What bourbon did you purchase this Winter? (2023-2024)

markandrex

Got some more SFTB, W12, Gold in France. KC12 is really well priced at Indy TW, picked up a few. Ditto Old Forester 1910. Spent a nickel on Bookers Freddy's Pick (the special release from last year). Tried it at a friend's place - it is really good. Met with Obree again. He had some very nice things at/darned close to MSRP - MMCA & 4R 135th.

Bought like crazy in late 22 and all of 23. Having a bunch of fun trying it all. Probably will slow down on the purchases & trading some. Pretty darned satisfied, and feeling very little FOMO.

With that said, trading some of the WSR for a PHC16. Tried it several times - good grief, that stuff is good.

• I like it 5

58 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Got some more SFTB, W12, Gold in France. KC12 is really well priced at Indy TW, picked up a few. Ditto Old Forester 1910. Spent a nickel on Bookers Freddy's Pick (the special release from last year). Tried it at a friend's place - it is really good. Met with Obree again. He had some very nice things at/darned close to MSRP - MMCA & 4R 135th.

Bought like crazy in late 22 and all of 23. Having a bunch of fun trying it all. Probably will slow down on the purchases & trading some. Pretty darned satisfied, and feeling very little FOMO.

With that said, trading some of the WSR for a PHC16. Tried it several times - good grief, that stuff is good.

Wait...you can trade WSR for PHC?!

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

yes, by the case!

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, Clueby said:

7 hours ago, steven s said:

yes, by the case!

Yes to both. Because "Ohio". The land of rivers of pure, mountain-spring Green Weller. And streams of OWA.

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 2

My LS had a ECBP C922 and it came home with me. 

• I like it 3

We've made a conscious decision to cut back on purchases this year. However, today was our monthly state drop and we picked up a few bottles.

The CC was my wife's choice 🙂 The guy in front of me got the last Willett purple top which saved me some cash. 😎

20240127_105041.thumb.jpg.7ebacea79fd3a2bcdc71ee2c5f2d0d65.jpg

• I like it 3

On 1/24/2024 at 4:41 PM, Clueby said:

On 1/25/2024 at 6:55 AM, Anwalt said:

Yes to both. Because "Ohio". The land of rivers of pure, mountain-spring Green Weller. And streams of OWA.

That's crazy

• I like it 1

_ _ _ _   _ _   _ _ _   _ _   _ _  _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _ , __ __  ……….………….  (Just fill in the blanks. 😏)

As for the MMs, it looks like my gal probably dipped both bottles. 🤗

IMG_3572.thumb.jpeg.b2c7d34720174845366bffa1d1efd554.jpegIMG_3574.thumb.jpeg.3a0f367cb52253f5eda65aa8a90851ae.jpeg

• I like it 7

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

_ _ _ _   _ _   _ _ _   _ _   _ _  _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _ , __ __  ……….………….  (Just fill in the blanks. 😏)

As for the MMs, it looks like my gal probably dipped both bottles. 🤗

Those OF SB BS bottles are usually flavor bombs.  Pretty wide variation but I have never had a "bad" one.  They do tend to drink a bit hot.  OF is one brand (really about the only for me personally) that benefits from some water/dilution when overly hot.  Glad to see you picked up one of those up as I remember you lamenting the fact that they weren't readily available in your neck of the woods.

• I like it 2

38 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Those OF SB BS bottles are usually flavor bombs.  Pretty wide variation but I have never had a "bad" one.  They do tend to drink a bit hot.  OF is one brand (really about the only for me personally) that benefits from some water/dilution when overly hot.  Glad to see you picked up one of those up as I remember you lamenting the fact that they weren't readily available in your neck of the woods.

Limit one. 😐 This same store did one a couple of years or so ago. It wasn’t a BP though. It was 90 proof, but to me it came across as higher proof. It was absolutely wonderful. Whenever we were  in the area, I’d grab another bottle. Over a few weeks time I bought close to a case. Still have two in the bunker. Might have to do a SBS. 🤔 The good thing was the regular bottle was $35.99 IIRC. The bad thing is the BP is $79.99. 😬

• I like it 2

It's the quarterly or so grocery store sale.  🥳  I managed to come home with: Rittenhouse B.I.B., WT 101, OGD 114, Old Forester 100, and Sazerac Rye.  I haven't had Saz Rye in a long time, but since I was getting such a deal, why not.

• I like it 7

Grocery shopping at an old-line local store that started selling spirits last year in order to compete with a new Wegmans near it.  Their bourbon shelves were full, and their prices were competitive.  Lots of MM and WT offerings, and I was surprised at the dozen or so BT 750s ($40) and the four or so BT handles ($60) on the shelf, but maybe the prices discouraged clearing.  I did get one 750 for my TV chair's trash can.  My OGD BIB was getting lonesome.B)

The young notes some of us tasted in basic BT a couple years ago were totally absent, indicating to me that Saz/BT now has sufficient aged bourbon on hand to let its BT barrels age closer to its traditional years (up toward six IIRC).  First sip seemed spicier than I remembered, but then I'd just finished several handfuls of dry Honey Nut Cheerios, so OF COURSE the BT tasted spicy.  Second pour some time later took me back to that candy apple cinnamon flavor I love.   I should have picked up one of the handles.

