What bourbon did you purchase this Winter? (2023-2024)

markandrex

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Scored this recently so it's also an easy pick for my new year's eve pour.  Cheers to 2024

BF062D82-DF34-491C-9A1B-843A4A83D9DF.jpeg

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Clarification
  • I like it 1

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Scored this recently so it's also an easy pick for my new year's eve pour.  Cheers to 2024

20231231_225047.thumb.jpg.a62e4af813ee9d3e1242b570208f1b40.jpg

Nicely done! 👏 

Happy New Year 

56 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Nicely done! 👏 

Happy New Year 

Happy New Year to you as well. 🥂🎉

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, flahute said:

I think Paul was talking about the old days when it was all sourced and the best stuff went to WFE. Still probably true today but working with much less age than back then.

Question - did you get the red hot cinnamon? I did not when I tasted through the entire KBD lineup and that surprised me.

Indeed, I was talking about back when they sourced everything.  I haven't gotten around to trying their own make.  I'm sure being a cheapskate doesn't help.

Cinnamon Red Hots - tasted it the first time I got a Weller SR in the new package.  That was a surprise.

My favorite Steve story - went to select a barrel of Larceny, passed on all of them.  🤣  Now there's some people that know how to select barrels.

• I like it 5

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

Indeed, I was talking about back when they sourced everything.  I haven't gotten around to trying their own make.  I'm sure being a cheapskate doesn't help.

Cinnamon Red Hots - tasted it the first time I got a Weller SR in the new package.  That was a surprise.

My favorite Steve story - went to select a barrel of Larceny, passed on all of them.  🤣  Now there's some people that know how to select barrels.

I remember the sourced stuff.

I was not impressed.

• I like it 1

On 1/1/2024 at 3:44 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I was not impressed.

It depends on when you had it. I remember a distinct line in the sand when the sourced KBD brands went from being great to not that good. It happened really fast.

• I like it 2

IMG_5247.thumb.jpeg.c4e527cf71f0f1680760ffed09fcb744.jpeg

I got drawn late in a lottery. Happy to get this

• I like it 10

On 1/1/2024 at 6:44 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I was not impressed.

I'm far from an expert on this, but my past experiences went something like this.  Most of the sourced KBD brands I tried reminded me of the not so hot barrels of EWSB (after the age statement fell).  The exception was a batch of Old Bardstown Estate 101 🤢.  Something wrong with it.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, flahute said:

It depends on when you had it. I remember a distinct line in the sand when the sourced KBD brands went from being great to not that good. It happened really fast.

I think it wasn't too long after it was first released.   I bought a bottle of it, and the Old Bardstown at the same time.   They weren't drain pours but, until last week, they were "one of" purchases.

3 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'm far from an expert on this, but my past experiences went something like this.  Most of the sourced KBD brands I tried reminded me of the not so hot barrels of EWSB (after the age statement fell).  The exception was a batch of Old Bardstown Estate 101 🤢.  Something wrong with it.

I wasn't overly impressed with the standard Old Bardstown.

Welp, for the second consecutive week I've set a new personal record for "most dollars spent on a single bottle" (not indexed for inflation).

Last week I just couldn't pass on the bottle on the left. Then yesterday I got the call from a small local chain that I'd been picked in their allocated bourbon lottery (for every store pick you bought in December, you got an entry in the drawing). The VW, BTAC, Weller, and MM Cellar Aged were all gone, and I already have Little Book 7 and KC 18, so I went with the bottle on the right after seeing it atop several "best of 2023" lists. (I passed on Generations, which would've been another $200 more than Voyage.)

So now I'll begin No-Buy January. 😁

20240103_135307.jpg

• I like it 12

Nothing special so far this year.  I needed some aquavit and while picking up a couple bottles of Linie, I picked up an otherwise unneeded OGD BIB on sale ($2 off but $2 is an Egg McMuffin!).  On the way to the register, a lone bottle of Bernheim Wheat at $29 fell in my basket.  Forgot about the EMcM, plus it was about 11AM so McD wouldn't sell me one anyway.

• I like it 2

38 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Nothing special so far this year.  I needed some aquavit and while picking up a couple bottles of Linie, I picked up an otherwise unneeded OGD BIB on sale ($2 off but $2 is an Egg McMuffin!).  On the way to the register, a lone bottle of Bernheim Wheat at $29 fell in my basket.  Forgot about the EMcM, plus it was about 11AM so McD wouldn't sell me one anyway.

