What bourbon did you purchase this Winter? (2023-2024)

markandrex

Picked up a magnum of WT 101. KC9. New Riff and a BT. Nothing exotic but all solid sippers!!😍

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Grady330 said:

Picked up a magnum of WT 101. KC9. New Riff and a BT. Nothing exotic but all solid sippers!!😍

Sometimes the simpler things in life, and the finer things in life are one and the same.  

Nice pickups @Grady330.  👍👍👍

• I like it 2

Some of today's pickups.

The JMCB is batch number 169; I don't know anything about this batch but I have loved my previous bottles.

The Sagamore ryw BiB is the new 6 year release.  I'm a big fan of the 5 yr that I purchased last year so I'm hoping the new one is even better.

20240210_210938.thumb.jpg.0fc064167ca49d80bc89c89a59c61739.jpg

• I like it 10

I added this one and a couple ryes (posted in the appropriate thread)

image1.jpeg

• I like it 6

Another New Riff, OF1910( love this stuff) and a MM BEP!!

• I like it 4

Found a Larceny A124 today at 65 and couldn't resist.  I always need to make sure I have at least 2 backups on hand of the barrel proof.

• I like it 5

I got these today and some news from one of my LS managers.  
He has a week to go before moving on to be a distributor rep.  He has worked at the store for 26 years.  He has been the manager for probably 20 years.  The lady who owned the store passed away about 18 months ago.  Her son, who inherited, just decided to take an active role with his wife in the day-to-day operations.  
My friend said they started with the “full tater pricing” on this year’s BTAC shipment.  Now they are about to expand into pretty much all of their lines.  They fail to recognize that their departing mgr did all of their store picks ( with some help).  They have pushed his schedule around since the holidays and are just using him as a glorified stock boy.  They seem to know little about bourbon and only know how to google the secondary price on their better lines.  They also know nothing about customer loyalty.

Oh well, he has a week left.  He said that three of the employees are leaving/moving on when he does next week.  I need to make one last swing through and grab a few more of his store picks before the price increase.  I’m betting that the may be a “space for  lease” sign by the end of the year.  Oh well, drink more, buy less.  At least my wife can stop rolling her eyes at me.

His future boss was in today and we tasted the 1924.  Very nice off OF profile.  He claimed the barrels to be the ET 10 yr olds that didn’t make KoK selection.  I don’t know that I will buy a backup, but a nice bourbon.  The EHTBP was $69.99 on a “good customer” discount.

image0.jpeg

• I like it 14

1 hour ago, markandrex said:

He has a week to go before moving on to be a distributor rep.  He has worked at the store for 26 years.  He has been the manager for probably 20 years.  The lady who owned the store passed away about 18 months ago.  Her son, who inherited, just decided to take an active role with his wife in the day-to-day operations.  
My friend said they started with the “full tater pricing” on this year’s BTAC shipment.  Now they are about to expand into pretty much all of their lines.  They fail to recognize that their departing mgr did all of their store picks ( with some help).  They have pushed his schedule around since the holidays and are just using him as a glorified stock boy.  They seem to know little about bourbon and only know how to google the secondary price on their better lines.  They also know nothing about customer loyalty.

Oh well, he has a week left.  He said that three of the employees are leaving/moving on when he does next week.  I need to make one last swing through and grab a few more of his store picks before the price increase.  I’m betting that the may be a “space for  lease” sign by the end of the year.  Oh well, drink more, buy less.  At least my wife can stop rolling her eyes at me.

His future boss was in today and we tasted the 1924.  Very nice off OF profile.  He claimed the barrels to be the ET 10 yr olds that didn’t make KoK selection.  I don’t know that I will buy a backup, but a nice bourbon.  The EHTBP was $69.99 on a “good customer” discount.

image0.jpeg

I would say they will probably learn but there are enough taters out there to justify their pricing.   I guess the good thing is the pricing will increase in one fell swoop rather slowly over time with the hopes customers won't notice.  It is easier to cut bait and move on.  Sort of like ripping a bandaid off.  It hurts but then its over with.

