What bourbon are you drinking now?

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I opened a bottle of Eagle Rare 101. Too bad they are discontinuing this confused.gif

toast.gif

Eagle Rare 17 y/o. (Now I have only two unopened, previously untasted expressions on the shelf.)

The nose seemed very slow to develop. I waited at least two hours before taking the first sip. Eventually I started getting the basic, red-layer caramel. That sweetness seemed to peak and then fade. Later I detected a fruity sweetness, similar to apricot or peach. That, too, faded. Next I detected a hint of char, which reminded me of slightly over-browned, whole-wheat toast.

On the palate all of those subtleties merged into a gentle backdrop of sweetness, which framed a very pleasant, but dominant, expression of charred wood. I was struck by the similarity to the Van Winkle expressions of 15 years and older (except for the new PVW 15 y/o, which I think lacks that character).

I look forward to pouring occasional sips from this bottle for months or years to come.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

falling.gif Woohoo woohoo.gif Fighting Cock & Cola cans - Just finished a few after a massive day in the yard laying pavers falling.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I have had rather a lot to drink tonight. Rare Breed, Rip Van Winkle's 10 year old, Elijah Craig 12 (quite a bit of that) an Irish; Jameson 12, Evan William's 7, big pour, Evan William's 12, small pour, a little Jim Beam Black and a tiny pour of Booker's. I shouldn't be able to type...

Ed

I have had rather a lot to drink tonight. Rare Breed, Rip Van Winkle's 10 year old, Elijah Craig 12 (quite a bit of that) an Irish; Jameson 12, Evan William's 7, big pour, Evan William's 12, small pour, a little Jim Beam Black and a tiny pour of Booker's. I shouldn't be able to type...

Ed

Well, I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace for $17.00. I like it a lot. It's, to me, rather soft, very light caramel, with a little shorter finish than I prefer. But I definately enjoyed it, and when it's gone, I will certainly grab another. Earlier this week I had a pour, followed by ORVW 10yr. Old Rip tasted completely different. Quite a suprise. So what you have before can really make a difference in what follows. Last night I returned to Old Grand Dad 114. I drank one glass only, but after about 45 minutes, my empty glass really came to life. The next time I have a pour, in fact, of anything, I am going to slow down so I can see how much difference 25-30 minutes in the glass can make. On the Pappy Van Winkles, I always do it; I just never thought to try it with others.

Tonight I had a pour of AAA 10 year and a pour of ORVW 15 - 107. Both in a brandy snifter, neat. They were both superb. Three cheers for Buffalo Trace and Julian Van Winkle.

Joe usflag.gif

Started with a large pour of Old Weller Antique and finished with 3oz's of Pappy's Family Reserve. Wheaters are excellent for the late evening, like a great dessert, delicous! drink.gif

Last night, Jefferson's Reserve. Still like the Van Winkles product better. Interestingly enough, My first pour was very smooth. The second was quite hot. Huh?

Last night, Jefferson's Reserve. Still like the Van Winkles product better. Interestingly enough, My first pour was very smooth. The second was quite hot. Huh?

That is what I've found as well. I don't have any Bourbon that is as different pour to pour as Jefferson's Reserve. I can't find any reason for it, but there you go....

Oh mine last night, Old Potrero Straight Rye. Very good and completely different than anything else I've tried. It struck me a lot more like an Irish (Bushmills maybe??) or a non peaty Scotch. Very smooth but huge flavor (just not at all the flavor I'm used to). After a night or two I'll try to come up with some notes.... This one's hard. Like I have no points of reference.

Cheers,

Ken

It's been really warm here latley, and a light bourbon has been tasting really good - I bought a bottle of Basil Hayden's. I normally don't drink 80 proof bourbon. This isn't bad. Not worth the $$$ tho. I find I take bigger sips of this to get the amount of flavor I desire.

Maybe next time I want an 80 proof bourbon, I'll pick up some Ancient Age - it's about 1/3 the $$.

toast.gif

Tonight, I find myself finishing off a bottle of Ancient Ancient Age 10yr. I feel special that I get to enjoy this fine bourbon, since it is not available here in MN. Since its avialablilty is being reduced, I hope I'll still be able to get it from Binny's when I need more. If not, a road-trip will be in order!

