What Bourbon Are you Drinking Summer 2023?

mbroo5880i

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I was underwhelmed by the Coopers' when it first came out.  

Now I'm reading where the current iteration is very good.   I'll have to get one and find out for myself.

Make sure it’s the 100 proof version!  

• I like it 1

Old Soul SB High Rye; very possibly the most complex, tasty 90 proofer I've tried. Not 105 and above complex but better than most under 100 & several BiBs

Color - light amber - not very impressive

Nose - once you get past the 'Fumes' - apples & vanilla

Palate - dark fruit morphing to apple, changing to bitter oak giving way to dark chocolate - (distinctive changes)

Finish - not long but pleasing

End of day starter is an old Georgia only EW BIB from back in the day.  Green label with the log cabin thingee.  Georgia released for the owner of the local HH distributor back then, or something like that, as I heard.  

84E3E466-1C19-49AC-BB6F-EE76201A3FD2.jpeg

• I like it 10

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I was underwhelmed by the Coopers' when it first came out.  

Now I'm reading where the current iteration is very good.   I'll have to get one and find out for myself.

I had some "Original" @ 82.2 proof back when it first came out and decided not to drink it ever again.  THEN, a relative gave me a 750 of the Barrel Reserve 100 proof.  I was pleasantly surprised and also wondered how it could be related to the 82.2.  It had to be more than the additional proof.  Whatever.  It did not strike me as a craft spirit like the "Original" did.

• I like it 1

Chattanooga 111 in my glass while watching some pre-game baseball.  I'm a big fan of this Chattanooga 111.  It's a really nice craft whiskey.

Working on a McK10 that was heavily damaged on the 4th with some assistance from neighbors.

• I like it 2

Well, 5 weeks of travel - cruise from FL to Lisbon. Lisbon to Madrid.

Met family separated by Spanish Civil War and reunited on Facebook near Burgos in wine country - they gave us an epic greeting.  The tunnels everywhere for storing wine were mind-boggling. Saw my first Roman ruins, that's been a major to-do item. Private family vineyards near Aranda del Duero. Made it up to Bordeaux for a week, spectacular.

Then spent 4 days sick as a dog in a Paris hotel room, almost certainly food poisoning. Meh, First World Problem.

No bourbon. Lots of wine and a little beer.

Back in PR. Had a Hardin's Creek 15y to celebrate.

• I like it 11

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Make sure it’s the 100 proof version!  

Will do.

Thanks!

• I like it 1

Finished a bottle New Riff, WT101, followed by a pour of Rock Town and Dickel BIB.  Short week has been busy and we are puppy sitting for my son and future DIL.  I am a good GPaw.  Old Dog (puppy) cried when I left for work, slept all day, and then wouldn't leave my side when I got home.

We hit him and his sister up with Hemp dog chews about an hour ago.  Both are out like a light. 😃

image000000.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 11

WT101 tasting very nice tonight.  Plan on following up with some Dant.

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Finished a bottle New Riff, WT101, followed by a pour of Rock Town and Dickel BIB.  Short week has been busy and we are puppy sitting for my son and future DIL.  I am a good GPaw.  Old Dog (puppy) cried when I left for work, slept all day, and then wouldn't leave my side when I got home.

We hit him and his sister up with Hemp dog chews about an hour ago.  Both are out like a light. 😃

image000000.jpg

What Rock Town was that? A SiB Cask Strength by any chance? How was it?

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Lemme hold one of dem hemp dog chews!!! 🤪

Never heard of that but I'll be looking that one up...

12 hours ago, markandrex said:

Working on a McK10 that was heavily damaged on the 4th with some assistance from neighbors.

may as well put it down then and not make it suffer!

• I like it 2

Today, I picked up the Old Charter No. 8 and a 4R OESV selected by a local.  Totally serious, I’m digging the OC better right now with first pours from each.  Maybe, it’s an expectation thing.  Maybe, it’s just the $75 difference between the two…🙃. Regardless, the OESV didn’t wow me.  It should have.  But, I’ll certainly give it additional tries.  That OC is going right into my freezer, as I think it will shine nicely for the Summer.  $13 we’ll spent.  

55A8C2DA-8392-4F20-B6AD-680581BEB122.jpeg

• I like it 5

Canadian rye. This stuff is pretty darn good. Reddit has exploded with positive reviews of this batch over the past few months, so I decided to go pick one up. It’s pretty spendy at $150. Whether it’s worth the entry point is a matter of personal opinion. I have no regrets.

IMG_5774.jpeg

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, Obree said:

What Rock Town was that? A SiB Cask Strength by any chance? How was it?

It was a gift.  I really liked it. 

image000000.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

12 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Lemme hold one of dem hemp dog chews!!! 🤪

Never heard of that but I'll be looking that one up...

image000000 (1).jpg

• I like it 2

Finished the bottle of Rock Town.  Smallish pour (1 oz.).  Followed by a pour of Dickel 13 Year BIB (2008).  Some nights the Dickel is meh, other nights it is really solid.  Tonight it is solid.  

Grandpups are here for two more nights so we have four dogs right now. The groomer came to the house and groomed three of them today. I just saw the bill. I believe I need another pour. 😃

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

image000000 (1).jpg

I bet it's the melatonin that knocks the dogs out, not the hemp seed.  

8 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

It was a gift.  I really liked it. 

image000000.jpg

Nice! I have a bottle that I still need to open, will try soon!

• I like it 1

This is  one of my favorite "sub-100 proof" pours.  It's a shame that it's so pricey. 

20230708_194208.jpg

• I like it 3

I made a pitcher of JBDC sours tonight for the wife and I this evening.

• I like it 2

The Eagle landed this evening. ER in the glass.  🦅🥃

• I like it 4