What bourbon did you purchase this Winter? (2023-2024)

markandrex

Haven’t had the Hancock’s before, but despite the lower proof, thought I’d pick it up. Manager I know at my go to store offered it to me at 54.99.

IMG_5678.jpeg

• I like it 7

I was out picking up our taxes from the CPA.  Good news day so I went by to wish my departing LS manager best of luck.  He went under the counter and produced a 2023 PHC 10 yr. rye for $20 over retail.  His comment was, “what are they going to do, fire me?  Today is my last day!”

No pics.

• I like it 9

On 2/20/2024 at 6:05 PM, JakeySnakes said:

Haven’t had the Hancock’s before, but despite the lower proof, thought I’d pick it up. Manager I know at my go to store offered it to me at 54.99.

IMG_5678.jpeg

That’s such a good pick up.  The Hancock’s, is well, pretty much unavailable in most places.  I’ve always found it to be a solid whiskey.  So, good on you got one, these days.  I’ll grab the first one I see at anywhere that price. The OGD BIB is just so great despite its low price.  I’ve been more OGD 114 lately because it’s dropping in large members for some reason, but I’ll take the BIB any time!👍🏻

• I like it 2

On 2/27/2024 at 3:22 PM, markandrex said:

I was out picking up our taxes from the CPA.  Good news day so I went by to wish my departing LS manager best of luck.  He went under the counter and produced a 2023 PHC 10 yr. rye for $20 over retail.  His comment was, “what are they going to do, fire me?  Today is my last day!”

No pics.

did you ask what else was under there?

• I like it 1

my open bottle was getting low so why not take advantage if a sale plus an extra 10% off.

20240228_182452.jpg

• I like it 2

I was up in Louisville yesterday and made a few stops.  I had to grab one of these.

image0.jpeg

• I like it 9

1924 is a new one for me.  I always need more well aged HH products….

IMG_1280.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 3/2/2024 at 8:23 PM, markandrex said:

I was up in Louisville yesterday and made a few stops.  I had to grab one of these.

image0.jpeg

I've been trying to not to buy as much this year, but I'd have a hard time passing on this one.   Please share the details when you crack it...

Magnum of WT101, 750 of Doc Swinson, KC9. 

• I like it 1

New Riff 8 year. 

I don't have it yet.  They did a pre-sale at the distillery and I bought one.    A friend of mine lives  within walking distance of the distillery and she'll pick it up on Saturday.   I probably didn't need to do this, because It's going to be a core product, but I don't know how long it'll take to make its way up to MD so I pulled the trigger.   I love NR bourbon and have always wondered how (if?), their standard offering would benefit with more age.   At $67.99 it's the most I've paid for a bottle of NR, but just had to have it!

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

New Riff 8 year. 

I don't have it yet.  They did a pre-sale at the distillery and I bought one.    A friend of mine lives  within walking distance of the distillery and she'll pick it up on Saturday.   I probably didn't need to do this, because It's going to be a core product, but I don't know how long it'll take to make its way up to MD so I pulled the trigger.   I love NR bourbon and have always wondered how (if?), their standard offering would benefit with more age.   At $67.99 it's the most I've paid for a bottle of NR, but just had to have it!

Probably a good choice to get one early. The taters will probably snatch the first round of them all up and put them on the secondary market to try and make a quick buck like they did with the Traveler whiskey.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

New Riff 8 year. 

Weird...that I'm quoting myself...but I love New Riff and here's an interesting note, from their site on why this isn't a BiB.  I can't wait to try it!

Sharp-eyed New Riff fans will note this bottle is not labeled as Bottled-in-Bond. For the first time (other than our various barrel proof bottlings, especially our Single Barrel whiskeys), New Riff has dropped the bonded status for a whiskey—and for this one? Our long-awaited, extra aged release? What gives? In fact, this particular bottling could, in fact, roll out as a BIB, because all the barrels come from the Spring 2015 season; and it fulfils all other BIB parameters for BIB, and is 100 proof, New Riff’s permanent minimum proofing. However, in making up these longer aged expressions, we needed the flexibility to mix barrels from one season with those of another—in short, the ability to blend barrels from, say, June, with those from July. Hopefully in the fullness of time our older whiskeys will revert to full bonded status. We just made a lot less whiskey eight years ago and dropping the seasonality requirement will allow us to bring this to market in a more plentiful fashion.

To that end, for this initial eight-year-old Bourbon, we vatted up barrels from June of 2015 stretching back to January 2015, bottling them together in the spring of 2024. That’s right: the oldest whiskey in this bottle (two barrels from 1/15/15) is nine years old, and the youngest (one barrel from 6/10/15) is at least eight years and eight months old.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Dropped by one of my favorite stores and was rewarded by finding a JD SBBP and a soon to be re-famous ME 4RSB.  😉

Besides great whiskies, both have very handsome dressing.  

89FAF53B-8645-4878-A6F5-84D3D2FE04C2.jpeg

• I like it 10

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Dropped by one of my favorite stores and was rewarded by finding a JD SBBP and a soon to be re-famous ME 4RSB.  😉

Besides great whiskies, both have very handsome dressing.  

