What Bourbon Are You Drinking Spring 2023

PaulO

I went back to the Green River for a second try. By no means is this bad. It's just meh. A little sweetness, and that sweetness is nondescript.  Like somebody took a decent low/middle shelf bourbon and added a few sugar cubes to it. A little warmth.  I don't get anything else from this. To my palate, there's nothing at all complex or memorable about it. I want a little smoke, or oak, or leather. Something dusty, perhaps, to counter the sugar-sweetness. There's no rye spice to slap me in the face and say, "Listen, b#tch, yer drinking whiskey here!"

I don't mean to disparage (and I certainly will finish the bottle), but I guess we'll just have to call this one boring. 

• I like it 2

Benchmark Full Proof on the front patio listening to the post game show on the radio after an enjoyable night of baseball at the Park.  Score didn’t end up on the good side for me, but some country music dude named Chase Rice who was playing at the Roxy in The Battery next to the Park brought a legion of Daisy Duke shorts, Cowboy boots, and cowboy hat wearing fans, that the pregame made the evening a win!  LOL!!

9BEEFBAB-6C9F-406D-B550-27FC42D212EF.jpeg

24E74DC2-25CF-492E-860E-62031599348B.jpeg

• I like it 3

The 4th and final rung this evening. :D For those with a good eye, yes there’s another Weller visible on my open shelf. That was a retirement gift a year and a half ago from an esteemed member here. I’ve been nursing it ever since I opened it. Only a pour or two left. Plans are to drink it on September 1st, the 2nd anniversary of my retirement. IMG_1861.thumb.jpeg.e60b7b0a730fcc22b7fcf516edc42750.jpegIMG_1866.thumb.jpeg.a9f40b5f34e7c9c3e6c394dc3b33568e.jpeg

• I like it 7

16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Good call on the big cube with the OF BP.   That's a beast that needs taming with a big ice cube or some water.

I agree.

It evolved nicely.

• I like it 1

GW4G from the fridge with a dinner of cedar-planked salmon from the bbq, baked potato and stir-fried green beans.  1st one went down way too easy during cooking - I think I'll have another!   :wub:

GW4G salmon.jpg

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 7

My baseball game watching pour tonight.  Beam is my baseball bourbon, whether it's this, Old Tub, Distiller's Cut, or a different one, something about Beam goes well with baseball ⚾🥃

20230422_180125.thumb.jpg.1cea60687dc8ffc763e75473fc4f0b7e.jpg

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 9

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Benchmark Full Proof on the front patio listening to the post game show on the radio after an enjoyable night of baseball at the Park.  Score didn’t end up on the good side for me, but some country music dude named Chase Rice who was playing at the Roxy in The Battery next to the Park brought a legion of Daisy Duke shorts, Cowboy boots, and cowboy hat wearing fans, that the pregame made the evening a win!  LOL!!

9BEEFBAB-6C9F-406D-B550-27FC42D212EF.jpeg

24E74DC2-25CF-492E-860E-62031599348B.jpeg

Great view of the field.  That is a really awesome glass!

• I like it 2

Saturday. Started with a HH BiB, went to New Riff and from there Col EHT !! YUM

• I like it 3

On 4/19/2023 at 7:40 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Currently having a very, very small pour from barrel #8463, aka the "Liver Bruiser," which is an almost 17 year old barrel Barton's that I have among my Jos. Magnus Cigar Blend Bourbon stock. This barrel, which is currently 76.1% or 152.2 proof, is the highest proof barrel I have ever found in my professional life. It has gone up in proof from 150.42 to 152.2 proof in the course of several months from mid-January to mid-April, which is really astounding.

I've currently got it tucked away, and have plans to use it for something special in the future, the higher powers at Magnus willing. 

Although it is super delicious and dare I say "smooth," it hurts my liver to drink it. 

Cheers!

