It’s always on my bar.  

• I like it 5

I have been failing on my pledge of no purchases for one year.

(Obviously this would not apply if I came across a special bottle (to me) at a fair price. This will not happen due to my current standards.)

I've been on a big road trip this month and have tested my resolve at stores all over. I needed sips along the way, so...

WT101 Rye $21. Eastern CO

OGD BiB $19. Central AR

Larceny BP C922 $80. near the AL/GA state line

EC18 $189. Western GA

Larceny BP C922 $85. North Atlanta

WTKS $63. North Atlanta

EC 8 yr store pick 94p $36. North GA

KC9 $29. West Tennessee

OF 100 $19. OKC

EW1783 Litre $18. OKC

Baby Saz $27. OKC

WSR 1.75 $60. West OK

• I like it 6

On 4/26/2023 at 9:21 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

IMG_1889.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

Joe, I'm right there with you on MM. After MM101 became a go-to for me back in '21, I tried MM for the first time in quite a few years. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Now I always have an open bottle.

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Same, Bayou.  Standard Maker’s is very under-rated bourbon.  It’s always on my bar.  

Agreed, Maker's Mark, the bourbon and the distillery, is really under-rated by "enthusiasts." The standard bourbon is solid and has good flavor at 90 proof. Will it knock your socks off? No, but I still can enjoy it neat and it is great for less experienced bourbon drinkers and cocktails. The 101 is also quite good. I was disappointed with the bottle of cask strength I had years ago, but it is definitely on my list to re-taste. People who are "into" bourbon point to entry proof all the time, but rarely mention that Maker's still goes in at 110, lower than all of the other legacy distillers. Do I wish they did some higher age stated straight bourbons? Sure, but that doesn't diminish the quality of what they do release. And for a bourbon that used to advertise itself as "tastes expensive... and is," it is actually a really good value in the current market. A 1.75L handle is $43 at Total Wine, which equates to less than $20 per 750mL.

• I like it 6

Got a call from my guy that he had some blantons in. I had him on the look out for me as I have a buddy that mentioned it and I always have to fight for the dinner check so I figured I would gift it out.  Picked up a few others to make it worth my guy always setting things back for me. 

Stoked to find the Hibiki too as I was almost out. 

228B44E9-BB4D-4BEB-984D-689556CF57D1.jpeg

• I like it 5

I grabbed a store labelled (Meijer) KCSiB for $39.99.  Nothing special but I wanted to note that I have seen availability of KC ramp up recently.  In my area, KC9 can routinely be found for $28, KCSiB for $40-$45, and KC12 for $55-$65.  These are great prices for a quality KSBW with age and proof in today's market.  Kudos to Beam!

I am also regularly seeing Baker's Single Barrel for $58-$72.  No thanks!  I tapped out at $50 when it was a blend.  I have only tried a couple of Baker's Single Barrels, both closer to $50.  I guess there might be a stellar single barrel out there but it is a crap shoot unless it is a store pick and I have not seen a Baker's Single Barrel store pick.  Even then, the common theme is store picks are selling for more than the standard offering.  It was a great pour as a small batch.  It is too bad they didn't take the same approach as KC.  Standard small batch and single barrel.

Booker's? Forgetaboutit.  It has been a while since I have seen one on the shelf.   I love it but it is not worth the $99-$119 price tag on the empty shelf.

• I like it 1

As a follow up to my post on KC and because the Colts don't draft again for a long time, I thought I would share the following.

Meijer is a crazy place to shop for bourbon.  They have some interesting bottles in the mid-to upper-tier range and great prices on standard bottles like WT101, OF100, etc.  However, unlike a retail liquor store, the employees really have no idea what they are placing on the shelf.  

I found the KCSiB on the shelf space for KC12.  There was no shelf label anywhere else for KCSiB.  I found the price on their price scanner.  They think everything labelled KC is placed on the same shelf space. 

Previously, one of the employees was walking around with a bottle of WL12 not sure where to put it since there was no shelf label for Weller.  I directed her to place the bottle in my hand.  I am always willing to assist employees who need help.  I have also found FRSiB on the shelf for $23 because I assume they thought it was FRYL.  I almost want to visit the store on a daily basis just to see what crazy stuff I might find. 

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Booker's? Forgetaboutit.  It has been a while since I have seen one on the shelf.   I love it but it is not worth the $99-$119 price tag on the empty shelf.

Bookers is pretty easy to find around me if you know where to look.  I haven’t seen any under $100 in a long while though. I picked up the 22-04 last week for $102 mainly because I like to have some on the shelf and a few of my friends really like bookers. 

• I like it 1

My local shop got a distributor discount on liters of OF86, so I grabbed 2 bottles for $18.99 each. 

IMG_3525.jpeg

• I like it 7

I just purchased an old favorite... WT Rare Breed. I also purchased WT rRre Breed Rye. I was/am a huge fan of WT 101 Rye. When I saw this, I had to buy it...lol. Anyone tried this yet? Thoughts?

Edited by ebo
  • I like it 4

I needed some inspiration to get back on this treadmill.  I think I can "handle" it now. 

IMG_20230429_134626.jpg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, ebo said:

I just purchased an old favorite... WT Rare Breed. I also purchased WT rRre Breed Rye. I was/am a huge fan of WT 101 Rye. When I saw this, I had to buy it...lol. Anyone tried this yet? Thoughts?

I just finished a bottle of WTRB last night.  I love WTRB Rye.  While I enjoy both, WTRB Rye is definitely a superior pour compared to WT 101 Rye.  I find it smoother and less rough around the edges.  Enjoy!

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

8 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

My local shop got a distributor discount on liters of OF86, so I grabbed 2 bottles for $18.99 each. 

IMG_3525.jpeg

In my freezer bottle rotation with 1L FRYL.  Nice  buy, BTW.  🥰

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.