Before that, I thoroughly enjoyed a glass of the '04 Eagle Rare 17yo.

Life is good!

Last night was not a Bourbon at all (GASP!) but a Canadian (DOUBLE GASP!!) tongue.gif

Forty Creek Barrel Select - It has a wonderful nose, open, light, fruity.

Palate was full with apricots and vanilla.

This is not your father's Canadian, This is fully flavored complete and very well balanced pour. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

Ken drink.gif

Last night, I started with a nice, fat two finger pour (bad day at the office) of EWSB '95. Haven't had it in a while, but it was good.I had been enjoying higher proofs lately, so it went down a little too easy. I finished with an ORVW 10yr 107. It was an interesting pairing, but not as good of a combo as the previous night's OGD 114, followed with a Black Maple Hill 11yr. Those two really played of each other.

Last night, I enjoyed a 3-to-4-ounce pour of Weller 12yo in a large snifter while sitting in the recliner reading for an hour or so.

That's more than I usually pour of a single bourbon at a single time, but the Weller 12 is a comfortable companion for a good book.

I'm having a pour of some of the 1993 OGD I recently found in Rhode Island, and it's very very nice.

An odd thing happens with this whiskey. When I first opened the bottle, it tasted a good bit more peppery and for lack of a bettter term, like "rubbing alcohol" compared to some older 1984 stock I found a few months back, making me wonder whether the distillery had changed operations etc.

After a day or two, the familiar notes apppeared, stronger than initially, and the peppery notes seemed to die down.

Now, having the bottle open for six days, this whiskey is positively buttery, fruity, soft and slightly peppery, but in no way reminiscent of rubbing alcohol! Quite a nice pour right now!!

I guess the thing that struck me most is that this whiskey tastes OK when you first open it, but it improves radically after a week or so of having the bottle open. I've been sipping on this bottle all week, comparing it to the 1984 bottle I opened a month ago, and it's been improving steadily. Most other bourbons I've tasted don't seem to change this radically... Whatever's happening, it rocks!!

A toast to DSP-KY-14... a lovely still... may it someday be restored and distill again.

BTW, does anyone know if they dismantled this still after the ND sale to Beam, or what state it's in now?

Cheers,

-monte-

just a tad of Wild Turkey 8yo. you know i think this is the absolute best bargain for bourbon. In tokyo, you can get a liter for 23 dollars and on a trip to Mexico, i even got one for 13 dollars at a duty free store. Its the most balanced bourbon ive had.

Had a nice pour of the Old Fitz BIB, then went off-topic a bit with a couple of Rittenhouse Rye BIB pours to finish the bottle. Then, I veered even further off-topic with some Domaine Le Basque Bas-Armagnac (Hors d'Âge, 2004 bottling). Now, back on-topic with a small pour of AAA 10 for a nightcap...

Your are right about that. I mean WT 8 year old is a great bargain in Japan. Though I find that the 750s, when they are on sale, are cheaper than the liter bottles, at least up here in Sapporo. I have to admit that I haven't been drinking much of the eight year old lately, I have been spoiled by the twelve year old. Not cheap, but Soooo good.

Ed

Last night, Black Maple Hill 21yo. I've been going back and forth lately between this and Noah's Mill 15yo. Good company, I'd say.

Tonight was a pour of Pappy 20 with a great cigar (sancho panza). If there is such a thing as a holy grail pope.gif of bourbon, this is it.

Joe usflag.gif

A little of the 90 proof Cabin Still, and Amelia had a touch with me. toast.gif

In memory of CLs dad.

After opening with an ounce of 1978 National Distillers' Bourbon DeLuxe -- as complex an 80-proof, 4yo bourbon as I've found -- I ramped up to another ounce of the 129-proof '04 Stagg. Finally, I'm winding down the evening with an ounce of Stitzel-Weller 80-proof Old Fitz Prime from the early-'90s, which seems to have benefitted from aeration as the liter bottle has fallen below half-full. It had an acidic astringency early on which has dissipated completely that has left a Cognac-y light sweetness that nonetheless is mouth-coating. I have several of these -- I may open a second and split them between the two bottles once this one is empty, to speed the 'sweetening'.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!