What Bourbon Are You Drinking Spring 2023

PaulO

Well He!!...

I was looking forward to the BBC Wheater just opened. Not bad on the nose with a prevalent caramel apple, but not W107 good, which wins in every blind tasting; nosewise...

Quickie cherry-cola but moves to dark plum followed by "lasting ugly oak". Follow up pour; same.

I thought it may my palate, so I tried the BBC high rye, which I have been enjoying & the ugly oak returned, proving Palatus Suckus Non Est Bonum; it was me, sh!+...

What have I to lose; opened my 1st bottle of Old Scout. A six year, Indiana distilled bottle that I've had for a year or so. I bought this because it was supposed to be a MGP variation, however I'm getting a bit of Dickel here. Flavor-wise, it's rich and "smooth" but the Flinstones are there...

Moving on to supper... 🙄

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Well He!!...

I was looking forward to the BBC Wheater just opened. Not bad on the nose with a prevalent caramel apple, but not W107 good, which wins in every blind tasting; nosewise...

Quickie cherry-cola but moves to dark plum followed by "lasting ugly oak". Follow up pour; same.

I thought it may my palate, so I tried the BBC high rye, which I have been enjoying & the ugly oak returned, proving Palatus Suckus Non Est Bonum; it was me, sh!+...

What have I to lose; opened my 1st bottle of Old Scout. A six year, Indiana distilled bottle that I've had for a year or so. I bought this because it was supposed to be a MGP variation, however I'm getting a bit of Dickel here. Flavor-wise, it's rich and "smooth" but the Flinstones are there...

Moving on to supper... 🙄

Well, the good thing is the next time you try it, you may just find it hits the spot.  I have gotten almost all the way through bottles that I had sought out and had high hopes for but just didn't enjoy.  I would try everything I could think of...splash of water, ice, sitting in the glass for awhile.  Nothing.  Then toward the end of the bottle something clicks and I find that I enjoy it.  Then, I wish I had more and I can't find another bottle.  Hopefully, you will find your sweet spot with this bottle early in your journey and enjoy it!

My palate is finicky.  I can find a bottle I enjoy to be fickle.  One pour, spectacular.  The next, just meh.  Usually, not the same night though.

• I like it 1

Long day of yard work in between storms.  Actually, weather held off long enough for a run to grab an Egg McMuffin for breakfast, Costco, Rural King, flower shop at Walmart, and then home to cut grass, plant 3 trees, move two bushes, run to Arby's for a quick sandwich, and assemble two large steel raised garden beds.   I spelled out my daily activities which are of no interest to anyone reading them in this post because they tie in to what I am drinking.  

Nine distinct tasks = a pour of KC9.  Oh crap, I also cut up bully sticks for the dogs.  Oh well, I guess I need to double down with another pour.  😀

• I like it 5

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

From the, “I never gave much hope that I would like this when I bought it, but dang I do” category, it’s Longbranch this afternoon.  Nice drink as I sit out smelling the pork butt cooking away on the WSM.  

96DCFB22-6766-421E-B272-0BA790D86D08.jpeg

My sentiments exactly.

The lower proof made me leary, but I'll be damned if it isn't really good.

Sipping on RY10 after getting back from watching The Texas Rangers with my Brother. Life  is good. 

Cheers 

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

From the, “I never gave much hope that I would like this when I bought it, but dang I do” category, it’s Longbranch this afternoon.  Nice drink as I sit out smelling the pork butt cooking away on the WSM.  

Similarly, I vat a full bottle of that with 1/3 of a bottle of WTRB into a 1L empty, and enjoy "Longbreed" as my go to when grilling / smoking.

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I have gotten Flintstones from a couple of MGP bottles.  I almost drain-poured Hersch The Horizon due to the overpowering minerality.  I have two separate George Remus store picks that gave me mineral notes last time I tried them (they hadn't ever before). 

1 hour ago, IamMatt said:

I have gotten Flintstones from a couple of MGP bottles.  I almost drain-poured Hersch The Horizon due to the overpowering minerality.  I have two separate George Remus store picks that gave me mineral notes last time I tried them (they hadn't ever before). 

