What Bourbon Are you Drinking Summer 2023?

mbroo5880i

OF86 out of the freezer IN my OF rocks glass ALSO out of the freezer. This is bliss.

• I like it 6

17 minutes ago, flahute said:

OF86 out of the freezer IN my OF rocks glass ALSO out of the freezer. This is bliss.

Double dipping on the freezer take!  Awesome!  

• I like it 1

I'm having a nice dram of regular MM.  It goes well with thunderstorms and humidity.

• I like it 2

Good ol' standard MM, especially since it's been on sale a lot lately. The bottle I'm quaffing out of now was 17.99 at HyVee in Fitchburg! I should grab another one or two. I can't find BT or ER anywhere on the shelves, but three bars within walking distance of my house have plenty of it. I don't get it...stupid allocation shenanigans!

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Welcome aboard, Mitch.  I have had issues with the sootiness notes in Weller 12 over the years.  Some have this more than others.  One of the last ones I had seemed  much better, but it has been inconsistent. I much prefer OWA from the Weller family.  

Thanks for the welcome. And yeah sootiness is such a good word for it. Will have to keep my eyes out for the OWA. Doubt I’ll get a bottle, but just a pour would be great 

• I like it 1

I had another freezer pour of HH 6yr after cutting the grass.  Now we are heading out for steaks at a friends house.  Well maybe one more for the road (wife is driving)!  

• I like it 7

Went with the Remus SiB...

Good - but not good enough to add a second bottle...

• I like it 1

OH!  This is the "What bourbon are you drinking?" thread.  Obviously, I m drinking it.

Saturday was a FULL day of yard work in 85-90 degree weather.  Thanks to Canada, most of it was under a hazy sky.  We are at our vacation place on Lake Anna, Virginia, and Saturday night is FIREWORKS night.  Once a year, the local civic association shoots off a bunch over the lake.  We settled in between thunderstorm lines to go down to the dock and watch from afar (about a half mile across the water).  The bourbon?  Basic BT neat out of the fridge.  Its candy apple (caramel + fruit) sweetness hits the spot for me and is PERFECT for a fireworks display.  Tonight (Monday 3 July),  I switched back to OGD BIB; we had homemade chili, and I wanted something that would work as a dessert.B)

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, bayouredd said:

Went with the Remus SiB...

Good - but not good enough to add a second bottle...

Is this the one you posted in the other thread?  Better than beer?

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, mitch2c said:

Thanks for the welcome. And yeah sootiness is such a good word for it. Will have to keep my eyes out for the OWA. Doubt I’ll get a bottle, but just a pour would be great 

I second @smokinjoe on preferring OWA over WL12.  For the same reason.  Not that I would kick either out of bed.  I still prefer Weller over most wheaters.  I enjoy MM and MMCS.  Larceny not so much.

• I like it 4

34 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

OH!  This is the "What bourbon are you drinking?" thread.  Obviously, I m drinking it.

Saturday was a FULL day of yard work in 85-90 degree weather.  Thanks to Canada, most of it was under a hazy sky.  We are at our vacation place on Lake Anna, Virginia, and Saturday night is FIREWORKS night.  Once a year, the local civic association shoots off a bunch over the lake.  We settled in between thunderstorm lines to go down to the dock and watch from afar (about a half mile across the water).  The bourbon?  Basic BT neat out of the fridge.  Its candy apple (caramel + fruit) sweetness hits the spot for me and is PERFECT for a fireworks display.  Tonight (Monday 3 July),  I switched back to OGD BIB; we had homemade chili, and I wanted something that would work as a dessert.B)

Everything clicked for me until I saw you had chili.  Chili is fine.  But, on a smoking hot day after a full day of yard work?  Same bottle of BT you picked up the other day?

Edited by mbroo5880i

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

New Riff SiB before dinner

Wife made some great tacos for dinner.  Taco Monday?  Works for me.

Now sipping on some Chattanooga 111 while I watch a replay of this afternoon's Lone Star series finale (Astros vs Rangers).   Cheers 🥃⚾ 🤠 🌠

Edited by Kepler
finale not finals
  • I like it 4

Watching mindless YouTube bourbon hunting videos and enjoying the hell out of a large dram of good old fashioned Wild Turkey 101. 