We have all experienced situation.  Honestly, I still stop in to browse these stores.  I am not certain whether it is to see what they have although I won't buy or to make me feel better about my purchases elsewhere.  

You scored well with the CEHT BP for $70.  I heard the same story on the OF1924.  

• I like it 2

The shame is , at least locally, that the “good” stores are getting to be few and far between.  I’m like you, I will likely poke my head in once in/awhile to shop but a lot less buying.  My bunker can/will likely outlast me.  On the bright side, I will save a bit on doughnuts and bagels .  

• I like it 6

36 minutes ago, markandrex said:

The shame is , at least locally, that the “good” stores are getting to be few and far between.  I’m like you, I will likely poke my head in once in/awhile to shop but a lot less buying.  My bunker can/will likely outlast me.  On the bright side, I will save a bit on doughnuts and bagels .  

Talk about odd timing. When I was at Sam’s Club last week I ran into a  former store manager who is now a liquor merchandiser for a company here. Long time owner sold the store. Not sure  what to believe. Seemed like a mutual parting of the ways, but he said a couple things. He started that store down the tater path, and was responsible for their whiskey tasting and raffle when Pappy, BTAC and other LE’s were released. IMHO, the way he did things sucked. I stopped going there years ago. He hinted that the new owner was heading the store towards being full tater. Not sure about the LE stuff. Maybe more changes there too possibly.

9 hours ago, markandrex said:

I'm not sure about the long term of the really stick it to the customer on a few items business model.

As you predict "space for lease" sign coming a definite possibility.

Having the friend who's a distributor should be a big help - some good leads.  

• I like it 2

On 2/15/2024 at 4:56 PM, markandrex said:

This sucks.  Most of us have been through something similar.  Feel your pain.  But at least as you mentioned, you have a sizable bunker that will pick up the slack. 

• I like it 2

Recent pickup ... my first Woodinville.

This is quite good bourbon. And it came with this little bottle of barrel-aged maple syrup.  Win-win.

20240217_164308.thumb.jpg.aa6dfe9c4393f46b3432560ede0a429a.jpg

• I like it 9

18 minutes ago, Kepler said:

This is quite good bourbon. And it came with this little bottle of barrel-aged maple syrup.  Win-win.

Every Woodinville that I've had is very good to excellent.   I have a couple of picks that are insanely good.  Pure cherry cola...but in a good way 😉

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Shazzam...this stuff is good and you got maple syrup with it.  WTF, get out of here.  That would have been an immediate buy for me. 

Shhh...don't tell @flahute he will start hoarding this stuff and guys in Texas and Indiana will be left dry.  I am all in on Woodinville.  I have had several different iterations and all have been stellar.  

There are four "crafts", if you can call them that now, that I absolutely love....New Riff, Woodinville, Hard Truth, and Chattanooga.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Shazzam...this stuff is good and you got maple syrup with it.  WTF, get out of here.  That would have been an immediate buy for me. 

Shhh...don't tell @flahute he will start hoarding this stuff and guys in Texas and Indiana will be left dry.  I am all in on Woodinville.  I have had several different iterations and all have been stellar.  

There are four "crafts", if you can call them that now, that I absolutely love....New Riff, Woodinville, Hard Truth, and Chattanooga.

I haven't had a Woodinville that I don't love and the same goes for most iterations of the New Riff, (not a big fan of the rye).

I've never seen, or looked for Hard Truth, and I've been looking for anything by Chattanooga around here, but haven't seen it.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Too late! Already hoarding!

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I haven't had a Woodinville that I don't love and the same goes for most iterations of the New Riff, (not a big fan of the rye).

I've never seen, or looked for Hard Truth, and I've been looking for anything by Chattanooga around here, but haven't seen it.

Great to hear a "Shazzam" 😃

I've never heard of Hard Truth, but sounds like I need to keep an eye open.  I enjoy the other three brands you listed.

