What Bourbon Are you Drinking Summer 2023?

mbroo5880i

55 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Beer is a great palate cleanser, especially the basic American lagers (lawn mower beer).  The real hoppy stuff not so much.  That hop taste can stay with you some time.

I'd much rather have Schlitz compared to Bud Light or Miller Lite.

I've never heard of beer being used as a palate cleanser.  Coffee works well

28 minutes ago, Thomm said:

I live in Southeastern Wisconsin, nearby the home of Miller Brewing Company.  Although the corporate ownership now has almost nothing to do with Milwaukee anymore, the brand loyalty remains to a great degree. We tend to despise anything Anheuser Busch related, and (mostly because of a well deserved inferiority complex) can't stand the St Louis Cardinals.  

That being said, I cannot throw shade at Bud Light without also including what has become the local sacred cow, Miller Lite, in the conversation.  I am no longer much of a beer drinker, but if I indulge, the very minimum requirement I have is that no light, lite, light, lyte, or whatever other idiot iteration of the term that denotes watered-down dreck passes through my lips and into my tasting hole.  Therefore, Schlitz, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High Life, and the et al of domestic pilsners and lagers are all occasionally acceptable to me. 

That Lite garbage you can keep. 

And yes, I can see how the overly-hopped crafties would overwhelm the taste buds. I appreciate the bitter, but beer should not taste like grapefruit juice. 

Sorry for the rant. I just had to vent. Miller Lite.  F$&#+king stupid sheep.

A whole lot I agree with here.

Not to thread drift too much but Miller Lite is awful.  Tastes like seltzer water and metal.  🤢

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

I've never heard of beer being used as a palate cleanser.  Coffee works well

So do basic saltines and a glass or six of water.

WHAT BOURBON I DRINKING?  An already opened A. Smith Bowman port finished LE #4 in a series of LEs that was in my bunker and forgotten.  I was reminded that I owned at least one by an email I got from a local purveyor near some of the better convention hotels in WashDC which offered to sell me (and anybody else) an unopened bottle of LE #4 for $2500.00 plus tax.  I paid about $70 at the distillery the week it was released.

A couple years ago, I opened it and a couple other ASB LEs and sent some unsolicited tastes to some SBers.  This port LE is NOT like the current ASB Isaac Bowman port finish which is a poor (pour?) shadow of its earlier LE namesake.

Some other ASB LE's being offered by the store, opened versions of which I own -

Last Millenium #5 - $2500 (I paid $79, still have some)

Gingerbread #6 - $3000 (I paid $ 75, both bottles long gone)

Double Barrel #8 - $1700 (I paid $86, long gone)

Coffee finished #11 - $3000 (I paid $89, mostly because I liked the local coffee roaster who furnished the used coffee barrels, two bottles all gone)

I have NO regrets about opening and drinking these, and in spite of the obscene markups in the offering prices, I would not sell them (or any unopened duplicates on the secondary (and legitimate resale at least in WashDC) market.  HOWEVER!  I would not and have not hesitated to share them with folks I know will appreciate them.

The point of bourbon is to ENJOY!  You want to make a profit?  Get a job or MAKE something and sell it or play the stock market.

• I like it 5

Ordinarily I try to abstain on Sunday nights, but  I'm taking off work tomorrow for a golf tournament tomorrow so......Cheers!

Cue the @Kepler remarks on the background in 3..2...1..... 😅

20230716_204534(0).jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 6

Yesterday afternoon/evening while playing euchre with my daughter and SoniL, I made 'short-cut' Old Fashioned's (extra bitters, simple syrup instead of muddled sugar, no fruit...I'm lazy!) with last pours from a liter bottle of WT 101.   

I always love the profile of WT 101 for almost any cocktail.

• I like it 5

10 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Yesterday afternoon/evening while playing euchre with my daughter and SoniL, I made 'short-cut' Old Fashioned's (extra bitters, simple syrup instead of muddled sugar, no fruit...I'm lazy!) with last pours from a liter bottle of WT 101.   

WT 101 ksbw for everything but manhattans.  WT 101 ksRW for manhattans.  I do use bib ksbw sometimes from others and sometimes bib ksRW from others, but the WTs are the first choice.

