What bourbon did you purchase this Winter? (2023-2024)

markandrex

Since we have moved on in the season.  
While out with the wife picking up the final few things, I went back by the one store that said they would have something for me today.

Cask strength at 125.8.

IMG_1196.jpeg

• I like it 9

8 hours ago, markandrex said:

Since we have moved on in the season.  
While out with the wife picking up the final few things, I went back by the one store that said they would have something for me today.

Cask strength at 125.8.

IMG_1196.jpeg

A nice dessert after those spectacular cookies.  Who needs waissail? 😀

• I like it 2

20231225_195054.thumb.jpg.38aabc8aaacc60296f20bd9dd9d71dec.jpg.Not certain this counts as a purchase, but it was under the tree this morning. 

My wife won a pick at Main Street Liquors in Nashville. Msrp woo hoo!

• I like it 15

I was looking for a bottle for the tailgate, so I'm revisiting this one. It's been a few years;  I wasn't overly impressed the first time around, but have read that the latest releases have been pretty good. I figured for $35.00, why not?

20231229_182236.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I was looking for a bottle for the tailgate, so I'm revisiting this one. It's been a few years;  I wasn't overly impressed the first time around, but have read that the latest releases have been pretty good. I figured for $35.00, why not?

20231229_182236.jpg

Well don't leave us hanging! How is it?

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, flahute said:

I'll let ya know after I open it.😉

Got into the KC12 tonight and it's one of those "pour, drink, repeat" kind of nights 😅

• I like it 1

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'll let ya know after I open it.😉

Got into the KC12 tonight and it's one of those "pour, drink, repeat" kind of nights 😅

lol. I’m just being impatient. 

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

20231229_182236.jpg

I'm assuming it's all Willett's own distillate by now.  That should make it sort of interesting.  I remember when those KBD brands were all sourced.  I suspected that's where the cats and dogs that didn't make it as WFR ended up.  😐 

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I'm assuming it's all Willett's own distillate by now.  That should make it sort of interesting.  I remember when those KBD brands were all sourced.  I suspected that's where the cats and dogs that didn't make it as WFR ended up.  😐 

According to the label it's "Distilled, aged & bottled in Kentucky by Willett Distillery" so your suspicion is probably spot-on🫤   

That being said....for $35?   Even if I don't like it.....my buddies at the tailgate will drink it!

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, PaulO said:

It is and it's not bad. I was expecting to hate it.

• I like it 1

Larceny Barrel Proof.  I bought a bottle of the standard when it was first released and was not impressed.  The latest barrel proof release got raves and one became available though a few clicks so I bit.  

3 hours ago, berto said:

Larceny Barrel Proof.  I bought a bottle of the standard when it was first released and was not impressed.  The latest barrel proof release got raves and one became available though a few clicks so I bit.  

Oh do tell? Let me know what you think because like you I haven't liked it since the first release. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, flahute said:

It is and it's not bad. I was expecting to hate 

Yeah...finally tried it. It's not bad, but I won't miss it when it's gone. 

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

Didn't buy these... they were gifted to me at the tailgate today.

I never heard of the Dexter, (the neck tag screams"tater!"),. but our friend who gifted it is a bourbon girl who lives across from the New Riff distillery, near the Cincy/KY line. She  included it as part of a gift bag that was filled with some local snacks and food.  I'm definitely intrigued.

The MM101 is always welcome😄

20231231_164207.jpg

• I like it 1

On 12/29/2023 at 10:16 PM, flahute said:

It wasn't bad.

@PaulO was spot-on about this whiskey being the stuff that didn't make it into the "better" bottlings.

I fed it to fellow tailgaters who aren't big bourbon drinkers and they really seemed to like it.

I stuck to the Michter's and OF1920 that they were giving us cooks😁

• I like it 2

IMG_5218.thumb.jpeg.06832b3dbfb29202e847df6163911bb4.jpeg

Stopped in a store while out on an errand and found this. Had to buy a BT bourbon cream for $20. Not a fan of bundles but thats not a bad one. 

• I like it 6

5 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

IMG_5218.thumb.jpeg.06832b3dbfb29202e847df6163911bb4.jpeg

Stopped in a store while out on an errand and found this. Had to buy a BT bourbon cream for $20. Not a fan of bundles but thats not a bad one. 

I found out I probably just missed out on one of these. I chose the wrong store to stop at the other day. 😬

IMG_5129.jpeg.e045ce7540cc16a38b66222a335ecd60.jpeg

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

It wasn't bad.

@PaulO was spot-on about this whiskey being the stuff that didn't make it into the "better" bottlings.

I fed it to fellow tailgaters who aren't big bourbon drinkers and they really seemed to like it.

I stuck to the Michter's and OF1920 that they were giving us cooks😁

I think Paul was talking about the old days when it was all sourced and the best stuff went to WFE. Still probably true today but working with much less age than back then.

Question - did you get the red hot cinnamon? I did not when I tasted through the entire KBD lineup and that surprised me.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, flahute said:

Oh do tell? Let me know what you think because like you I haven't liked it since the first release. 

I’m in this boat as well. I bought and drank a bottle of the initial A120 release and was not impressed. Given my antipathy for most of HH’s wheated bourbon I moved on without further tastes, but friends with good palates say it has gotten much better (besides of course all of the online reviewers who I give very little mind to).

22 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I found out I probably just missed out on one of these. I chose the wrong store to stop at the other day. 😬

IMG_5129.jpeg.e045ce7540cc16a38b66222a335ecd60.jpeg

Do you need a refresher course Joe? Always go to all the stores this time of year. 

• I like it 3

32 minutes ago, flahute said:

I think Paul was talking about the old days when it was all sourced and the best stuff went to WFE. Still probably true today but working with much less age than back then.

Question - did you get the red hot cinnamon? I did not when I tasted through the entire KBD lineup and that surprised me.

Roger that.  

Homestly, I don't recall and didn't drink enough of it to tell. 

One of my bourbon buddies brought a bottle of  Michter's & OF 1920, another one brought AE, AE rye, Whistle Pig 12 year and some MM46.  I drank those instead😁

I'm one of the cooks so they take good care of me😉.

I have some left in the bottle and will need to revisit it. 

Scored this recently so it's also an easy pick for my new year's eve pour.  Cheers to 2024

20231231_225047.thumb.jpg.a62e4af813ee9d3e1242b570208f1b40.jpg

• I like it 12