• I like it 5

Traveller Whisky. Comes from BT but is a blend. No list of what's in it. Some say Canadian and some bourbon.  90 proof and VERY light. But has some nice subtle notes. Honey is strong along with some pepper. If you know someone new to brown liquor, this could be a start to the sickness we all have!!

• I like it 2

We're headed down to Mom's this weekend for a quick visit to bring  her some venison. She got me these.😀

I've never had the Laws before,  but she got it on sale, so why not?

Mom's cool😎

Resized_20240129_163501_1706564145235.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 4

12 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We're headed down to Mom's this weekend for a quick visit to bring  her some venison. She got me these.😀

Mom's cool😎

I am a huge fan of the Laws Four Grain. Extremely flavorful. Cant believe it doesnt get more love here. Enjoy

• I like it 1

53 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I am a huge fan of the Laws Four Grain. Extremely flavorful. Cant believe it doesnt get more love here. Enjoy

THX for the comment.  I've seen it in stores but passed, figuring some day I'd see it in a bar and get a taste.  I don't think I'll wait.

• I like it 3

picked these up yesterday to use in a 100pf wheater flight to see what I like best. Hoping to have a Bardstown Origin bib wheated from a coworker that went to KY this weekend. That is the last bottle I wanted to have in this flight.

20240202_121451.jpg

• I like it 5

On 1/30/2024 at 1:35 PM, Clueby said:

I have yet to try an OF at BS but your comment about it standing out as uniquely benefitting from water for your taste reminded me that the Chattanooga SBBS they sell as distillery exclusives have that very same effect on me. I find them delicious but impacted to a greater degree than anything else ( to my palate) from any other distillery by the addition of water or ice. I look forward to trying one of these OFSBs at some point, perhaps they will join that,  so far exclusive club,  for my tastes.

• I like it 2

On 2/1/2024 at 9:18 AM, PaulO said:

It's the quarterly or so grocery store sale.  🥳  I managed to come home with: Rittenhouse B.I.B., WT 101, OGD 114, Old Forester 100, and Sazerac Rye.  I haven't had Saz Rye in a long time, but since I was getting such a deal, why not.

👍 We went to the same sale at the same grocery chain.  We ended up with similar items.  😎

I grabbed an ECBP 9 year 118 proof, Ritt BIB SiB, FRSiB, WT101, WT101 Rye, and OF100.  I was surprised to see the ECBP.  I know that there is some consternation about private picks less than 12 years but I am a sucker for ECBP.  The last private pick from the same chain was 9 year 131 proof and it was pretty good.  I believe I bought some cheap Oliver wine for cooking to get a discount on that one as well.  My guess is that the liquor department manager had this one in the back for quite a while.  Not a good deal @ $76 but a decent pick up $57.

I can't help it.  I am a Cheap Bastard.  

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

56 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

👍 We went to the same sale at the same grocery chain.  We ended up with similar items.  😎

I grabbed an ECBP 9 year 118 proof, Ritt BIB SiB, FRSiB, WT101, WT101 Rye, and OF100.  I was surprised to see the ECBP.  I know that there is some consternation about private picks less than 12 years but I am a sucker for ECBP.  The last private pick from the same chain was 9 year 131 proof and it was pretty good.  I believe I bought some cheap Oliver wine for cooking to get a discount on that one as well.  My guess is that the liquor department manager had this one in the back for quite a while.  Not a good deal @ $76 but a decent pick up $57.

I can't help it.  I am a Cheap Bastard.  

$76 would be very reasonable in these parts. I consider $57 for an ECBP a steal. Our state minimum is $74.99

• I like it 1

Got a gift card from the company.Went out and picked up WT101, Russell Reserve, WT Rare breed and a Doc Swinson. Going to resume shopping today!!

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Good to know. I'm looking forward to trying it.

20 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

THX for the comment.  I've seen it in stores but passed, figuring some day I'd see it in a bar and get a taste.  I don't think I'll wait.

Same.

Mom called from the package store and, bless her, walked up and down the aisles telling me what they had and the prices.  The Laws was on sale, so I figured "why not?"

• I like it 3

I've been real busy adding to my collection the past month. I haven't taken photos of all I have purchased, but these are this weeks additions. 

IMG_2735.jpeg

• I like it 6

On 2/1/2024 at 9:50 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Mom's cool😎

I Love Sazerac Rye. It has been one of my go to daily pours the past month

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, BobNY said:

I've been real busy adding to my collection the past month. I haven't taken photos of all I have purchased, but these are this weeks additions. 

IMG_2735.jpeg

That's a nice mix a great bottles to add to your collection.  The fill level on the KC12 and Stagg look to be a little light. 😀

• I like it 1