EDIT - Oh yeah, what is up tonight.  Is hot so decided to put a couple ice cubes in some MM CS.  Didn’t bother to check the proof.  Is really creamy as I sip.  Wheated in Summer cannot be beat on hot days.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 6

11 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Nice!

Simple syrup is so much easier. Can't go wrong with WT101!

• I like it 3

Following Harry’s lead with some MM CS on the rocks.  Cheers!

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Nice!

Simple syrup is so much easier. Can't go wrong with WT101!

Yes! ^^^  And, sometimes I'll change it up with maple syrup or agave syrup.  But my current favorite is Buffalo Trace Old Fashioned Cocktail Syrup.  One tbs of that with 3 oz. bourbon over ice with Luxardo cherry garnish... Delicious! 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Yes! ^^^  And, sometimes I'll change it up with maple syrup or agave syrup.  But my current favorite is Buffalo Trace Old Fashioned Cocktail Syrup.  One tbs of that with 3 oz. bourbon over ice with Luxardo cherry garnish... Delicious! 

Yup! 

The only thing I change up is the whiskey.  It's usually rye, or a high-rye bourbon, like OGD BiB or 114

I've used agave in a pinch and that works great, but  I'm not big on sweet, like Mrs. Skinfan. 

I use a bar spoon of SS in my Old Fashioned, and a 1/2 oz in hers along with two Luxardo cherries and a couple bar spoons of the Luxardo syrup from the jar!

There is no substitute for Luxardo Cherries.     None.

• I like it 1

Starting the afternoon off a little early. Having a very nice pour of a recent classic..

Old Scout. 
IMG_5251.thumb.jpeg.223f5bbf51b5859c3b4222adc4b85b58.jpeg

And guess who…

IMG_5252.thumb.jpeg.45c0ee3ba86bf8e435a0a730d437f482.jpeg
And I finished off the bottle. 

• I like it 9

Scored 2-375 of the OF BiB 117 Series (9yr) that dropped today on their website so having a big pour of 1920 tonight.

• I like it 4

Well, had a few drinks after being gone for over a month. Then caught a bug, no more drinks, again. 

Back for some more. RR SiB seems like a nice traveling companion. Glad I stocked up back when they were $50. Now I'm sounding like you guys! Remember back when.....

RR SiB.jpg

• I like it 5

58 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Well, had a few drinks after being gone for over a month. Then caught a bug, no more drinks, again. 

Back for some more. RR SiB seems like a nice traveling companion. Glad I stocked up back when they were $50. Now I'm sounding like you guys! Remember back when.....

RR SiB.jpg

Nice Glencairn.  

• I like it 3

On 7/17/2023 at 7:52 PM, markandrex said:

Following Harry’s lead with some MM CS on the rocks.  Cheers!

Is up tonight, too.  It's the 112.8 proof from a couple years ago.  ROCKS rock.

Refilled the bourbon cocktail decanter with 4R YL.  Good news is - I didn't wait until the 750 decanter was empty.  What to do with the dregs left in the bottle . . .🙄  NIGHTCAP!B)

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, Anwalt said:

"Budget".

Watch out for higher proofs in those coffee cups. They melt the wax and can leak BAD. Ask me how I know!!

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Watch out for higher proofs in those coffee cups. They melt the wax and can leak BAD. Ask me how I know!!

Funny you should mention that. Filled that cup with water after the RR SiB. Had a respectable puddle in the morning. Doh!

• I like it 1

On 7/16/2023 at 7:51 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Ordinarily I try to abstain on Sunday nights, but  I'm taking off work tomorrow for a golf tournament tomorrow so......Cheers!

Cue the @Kepler remarks on the background in 3..2...1..... 😅

20230716_204534(0).jpg

Haha 😁.  But actually I'm not much of an NFL fan.  I follow college FB a lot more.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Haha 😁.  But actually I'm not much of an NFL fan.  I follow college FB a lot more.

I bleed burgundy and gold, but I love college football too.    I'm a big MD and Navy fan.

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I bleed burgundy and gold, but I love college football too.    I'm a big MD and Navy fan.

Oklahoma fan here.  Boomer Sooner and all that.

• I like it 2

44 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Chattanooga BiB and ginger ale to start off tonight's festivities. 🥃

I've been hearing more and more good things about Chattanooga.  A buddy of mine is nuts about the stuff.  I'll have to give it a try...