What bourbon did you purchase this Winter? (2023-2024)

markandrex

2 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Have a chance to buy a Weller 12. Have had SR but not 12,a little pricey at $190 but very rare here, is it that good? 

Everyone has their own value equation.  But if you pay that, just don't blame the whiskey if it doesn't live up to your expectations.  Blame yourself.

• I like it 5

22 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Have a chance to buy a Weller 12. Have had SR but not 12,a little pricey at $190 but very rare here, is it that good? 

Find a bar pour, scratch the itch then spend the savings on several bottles not priced at the bat shit crazy level. W12 is a fine pour and I was a fan and regular buyer at the 20 something it used to go for, I always had at least 1 on hand. I no longer consider it as there are many, MANY other bottles I prefer,  as always YMMV.

• I like it 4

Round 2 of antibiotics, so to console myself I grabbed this near the pharmacy.

image1.jpeg

• I like it 5

23 hours ago, Grady330 said:

I guess my first question is - is it in a reputable store where you can see it in person.

Or is it someone you don't know, selling it online.  (In that case, good chance it's a fraud.)

If it seems legit, it just depends on you spending $200 on a lark.  MSRP is more like $40.  

I've had quite a few W 12s over the years.  I like it but wouldn't overpay for it now.  I'd call it decent mid shelf, and the batches could be variable.  

Now that we have all the different premium brand extensions from Maker's Mark - I'd probably go that route instead.

I think the bar pour of W 12 is a great suggestion too.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, markandrex said:

Round 2 of antibiotics, so to console myself I grabbed this near the pharmacy.

image1.jpeg

That may in fact supersede whatever the antibiotics were for!! I am of course no doctor but if I had to choose, JDSBBP is one hell of a fine tonic even in the best of health!! I hope whatever is ailing you is short lived and you are fully recovered in short order.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, PaulO said:

I guess my first question is - is it in a reputable store where you can see it in person.

Or is it someone you don't know, selling it online.  (In that case, good chance it's a fraud.)

If it seems legit, it just depends on you spending $200 on a lark.  MSRP is more like $40.  

I've had quite a few W 12s over the years.  I like it but wouldn't overpay for it now.  I'd call it decent mid shelf, and the batches could be variable.  

Now that we have all the different premium brand extensions from Maker's Mark - I'd probably go that route instead.

I think the bar pour of W 12 is a great suggestion too.

it's from my local go to store. Going to bank the purchase price and buy some well known staples to add to the bunker!!

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Grady330 said:

it's from my local go to store. Going to bank the purchase price and buy some well known staples to add to the bunker!!

Good call.

Why take a chance, when there are so many better options out there for a lot less $$

Well the wife bought it yesterday. I really have to stop letting her go to a store, any store by herself.

My understanding is that this is a very limited release by Woodford.20240319_090610.thumb.jpg.67532cc68083180e094d113aed712285.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Pub Crawler said:

Well the wife bought it yesterday. I really have to stop letting her go to a store, any store by herself.

My understanding is that this is a very limited release by Woodford.20240319_090610.thumb.jpg.67532cc68083180e094d113aed712285.jpg

I picked up a 124.pr not long ago, and find it very good.  If you find yours to be as good as I find mine, perhaps you’ll change your tune on Mrspubcrawler’s store visiting habits!  😂😂

• I like it 2

Four Roses Small Batch Select, Calumet 10, WT 101. Good shopping!!

• I like it 3

• 4 weeks later...

Pikesville!  Pikesville!  Pikesville!

Finding this old favorite has been a tough assignment - I haven't seen a bottle for almost three years.  It just up and disappeared and left no forwarding address.

But we'll meet again, some sunny day.  And that sunny day turned out to be today,  at Circle Liquors in Somers Point.

Digging this once more,  on Sunday night listening to Cy Touff Quintet.

20240414_235311.jpg

• I like it 6