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

Great to hear a "Shazzam" 😃

I've never heard of Hard Truth, but sounds like I need to keep an eye open.  I enjoy the other three brands you listed.

Hard Truth is in Nashville, IN - about two hours drive South of Indy.  They have a restaurant people seem to enjoy, I've heard.

Kroger stores around here stock a ton of their products.  A lot of it is flavored.  I'm not sure how widely it's distributed.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

There was a Woodinville Single Barrel in a lottery I went to yesterday in Illinois.  It was around $80. We didn't know anything about it. Apparently no one did since it went as one of the last couple bottles out of ~100.  I didn't get picked at all..again. 🤷‍♂️

Stopped at another store across town after and convinced the manager to have pity on us since we struck out in the big lottery. She went in back and came out with an ER10 for my friend and I got a CEHTSmB as "consolation prizes".

The OldFo was from a local pick release. A friend bought it just for points in their reward system. 

20240217_211949.jpg

• I like it 5

12 hours ago, PaulO said:

Hard Truth is in Nashville, IN - about two hours drive South of Indy.  They have a restaurant people seem to enjoy, I've heard.

Kroger stores around here stock a ton of their products.  A lot of it is flavored.  I'm not sure how widely it's distributed.

Yes, they certainly have a lot of flavored and finished products, primarily whiskies, rums and vodkas.  I know they have a Toasted Coconut Rum, Cinnamon Vodka,  Bourbon Cream, and smoked whiskey.  I had a free sample of the Toasted Coconut Rum at one of the restaurants.  Not in my wheelhouse but my wife and son like it.  

They are owned by the same people who own the Big Woods restaurants and Quaff On! Brewery.  The restaurant is really good.

They sell under multiple labels - Hard Truth, Henry A. Sipes, Schnoover.

Their Hard Truth Straight Ryes are really good.  They distill using the sweet mash process.  The Sweet Mash Barrel Proof Rye and High Road Rye are really good.  

I am not certain how wide their distribution is.  I see their products in most liquor and grocery stores in the Indy area. Their products are a little pricey since they are from a craft distiller, but once I tried them, I was hooked.  

• I like it 2

I didn’t purchase this bourbon. It’s a gift from my wife. She brought it back with her from Florida. She also brought back a new coffee mug for me. I broke my favorite one a few months ago. This one is better than the substitute I‘ve been using. Fun story behind the bourbon. Distilled in Tennessee, so probably Dickle. Not sure if I’ll open it, or just keep it around for the novelty. 😎

IMG_3759.thumb.jpeg.a3c9bba35b7a384320eaddf3dfcdeb57.jpegIMG_3764.thumb.jpeg.8ee863986fd913b1eaf9242e3b934a6e.jpeg

• I like it 2

I stopped by the distillery this afternoon and they had a 134.3 pf SBBP rye. I also picked up the oloroso finished. I haven't loved the JD finished offerings, I hate the tequila finished batch, but I thought I'd try this one. I'll open it later this week and give a report.

20240219_192641.thumb.jpg.82d2fd971de0b693cb85beb62767c820.jpg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, Davesnothere said:

I stopped by the distillery this afternoon and they had a 134.3 pf SBBP rye. I also picked up the oloroso finished. I haven't loved the JD finished offerings, I hate the tequila finished batch, but I thought I'd try this one. I'll open it later this week and give a report.

20240219_192641.thumb.jpg.82d2fd971de0b693cb85beb62767c820.jpg

It'll probably be pretty good, as long as they didn't over-do it.   If they screw up Oloroso sherry finishing then they don't know what they're doing 🙂

• I like it 2

Picked up a few more W12 in Europe, $90 each, to swap into wonderful things (I have plenty stocked up).

And paid $200 for a Fred's Pick Bookers. That was the limited release in late 2022. I've had it multiple times and it was very, very good. Probably right after the 30th Anniversary one of you shared with me. Was happy to pay the 2 Benjamins, that'll be a great bottle to share with my Louisville friend here in PR.

• I like it 2