What Bourbon Are You Drinking Spring 2023

PaulO

Jack Daniel’s Bonded this afternoon.  Turning out to be one of my favorite whiskies in my recent rotation.  So much si, that the time from “what did you purchase” to “empty bottle support” has been pretty short on these… LOL!

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s the same as my 2021 Blend Frank. Equal parts Weller SR, Weller 12 and OWA. The only difference is the OWA is an old, age stated, paper label bottle rather than a current one. 

Did the paper label OWA have any noticeable affects on the blend? Perhaps a sbs is in order at some point.

Don’t leave us hanging man!

Edited by mal00768

20 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Did the paper label OWA have any noticeable affects on the blend? Perhaps a sbs is in order at some point.

Don’t leave us hanging man!

Sadly, my 2021 Blend is gone, so no sbs. Near as I can tell from memory, they are about the same. 

• I like it 1

I started with the Bardstown Bourbon Company Origin Series BiB (that’s a mouth full!) this evening. Very nice wheater for the age and price point.

It has the caramel sweetness of a wheater on the nose and palate. And that transitions into an almost chocolate note, which I also find in better instances of OWA. There were hints of ethanol and astringency on the finish, but relatively minor. I would definitely recommend this one.

It also brought to mind my experience with the Willett 8 year batched wheater (108 proof). BT’s wheated bourbons and Willett’s bourbons both have a cinnamon/red hots thing going on, so they also had some similarities. But the overall experience of the Willett was still not as good as the BBC Origin BiB and it was around five times the price at MSRP.

Just to add another data point, I poured my group’s Wilderness Trail wheated bourbon. It is 4 years and 9 months old and weighs in at a 113.2 barrel proof. It has some lactone notes on the nose, which I assume comes from the yeast (FP1 strain). And despite less than 5 years in the barrel, this has some good wood spice notes on the palate. A silky mouth feel gives way to a medium long finish and a touch of spreading warmth.

In summary, there should be some good wheated bourbons in our futures!

• I like it 5

18 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sadly, my 2021 Blend is gone, so no sbs. Near as I can tell from memory, they are about the same. 

I'll put together some samples of both the 2021 and 2023 (WSR:W12:OWA paper label) Weller Blends and send them out.   🤩

• I like it 2

46 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

I'll put together some samples of both the 2021 and 2023 (WSR:W12:OWA paper label) Weller Blends and send them out.   🤩

Ya’ really don’t have to do that Frank. 

• I like it 1

This Dickel Barrel select is full of cream soda notes, with Goetze’s Caramel Cream undertones.  Little to no, vitamin.  Not that I’m happy about that, as I enjoy the vitamin minerally-ness.  Regardless, a very enjoyable medium proof pour, today.  

66FD6629-DC44-49FE-9DF0-0F1543638C81.jpeg

• I like it 6

Not something I've had much of. Still making my mind up on it.  I like their barrel proof rye a lot, no indecision there.

Michter Regular.jpg

• I like it 4

Currently having a very, very small pour from barrel #8463, aka the "Liver Bruiser," which is an almost 17 year old barrel Barton's that I have among my Jos. Magnus Cigar Blend Bourbon stock. This barrel, which is currently 76.1% or 152.2 proof, is the highest proof barrel I have ever found in my professional life. It has gone up in proof from 150.42 to 152.2 proof in the course of several months from mid-January to mid-April, which is really astounding.

I've currently got it tucked away, and have plans to use it for something special in the future, the higher powers at Magnus willing. 

Although it is super delicious and dare I say "smooth," it hurts my liver to drink it. 

Cheers!

Nancy

39102AFC-C189-461C-84CC-EE2A1B61E531.jpeg

• I like it 15

5 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Currently having a very, very small pour from barrel #8463, aka the "Liver Bruiser," which is an almost 17 year old barrel Barton's that I have among my Jos. Magnus Cigar Blend Bourbon stock. This barrel, which is currently 76.1% or 152.2 proof, is the highest proof barrel I have ever found in my professional life. It has gone up in proof from 150.42 to 152.2 proof in the course of several months from mid-January to mid-April, which is really astounding.

I've currently got it tucked away, and have plans to use it for something special in the future, the higher powers at Magnus willing. 