• I like it 3

Having been spoiled for years with HH6yrBIB as my 'house fridge bourbon', I've had find alternatives.  Bought a handle of AAA 10 Star because 1) I'm a cheap bastard, and 2) many years ago I did a blind taste-off between the 10 star and the 10 year, and found that for my tastes it was close and I actually leaned more towards the 10 star (which if I recall was a couple proof points higher).  That's now in the fridge (in the HH6yrBIB bottle just because that fits so well) and had a pour of that last night.  Pretty good, and may have a permanent home there. 

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, GaryT said:

Having been spoiled for years with HH6yrBIB as my 'house fridge bourbon', I've had find alternatives.  Bought a handle of AAA 10 Star because 1) I'm a cheap bastard, and 2) many years ago I did a blind taste-off between the 10 star and the 10 year, and found that for my tastes it was close and I actually leaned more towards the 10 star (which if I recall was a couple proof points higher).  That's now in the fridge (in the HH6yrBIB bottle just because that fits so well) and had a pour of that last night.  Pretty good, and may have a permanent home there. 

I wish AAA 10 Star were available where I live.  But regular AA 80 proof is a pretty good freezer bourbon, IMO. 

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Everything clicked for me until I saw you had chili.  Chili is fine.  But, on a smoking hot day after a full day of yard work?  Same bottle of BT you picked up the other day?

Yup.  Same 750 (which I am sipping from now while watching Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra in "On the Town").  I'm saving the BT handle I got a couple weeks ago (at MSRP in Wash DC!) for an upcoming relatives visiting event.  [ASIDE - I sure hope it lasts until then as I have no will power.]

RE: the chili on a hot day.  FIRST, we have air conditioning so indoors year 'round is like living on the Equator at 3,000 feet - NO CHANGE IN TEMP.  {B} I was born in REALLY SoCal (just North of the border with Mexico) before A/C became a thing.  We learned to eat spicy food which made us feel cooler after the meal.  I don't understand it, but it is true and is why many tropical cultures have "hot" dishes as basic foods.  (III) we LIKE it.

Now, back to the movie - Gene just found "Ivy" the exotic dancer.  I have to watch to find out how this all turns out.🙄

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, GaryT said:

Bottom shelf is sometimes really good, particularly as the third or fourth pour OR as a nice change from the regular rotation.

Uh, "On the Town" is a REALLY SILLY MOVIE even whi8le sipping on bourbon.   Just saying . . .

EDIT -
New York New York, it's a wonderful town.  The Bronx is up, but the Battery's down . . ."

Ah memories of NYC on weekend leave.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 4

New Riff x 3.  Each pour with a cube of ice to chill.  Each pour very good. 

• I like it 1

Sitting out front with the final pour of the 4th, which is a 4RSmB.  Heavy and humid air is keeping the smoke hovering over after hours of fireworks.  I think I like this smell afterwards even more than the light show before.  

I love the smell of fireworks smoke in the late evening.  It smells like…victory.  😂

• I like it 5

I have a lot more work to do, but it’ll have to wait until tomorrow.  Going to start with Cooper’s Craft 100 proof over a big, clear, cube.  This bottle was yet another pickup of this whiskey.  Solidly in my rotation for several months, now.  

F2F9FBA6-C08B-4CDF-9636-87A720F08685.jpeg

• I like it 5

Meant to post this yesterday, but got distracted spending time with the kids and blowing stuff up outside. This was my salute to the Fourth of July. Happy Birthday America! Hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday! 

IMG_3537.jpg

• I like it 11

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I have a lot more work to do, but it’ll have to wait until tomorrow.  Going to start with Cooper’s Craft 100 proof over a big, clear, cube.  This bottle was yet another pickup of this whiskey.  Solidly in my rotation for several months, now.  

F2F9FBA6-C08B-4CDF-9636-87A720F08685.jpeg

I was underwhelmed by the Coopers' when it first came out.  

Now I'm reading where the current iteration is very good.   I'll have to get one and find out for myself.