Being in the NE and all maybe GeeTen will take you shopping someday! :)  :) :) 

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Being in the NE and all maybe GeeTen will take you shopping someday! :)  :) :) 

When I was a freshman heading to MIT from the Pacific Northwest, I thought Boston was south of New York!  @Harry in WashDC is almost 450 miles south of me!  But I still go shopping for him every once in a while . . .  😇

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

Local liquor store had their big annual allocated bourbon drop last week.  People were camping out days in advance.  I showed up two hours after opening and while I didn't get any of the super allocated bourbons and missed out on the OWA and Weller FP picks, I still had a pretty good haul of drinkers, including my first Blanton's Gold Store Pick, a regular Blanton's Gold, a FR OESF (my favorite recipe),and a Camp Nelson WT Kentucky Spirit.

IMG_5179.jpeg

IMG_5181.jpeg

• I like it 15

10 hours ago, GeeTen said:

When I was a freshman heading to MIT from the Pacific Northwest, I thought Boston was south of New York!  @Harry in WashDC is almost 450 miles south of me!  But I still go shopping for him every once in a while . . .  😇

Indeed, you do!  THANKS, Pop.B)

• I like it 1

My plan for this year was to only shop on the monthly state allocation drops, so technically I'm still working my plan as my wife bought this one. I don't know anything about this release, but I've liked most of the Penelope releases I've tasted.

20231231_161922.thumb.jpg.5f640d7dec5aa652a42f74d6809e739d.jpg

On 1/4/2024 at 5:52 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Indeed, you do!  THANKS, Pop.B)

Harry and Frank sitting in a tree.  B-U-Y-I-N-G.  First comes find it, second comes buy it, next comes Frank runs off to take a pee.

I want to be you guys when I grow up.  Unfortunately, I refuse to grow up.  Happy new year and happy hunting.  Bye baby bunting.  Only oldsters like you two, me and @Richnimrod would know what I am referring to.  😮🤪

• I like it 4

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Harry and Frank sitting in a tree.  B-U-Y-I-N-G.  First comes find it, second comes buy it, next comes Frank runs off to take a pee.

I want to be you guys when I grow up.  Unfortunately, I refuse to grow up.  Happy new year and happy hunting.  Bye baby bunting.  Only oldsters like you two, me and @Richnimrod would know what I am referring to.  😮🤪

Hey, who you calling "oldster"?  SWMBO says I act like a 12-year-old now-a-days - my 12-year-old granddaughter is more mature than I am, most of the time!   🤣

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 4

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hey, who you calling "oldster"?  SWMBO says I act like a 12-year-old now-a-days - my 12-year-old granddaughter is more mature than I am, most of the time!   🤣

I have said many times that no matter our age, all of us guys have a 12-year-old boy inside.  And there are many videos on YouTube proving just that!

• I like it 2

Barrel Bourbon 2024 New Years. 

Got into Barrel products more this past year and the 2023 was pretty good, so expecting this one to be another good addition to the bunker

I had a medical appointment this morning, so after it, I stopped by two LS in the area.  One of my regular stores had these two for $212 otd.  The other will be in the pass thread.

image0.jpeg

• I like it 4

I decided to go out to get the car washed and grab a few things before the rain/snow/cold sets in tonight.  The car wash is near one of my regulars so I went in there.  They too had received their BTAC shipment yesterday and had all five available.  The pricing was crazy so I asked the manager what was going on.  He said the owner and his wife are taking a more active role in operations.  He said they had googled the secondary price and saw that and set the pricing themselves.

Fortunately, they are leaving him alone for the rest of the shipment so he offered me this at $200.  He also said if he gets the opportunity, he will hold any BTAC at realistic pricing that survives for me.  I’m not holding my breath on that.

i am happy with what I have.

image1.jpeg

• I like it 6

22 hours ago, markandrex said:

I had a medical appointment this morning, so after it, I stopped by two LS in the area.  One of my regular stores had these two for $212 otd.  The other will be in the pass thread.

image0.jpeg

2 hours ago, markandrex said:

I decided to go out to get the car washed and grab a few things before the rain/snow/cold sets in tonight.  The car wash is near one of my regulars so I went in there.  They too had received their BTAC shipment yesterday and had all five available.  The pricing was crazy so I asked the manager what was going on.  He said the owner and his wife are taking a more active role in operations.  He said they had googled the secondary price and saw that and set the pricing themselves.

Fortunately, they are leaving him alone for the rest of the shipment so he offered me this at $200.  He also said if he gets the opportunity, he will hold any BTAC at realistic pricing that survives for me.  I’m not holding my breath on that.

i am happy with what I have.

image1.jpeg

You sure manage to run a lot of errands that just happen to be near liquor stores...😉 😅

• I like it 2

47 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You sure manage to run a lot of errands that just happen to be near liquor stores...😉 😅

Hey, it’s KY, everything is near a liquor store!  🤩

Edited by markandrex
Emoji added
  • I like it 4