What Bourbon Are you Drinking Summer 2023?

mbroo5880i

Having a pour of Smoke Wagon SmB, and honestly this seems like one of the worst bourbons I've ever had.  I'm not much of a rye fan, but I do enjoy my WTRB Rye, so I really don't get this.  Even mixing it into an old fashioned couldn't cut down that harsh bite enough to enjoy it.  Maybe I just got a bad bottle, but I'm not sure what to even do with it now.

50 minutes ago, Cibsie said:

Having a pour of Smoke Wagon SmB, and honestly this seems like one of the worst bourbons I've ever had.  I'm not much of a rye fan, but I do enjoy my WTRB Rye, so I really don't get this.  Even mixing it into an old fashioned couldn't cut down that harsh bite enough to enjoy it.  Maybe I just got a bad bottle, but I'm not sure what to even do with it now.

Sorry but you lost me.  What does Smoke Wagon SmB bourbon have to do with Wild Turkey RB Rye?

Edited by Kepler

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Sorry but you lost me.  What does Smoke Wagon SmB bourbon have to do with Wild Turkey RB Rye?

I tried researching the Smoke Wagon and everything said how high rye of a mashbill it had.  Anything to explain it, but I could be ignorant here since I don't know much about SW.

9 minutes ago, Cibsie said:

I tried researching the Smoke Wagon and everything said how high rye of a mashbill it had.  Anything to explain it, but I could be ignorant here since I don't know much about SW.

Ahh ok now I understand where you were going with that.  True that MGP (the maker of SW bourbon) uses a very high rye content in their mashbills.  Taste-wise MGP has no more similarities to WTRB rye (or any other 51% Kentucky rye for that matter) than any other bourbon would if you ask me.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

Having a nice pour of WT101.  Been coming back to this alot lately.

• I like it 2

On 6/29/2023 at 7:33 PM, smokinjoe said:

OF Statesman here, after 9 hours of driving wrapped around a call on a great customer that went pretty well.  I had to use some statesmanship, to work through a couple of delicate and minor friction points that I wanted to clean up to everyone’s satisfaction.  Still some work to  do, but it’ll get done.  Not quite U Thant work here, but I just sell plastic…🤣🤣

Plastic's good.  We have plastic sheets over our window wells to keep the rain from running down the walls and into the finished basement.  Sheets have been there at least 20 years without yellowing, splitting, sagging or clouding up.  I sure wish some bourbon "bottles" I've purchased for traveling held up as well.

My point?  The plastics place I went to had some SUPER salespeople.  I told them what I THOUGHT I needed, and they asked a bunch of questions.  Steered me to a SLIGHTLY more expensive per square foot sheeting.  Amortized over 20 plus years, they saved me at least three times the cost in replacement sheeting.  AND, my basement stayed DRY.  Take a bow, SIR.👍  Your clients should recognize your expertise.

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Ahh ok now I understand where you were going with that.  True that MGP (the maker of SW bourbon) uses a very high rye content in their mashbills.  Taste-wise MGP has no more similarities to WTRB rye (or any other 51% Kentucky rye for that matter) than any other bourbon would if you ask me.

Appreciate the insight on this.  Looking into it, I have enjoyed several other MGP bourbons in the past, even those with a higher rye mashbill.  Maybe next time I see SW at a bar I'll have to get a pour to see if my bottle was just improperly stored or something since I've never tasted anything quite like this.

• I like it 2

On 6/28/2023 at 8:19 PM, JCwhammie said:

A good buddy of mine gave me this sample well over a year ago. It's EC12 bottled in the 1986 (which I believe is one of the first years for EC12.

This is magical. The complexity, for a 94 prooofer, is astounding. 

The color is a little darker than how it looks in the photo. This is only the 2nd pour of prefire heaven hill I've ever had. The other was 15yr Virgin Bourbon 101 from the early to mid 90s. Both are incredible. 

IMG_4056.jpeg

Nice!  Look at the rich color!  Good size pour too!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Cibsie said:

If I find a bourbon to be out of my wheelhouse, I find adding 100 proof rye like Ritt BIB makes it more palatable.  

• I like it 1

Drinking New Riff.  Picked up a couple of bottles so I popped one open.  Nothing exotic but enjoyable.

• I like it 1

I’m reminded in another thread, that WHH has not seen daylight in awhile.  So tonight is some WHH16, wow, that’s bourbon!

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 3

Sipp’n on MMCS, one of my faves, that I can always find on the shelf. I finished several bottles, a few different batches and I’ve never had a bad bottle. A side benefit, in my market, it retails for roughly 2/3 of what I used to pay. 

Cheers 

• I like it 2

Felt like some MGP bourbon.  Starting off with the regular Stellum bourbon.  This is a solid bottle.

This past month or so, it has been heavily EC BP for me. I was bouncing between C921, C922 , A123, and now B523. C921 is now gone, and I have turned my next door neighbor into an EC BP true believer. I think B523 is excellent, even though it is the first to break the 12 year rule. First 2 releases of '23 have been great in my opinion, keep 'em coming!

• I like it 2

Hey y’all I’m new to the forum and new to the whiskey game, looking forward to learning more abt it. I tried a pour of the weller 12 last night and I did not like it at all.  Give me some redwood empire or even the McKenna 10 over it all day

A good buddy of mine is in town, so we opened up some special bottles last night. Both are wonderful, but that RR13 is SPECIAL. 

IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_7383.jpeg

• I like it 8

Starting early, going to start grilling, having a Calumet 10. So smooth. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mitch2c said:

Hey y’all I’m new to the forum and new to the whiskey game, looking forward to learning more abt it. I tried a pour of the weller 12 last night and I did not like it at all.  Give me some redwood empire or even the McKenna 10 over it all day

Welcome aboard, Mitch.  I have had issues with the sootiness notes in Weller 12 over the years.  Some have this more than others.  One of the last ones I had seemed  much better, but it has been inconsistent. I much prefer OWA from the Weller family.  

While not both 'Bourbons', I had two pours yesterday (my first since being warned off drinking after abdominal surgery... Yay!).   First I poured a generous dram from an old 'jug' of Old Fitz BIB, only because I have not poured that one in at least a year.   I enjoyed it quite well, for what it is/was.   A fairly straightforward wheater, and it demonstrated again that the nose on so many of 'em, to me at any rate, is very satisfying.    Then the tasting reminded me that it will never be an 'award-winner'; but, is still a nice pour and well worth the cheddar it (used to) cost.    I decided to contrast that wheater with a straight rye.   I had the BBC Origins at hand, so I poured that.    These two are worlds apart!   Yet both are quite nice pours for their own reasons.   

I took the last 1/2-ounce of the rye and added 1/2-ounce of that Old Fitz BIB to it, on a whim.    It wasn't awful.   But, it also wasn't quite as interesting as I hoped.   Oh, well.   Still drinkable, just not as dynamic as I thought it might be.

Maybe a lesson for myself here?  Enjoy your drams for what they are, and how they may tickle your 'old factory' and taste buddies at any given time.  ...But, never mistake your skills as a blender for anything more than hit or (mostly) miss.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

First I poured a generous dram from an old 'jug' of Old Fitz BIB

Awesome.  I miss the old jug bottles (the one with the finger handles).  When you bought a 'handle' bottle you actually had a handle!

• I like it 1

Scored two Booker's 2021-01 at an auction and opened one tonight. Not your typical Booker's, it seems, but nice! Less nutty than expected.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

OGD BiB with some ginger ale.  Refreshing.

THIS Makes the very best 'highball'.   Good on ya'!

• I like it 3