Guess it's not just me. I remember when the Old Scout craze seemed to be talked about here and I started to seek it out. They then started sourcing from TN so I pulled back. As soon as the IN juice started appearing here, I thought it time to try. Do you think they combined the end of one source with the beginning of a different or does this seem to just be the nature of the beast? i.e. still, water, grains etc.

2 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Guess it's not just me. I remember when the Old Scout craze seemed to be talked about here and I started to seek it out. They then started sourcing from TN so I pulled back. As soon as the IN juice started appearing here, I thought it time to try. Do you think they combined the end of one source with the beginning of a different or does this seem to just be the nature of the beast? i.e. still, water, grains etc.

If they were mixing straight bourbons from two different states, it would have to be labeled a blend of straight bourbons.

• I like it 3

Littlesmokinjoe and Mrssmokinjoe are all glittered up and off to the Taylor Swift concert, so I am King of the house for at least this one night. 🥸 Fixin’ to grill up a salmon, with an accompaniment of the King of Whiskey.  

54A6A96A-F023-450B-B5E2-63ACE9A0AF06.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 10

Broken palate, yesterday so I thought I would give it another shot today while pork tenderloin, taters & brussels sprouts crowded the grill...

Everything a-ok today!!!

Started with a George Remus; lovely.

Next a pour from the infinity bottle; exceptional much to my surprise.

Lastly, I though I needed to get a taste of Kentucky, so I went to my dusty, 90's WT101. The nose gave me the WT funk that I have avoided in the past, so adamantly. Barring the nose, the palate was just what I was looking for with pronounced caramel & cinnamon. Boy was this excellent!!!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Littlesmokinjoe and Mrssmokinjoe are all glittered up and off to the Taylor Swift concert, so I am King of the house for at least this one night. 🥸 Fixin’ to grill up a salmon, with an accompaniment of the King of Whiskey.  

When you said you were the King of the house (for one night) I couldn't help but think of The Man Song.

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

When you said you were the King of the house (for one night) I couldn't help but think of The Man Song.

Heehee!  That’s good!  Is that the Indy radio guys you posted from?  

Dunno where the video is from; I came across the song on YouTube many years ago.

20 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Pikesville rye in the glass

20230429_234540.jpg

A balanced rye in the glass and a balanced cigar on the ashtray. 

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

54A6A96A-F023-450B-B5E2-63ACE9A0AF06.jpeg

Waiter (Pee Wee Herman) - "We have a Dom Perignon '71 at $170."

Jake Blues (John Belushi) - "That'll be fine."

Sommelier to Elwood Blues *Dan Ackroyd) - "Ahh, sir!  Wrong glass!"    😂

They don't (can't) make great movies like The Blues Brother or Blazing Saddles anymore!!!!   🤬

JMHO . . . . . . .

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 5

13 hours ago, IamMatt said:

This link is from the Bob and Tom show.  They are based out of Indianapolis by Fort Ben State Park.  Funny show back in the day:}

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, VWIndy said:

This link is from the Bob and Tom show.  They are based out of Indianapolis by Fort Ben State Park.  Funny show back in the day:}

Aha!  That’s them.  The Bob and Tom Show.  I pretty much missed them, as I had moved back to Atlanta after graduation from Ball State in 1985.  But for my buddies, it was must listen to radio for years.  

• I like it 1

It sounded like their show though I didn't hear their voices in this clip (speaking, anyway).  I never listened to the show but have heard  lot of their funny and irreverent content over the years thanks to this new-fangled internet.  Rodney Carrington, John Wing, Asylum Street Spankers, etc.

Sorry for leading the thread so far afield.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Aha!  That’s them.  The Bob and Tom Show.  I pretty much missed them, as I had moved back to Atlanta after graduation from Ball State in 1985.  But for my buddies, it was must listen to radio for years.  

Indeed, they are still on the air.  Some of their humor has changed since back then, but still a lot of bathroom talk.  🤡🙊🤪

Indulging in a little KC SiB that was barrelled on my 58th birthday. 

KC.jpg

• I like it 7