Nancy

39102AFC-C189-461C-84CC-EE2A1B61E531.jpeg

Hmmmmm........may need to do another private barrel with you!:D

• I like it 1

Not one to waste time or a good neck pour, I opened a newly purchased bottle of Chattanooga 111.  As mentioned in my post on the Rye 99 whiskey it’s a good thing the bottle has a long, thick neck which made for a reasonably decent neck pour. 

The appearance in the glass was a nice rich amber with nice legs clinging on the inside of the glass when I gave it a swirl.  Maybe not as thick of legs as with the Rye. 

The nose has a faint hint of caramel and honey. The palate was a little hot on entry which stayed for quite a while.  That was cool by me as the heat wasn’t overpowering and didn’t diminish the flavors. I picked up honey, caramel, and toffee.  It would make you think it was sweet, but the proof and spice balanced it out.  You get an initial hit of sweet then some heat. Not the flavor but the experience reminded me of a sweet heat honey barbeque sauce.  I enjoyed it.  It was also creamy yet had a nice chewy mouthfeel.  Like the rye, the finish was the star of the pour.  Lingering and spicy with a hint of white pepper. 

I am not averse to younger whiskey if it has attributes I enjoy in a whiskey.  The palate and finish are excellent for a whiskey that probably isn’t much older than 2 years. The proof helps balance out the profile. Lower and it would have probably been less enjoyable, especially at the finish.  Higher and it would probably been a hot mess on the palate.  I feel like this pour compares very favorably to 5-year-old MGP at a similar proof. 

An enjoyable pour.  I feel like going back for another, but I will set aside for another time and opt for something more standard.

Initial reaction is I really like this one. 

xx (1).jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 3

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am not averse to younger whiskey if it has attributes I enjoy in a whiskey. 

Agreed.  This 100% Jimmy Red corn bourbon is delicious, IMO, and only a little more than three years old, according to Seelbach's (the bottle carries a 2 yr age statement).  Lots of buttered creamed corn and baked apple.  I just wish it wasn't $100... 

jimmy red seelbachs 2.jpg

• I like it 3

JBDC in the glass tonight.  It is really a shame that this is out of their production line now.

• I like it 5

On 4/22/2023 at 7:10 PM, Kepler said:

My baseball game watching pour tonight.  Beam is my baseball bourbon, whether it's this, Old Tub, Distiller's Cut, or a different one, something about Beam goes well with baseball ⚾🥃

It's the peanuts...

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, markandrex said:

JBDC in the glass tonight.  It is really a shame that this is out of their production line now.

Did they stop making that? 

On 4/23/2023 at 1:10 AM, Kepler said:

And another one they stopped making.

3 hours ago, Obree said:

Did they stop making that? 

I believe Beam released Distiller's Cut around 2017.  (Year is on the side of the label.)  I never saw another batch after that, only older inventory appearing later here and there as it does.  I had to assume it was one of those one off brands from Beam.  :(

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, PaulO said:

I believe Beam released Distiller's Cut around 2017.  (Year is on the side of the label.)  I never saw another batch after that, only older inventory appearing later here and there as it does.  I had to assume it was one of those one off brands from Beam.  :(

It's been gone for quite a while.  It's a shame because it was a really good expression at a great price.  So much better than Old Tub, IMO. 

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

It's been gone for quite a while.  It's a shame because it was a really good expression at a great price.  So much better than Old Tub, IMO. 

Thanks, learning every day!

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

Agreed and I never did understand why they quit making it...

• I like it 1

Started with 'The Hill'; Murray Hill. (James Bond voiceover)

Now, Larceny BP-B522...

I don't know that I should like the Larceny BP, because of the mixed reviews, but I had another release over the weekend, provided by my DIL and I reaaaaaally dig this...

Edited by bayouredd

17 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Started with 'The Hill'; Murray Hill. (James Bond voiceover)

Now, Larceny BP-B522...

I don't know that I should like the Larceny BP, because of the mixed reviews, but I had another release over the weekend, provided by my DIL and I reaaaaaally dig this...

While I like the standard Larceny, I really love the BP version.  Really elevated in all categories over the standard bottling.

• I like it 1