89FAF53B-8645-4878-A6F5-84D3D2FE04C2.jpeg

The whiskies are great.  I also agree those are really nicely presented bottles. 

Picked up a bottle of a Stellum Perseus Single Barrel Cask Strength store pick for $31.99.  5-Year Old CS MGP.  Also, grabbed a bottle KC Rye 7 Year for $27.99. It is normally $35 in my area.

• I like it 3

Grabbed a bottle of EW BIB. After having just finished a bottle, I was craving more.

Just opened and poured a bit into my yeti tumbler with a cube to toast the first 70 degree day here.

• I like it 3

I was getting low on MM, so I grabbed a 1.75 when we were out today. On a whim, I decided to stop at another place. Glad I did. Pure luck with the BT’s. Every once in a while. 😉  As for the MM, it appears that my gal may have dipped it. 😎

IMG_3923.thumb.jpeg.bf853ddd7b5ed7228d2cc5146405ea71.jpegIMG_3931.thumb.jpeg.4aac99da76ebec945a35cef39e7aa775.jpeg

• I like it 4

I picked up a couple of bottles today.  I have tried several Hard Truth Sweet Mash Ryes and love them.  I am a big fan of Hard Truth and have made several repeat purchases.   However, I had never tried their bourbon.  I saw three different bourbon products for sale for the first time at a small local retailer that I frequent. I opted for the small batch since it would probably give me a good feel for their house profile.  They also had a wheated 5-year old BIB and a 4-grain 5-year old BIB.  

I already popped the bourbon open and have been discussing with a friend and fellow bourbon enthusiast.  He asked what I would compare it to.  I am struggling with a comparison. It kind of reminds me of Macallan scotch with a rye pop on the finish.   I guess in the bourbon world maybe the finesse of Old Forester with the smack in the face of Wild Turkey.  I am not an expert but supposedly the Sweet Mash process helps emphasize the grain influence.  I get a reasonable hint of cream and toffee on the nose which is suprising since it is NAS.  I was expecting a light nose with more than a hint of ethanol.  The palate is similar to OF100 until the finish.  For 90 proof the spiciness of the rye at the finish is pleasant suprise and it lingers for a long-time.   Yet, it is craft and $40 for a 90 proof bourbon might not be in everyone's wheelhouse.  As for me, I plan to try the 4-grain next.  I was talking with the LS manager and he said it is his favorite of all of their bottlings.  

Pikesville needs no introduction and is next on the agenda next.  I couldn't pass a bottle for $40.

image000000.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 5

41 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I picked up a couple of bottles today.  I have tried several Hard Truth Sweet Mash Ryes and love them.  I am a big fan of Hard Truth and have made several repeat purchases.   However, I had never tried their bourbon.  I saw three different bourbon products for sale for the first time at a small local retailer that I frequent. I opted for the small batch since it would probably give me a good feel for their house profile.  They also had a wheated 5-year old BIB and a 4-grain 5-year old BIB.  

I already popped the bourbon open and have been discussing with a friend and fellow bourbon enthusiast.  He asked what I would compare it to.  I am struggling with a comparison. It kind of reminds me of Macallan scotch with a rye pop on the finish.   I guess in the bourbon world maybe the finesse of Old Forester with the smack in the face of Wild Turkey.  I am not an expert but supposedly the Sweet Mash process helps emphasize the grain influence.  I get a reasonable hint of cream and toffee on the nose which is suprising since it is NAS.  I was expecting a light nose with more than a hint of ethanol.  The palate is similar to OF100 until the finish.  For 90 proof the spiciness of the rye at the finish is pleasant suprise and it lingers for a long-time.   Yet, it is craft and $40 for a 90 proof bourbon might not be in everyone's wheelhouse.  As for me, I plan to try the 4-grain next.  I was talking with the LS manager and he said it is his favorite of all of their bottlings.  

Pikesville needs no introduction and is next on the agenda next.  I couldn't pass a bottle for $40.

image000000.jpg

I would've bought a couple of those Pikesville bottles at that price!

• I like it 3

28 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I would've bought a couple of those Pikesville bottles at that price!

What he said!  Watch out, you may find degenerate Wisconsin whiskey poachers (me) pillaging more than just the occasional coupla KC 12 's in the near future.  Note to self: bring the station wagon next time.

• I like it 3

Looked in the museum case today and this guy got marked down to close to retail.  Maybe good sign of things to come.  Old Fitz 8 was $800 for comparison.  

IMG_2395.jpeg

• I like it 6

Have a chance to buy a Weller 12. Have had SR but not 12,a little pricey at $190 but very rare here, is it that good? 

1 hour ago, Grady330 said:

Have a chance to buy a Weller 12. Have had SR but not 12,a little pricey at $190 but very rare here, is it that good? 

It's good, but not $190 good IMO.  I paid $99 a couple of years ago and don't regret it but I wouldn't pay that again.  But, if it's a bucket list bottle that you'd regret not ever having, that's worth something too...  Maybe see if you can find a bar that has it so you can try a pour first? 

• I like it 4