Although it is super delicious and dare I say "smooth," it hurts my liver to drink it. 

Cheers!

Nancy

39102AFC-C189-461C-84CC-EE2A1B61E531.jpeg

Tremendous colour as well! 

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Not something I've had much of. Still making my mind up on it.  I like their barrel proof rye a lot, no indecision there.

Michter Regular.jpg

IMO it is OK but nothing more than that. I like the sour mash and the American whiskey a bit more. And indeed, the BP rye is excellent!

• I like it 2

On 4/18/2023 at 10:09 PM, Anwalt said:

This is sooooo Faster Horses fault.  This one has well & truly grown on me.

RRR6.jpg

Means it is about time I open mine! Will try it soon!

• I like it 3

Teaching a class tomorrow.  Being nice to me.  Better than Stuart Smalley approach.

SFTB 125.jpg

• I like it 6

Some ETL on the deck.  A beautiful afternoon but the button is supposed to drop out tonight.  Oh well, carpe diem!

• I like it 5

Guess most of you can get this at almost every street corner, but over here in the Netherlands it is a pain to get. Finally found me an Evan Williams 1783, and opened it. Quite enjoyable as some folks here on the SB forum already mentioned to me!

Image7.thumb.jpeg.ef7c7cbaf832de1e432da6443473b9cb.jpeg

Already know tomorrow's pours, have an evening scheduled with some friends that are in the metal genre, have a Slayer Reign in blood cabernet sauvignon to drink with some really impressive ribeye steaks that are currently in a bourbon marinade. Will finish off with Slipknot's nr 9 Iowa anniversary whiskey and the new Slipknot red cask. Will see that I think of them, it is more in the spirit of the evening:D

• I like it 5

Some after-dinner WTRB, still on the deck.  It is just too beautiful to sit inside.

• I like it 4

Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star. Someone posted a pic the other day, which inspired me to reach for a bottle not touched in a long while. I feel guilty for neglecting this for so long. Will have to make up for lost time.

Pat

20230419_220703.jpg

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Obree said:

Guess most of you can get this at almost every street corner, but over here in the Netherlands it is a pain to get. Finally found me an Evan Williams 1783, and opened it. Quite enjoyable as some folks here on the SB forum already mentioned to me!

Image7.thumb.jpeg.ef7c7cbaf832de1e432da6443473b9cb.jpeg

Already know tomorrow's pours, have an evening scheduled with some friends that are in the metal genre, have a Slayer Reign in blood cabernet sauvignon to drink with some really impressive ribeye steaks that are currently in a bourbon marinade. Will finish off with Slipknot's nr 9 Iowa anniversary whiskey and the new Slipknot red cask. Will see that I think of them, it is more in the spirit of the evening:D

You had me at bourbon but then you had to go and add ribeyes and Slipknot.  Big Corey Taylor fan.  Slayer, uh...  Hopefully, you will be blasting their music while hitting their whiskey.  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

Some after-dinner WTRB, still on the deck.  It is just too beautiful to sit inside.

I had to sit inside at work until 8:30.  A little longer day than I originally thought.  That's ok.  Had pizza for dinner and a pour of WTR101.  I think I will follow up with a small pour of FRSiB.  Just because I deserve it.  😀

• I like it 5

Well, I do get to work outside.  Every day, in fact. But I still think I deserve a little something special once in a while, so OF 1920 it is.

• I like it 3

The wife is hosting book club tonight so I am hunkered down in the home office, separated from the main supply in the dining room.  Fortunately I have a dozen-plus bottles ensconced in a cabinet here.....   I poured a glen of Coopers' Craft Reserve 100 and nosed a glass of maple syrup poured from an oak cask.  Kept nosing and the maple syrup was poured over pound cake.  Then someone added vanilla frosting.   Not sure I even needed to drink it!  But I did.

Office Cab.jpg

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

You had me at bourbon but then you had to go and add ribeyes and Slipknot.  Big Corey Taylor fan.  Slayer, uh...  Hopefully, you will be blasting their music while hitting their whiskey.  

Will certainly do so! BTW, the Slayer drink is the wine, only the Slipknot is whiskey!

• I like it 1