What bourbon did you purchase this Winter? (2023-2024)

markandrex

Heavy weather heading our way. Exactly how bad it will be is up in the air depending on how this storm system tracks. We’re  stocked up okay, but just in case, we made a quick trip to the grocery store. Yes, I looked in the liquor department. A lone bottle of BT on the shelf called my name. I answered. 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_3408.thumb.jpeg.f80b8794bfd4e7544cb9c668cea928b1.jpeg

• I like it 4

It’s pretty nasty weather here. Still, we had to go out today. My wife had an optometrist appointment. We didn’t want to waste a trip, so we stopped at the grocery store to grab a couple more things just in case. To cut to the chase.  Liquor department? Yes. Purchase? Yes. Happy? Yes. 😃

IMG_3418.thumb.jpeg.950dd47676e25bf7ae9925da9118fd02.jpeg

• I like it 8

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s pretty nasty weather here. Still, we had to go out today. My wife had an optometrist appointment. We didn’t want to waste a trip, so we stopped at the grocery store to grab a couple more things just in case. To cut to the chase.  Liquor department? Yes. Purchase? Yes. Happy? Yes. 😃

Deleted the pic for bandwidth preservation (in spite of thinking bandwidth like entropy is really infinite).  Um, what is in the "Joe's HH BIB Blend"?

Edited by Harry in WashDC
"on" not "on" Joe's

9 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Deleted the pic for bandwidth preservation (in spite of thinking bandwidth like entropy is really infinite).  Um, what is in the "Joe's HH BIB Blend"?

EW BIB, JTS Brown BIB, and JW  Dant BIB. Easy Peasy. 😛

• I like it 3

Scored a ECBP C 922, love it. Wish I could find another C 923!!

• I like it 2

I thought yesterday's one-day-only Binny's coupon would inspire the Chicago mafia to get out, buy, and post!

Pic snagged from the interwebz 'cuz I'm lazy and the bottle is already down in the basement, but I grabbed my first Bardstown Origin BiB yesterday. Six-year 100-proof wheater for $40 (with coupon)? You don't have to ask me twice!

image.png.dcece310e4414c018dfc506ed8248dba.png

• I like it 10

Not a purchase but I was very kindly gifted a Redwood Empire Pipe Dream. I've had a couple small pours and its a nice, low key, mild but pleasant pour. No weird off notes so it will be in the rotation of, every so often when I just want a quick pour but nothing I intend to hold my attention times. I'd also include in recipes or cocktails, a general purpose bottle below the horsepower of my usual floor, the bottled in bonds.

I was particularly happy to see that its not "finished" as it seems almost anything I have not yet tried these days features some form of finishing, toasting....I've had several of those and don't mind em OCCASIONALLY, but for the most part I am finished with finishing, I just want a good/great bourbon or rye.

Edited by kcgumbohead
additional text
  • I like it 1

52 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

Couldn’t get it to post try again?

Wasn't crazy about last year's Act 10. I got to try Act 11 at a tasting and could have bought pretty much as many of them as I wanted but ended up passing. I hope it fits your palate and you enjoy it.

• I like it 1

On 1/17/2024 at 8:33 AM, kcgumbohead said:

Not a purchase but I was very kindly gifted a Redwood Empire Pipe Dream. I've had a couple small pours and its a nice, low key, mild but pleasant pour. No weird off notes so it will be in the rotation of, every so often when I just want a quick pour but nothing I intend to hold my attention times. I'd also include in recipes or cocktails, a general purpose bottle below the horsepower of my usual floor, the bottled in bonds.

I was particularly happy to see that its not "finished" as it seems almost anything I have not yet tried these days features some form of finishing, toasting....I've had several of those and don't mind em OCCASIONALLY, but for the most part I am finished with finishing, I just want a good/great bourbon or rye.

The term "crushable" came to my mind when I tried pipe dream for the first time. Easy drinking and nothing really offensive about it. The price in my area is around $30 when on sale, so it doesn't hurt the wallet too bad either.

• I like it 1

Picked these up today...

VOBOS.thumb.jpg.a6c2eecda3e17acaac44803dbd54f51e.jpg

Had these delivered last week...

BGold.jpg.09b1daf0320ceb5c4f22b0a407f58417.jpg

• I like it 3

On 1/11/2024 at 5:45 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Heavy weather heading our way. Exactly how bad it will be is up in the air depending on how this storm system tracks. We’re  stocked up okay, but just in case, we made a quick trip to the grocery store. Yes, I looked in the liquor department. A lone bottle of BT on the shelf called my name. I answered. 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_3408.thumb.jpeg.f80b8794bfd4e7544cb9c668cea928b1.jpeg

I would probably call that number just to mess with someone.

"Hello.... yes, I found this at Big Lots"

• I like it 1

On 1/14/2024 at 11:24 AM, stevegoz said:

I thought yesterday's one-day-only Binny's coupon would inspire the Chicago mafia to get out, buy, and post!

Pic snagged from the interwebz 'cuz I'm lazy and the bottle is already down in the basement, but I grabbed my first Bardstown Origin BiB yesterday. Six-year 100-proof wheater for $40 (with coupon)? You don't have to ask me twice!

image.png.dcece310e4414c018dfc506ed8248dba.png

I hold all my big purchases, usually scotch, for Binnys 15% off they do in the spring. The $10 off was nice for a one bottle purchase

23 hours ago, Double C's said:

The term "crushable" came to my mind when I tried pipe dream for the first time. Easy drinking and nothing really offensive about it. The price in my area is around $30 when on sale, so it doesn't hurt the wallet too bad either.

I have not tried the very popular "freezer bourbon" many members here enjoy during the summer months, I may finally dive in with this bottle, seems a perfect candidate for it.

Stopped by my local ls today and they had a shelf full of these c923 bottles. I couldn't resist the temptation to grab one.

20240120_134504.jpg

• I like it 3

We recently visited Belle Meade in Nashville and while there did their whiskey event.  They provided tastings of their bourbon, plus some cocktails made with it.  The host said that the whiskey was distilled at Greenbriar but the bottle said it was distilled for them at MGP.  As best I could figure out the story she told, Greenbriar was making bourbon for them (or was going to make bourbon for them?) but were sold and that arrangement was cancelled?  The Belle Meade label appears to be going away.  Whatever was in the bottle, it was tasty so I picked one up.

• I like it 1

Hard to beat a combination of quantity plus quality.  Sipping the Hooten now, very nice -Hooah!

IMG_0689.jpeg

• I like it 2

My sister-in-law gifted me this.

I've wanted to try it for a long time...but am too cheap to buy it without trying it first.

Sis solved the problem for me 😁

20240121_150314.jpg

• I like it 5

Thanks goodness the Lions covered the spread.  These are about half of my winnings from a local gathering last week watching the playoffs.  A lucky guess on my part.  My oldest son is dating a young woman from Detroit, so why not.  It made watching the game interesting and enjoyable.

IMG_1236.jpeg

• I like it 7

it was on sale for a good price so I got weak and bought it.

20240123_190624.jpg

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, markandrex said:

Thanks goodness the Lions covered the spread.  These are about half of my winnings from a local gathering last week watching the playoffs.  A lucky guess on my part.  My oldest son is dating a young woman from Detroit, so why not.  It made watching the game interesting and enjoyable.

IMG_1236.jpeg

The Lions are my team to win the Super Bowl.  The Colts are out so why not root for a team that has struggled for so many years.  Besides they are fun to watch and their coach is crazy.

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, markandrex said:

IMG_1236.jpeg

I have been looking at picking up a bottle of Jacob's Well. Let us know how you like it.