What bourbon are you drinking now? Summer '06 edition

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Actually it is 7 Years Old.

Actually there are several Ezra Brooks...a 7 y/o, a 12 y/o, a 15 y/o that is no longer made and plain Ezra Brooks.

Joe :usflag:

I believe DB was telling us which bottling he, himself, was drinking.

If I still lived in the big city, I might make good use of your information regarding multiple bottlings. I was aware of only the two I mentioned.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

A wide-ranging assortment... 1792, Noah's Mill, and the best of the lot, Jefferson's Reserve

Tonight with a very long Mexican Dinner and a couple afterwards I killed off a 6 pack of Negra Modelo, one of my favorite if rather mundane beers. Then tonight I had a pour of WT Rare Breed. Very tasty stuff.

Like I posted a couple of days ago, I had been off bourbon for a while to rest up, but now coming back it is sooooo good. I didn't realize how much I missed it. The time off really rejuvinated my palate and make everything taste better than it has for months.

Started off with ORVW 10/107 then to ORVW 15. I was comparing them. I really need to do a blind test, but I tonight the 15 easily prevailed. It was so much smoother. Although, they were both 107's, the 10 tasted as if the alchohol content was much higher than the 15. Something I can't figure out though, it really tasted like the 15 had a rye a component and I don't think that's possible. :bigeyes:

Well, it has been months since I've gone on a liquor-buying binge, but my red wine rack was looking a little thin and so, as I'm just shy of my second payday of a new school year and have worked a lot of extra second-job hours recently, I released the debit card -- and didn't buy a single bottle of bourbon (though I spotted a couple I'll go back for).

I took a gamble on a couple of 'negociant' bottles of a lousy-year Pommard (1986) and got lucky -- quite drinkable (I'm half the bottle in -- will share the rest with liquor-store colleagues tomorrow) with my chicken-breast supper. Also bought a trio of less-expensive, generic, more recent red Burgundies for quality casual swilling, and a Kiona ice wine I may stick in the Bardstown box for next month.

After dinner, I've poured a 2000 Osborne Late Bottled Vintage Port, which I found for under $18 with a set of two very nice glasses which will double as bourbo-ware, too. It's nothing spectacular, but a decent value for the money paid. Very nice, typical, plummy LBV flavors, just subtle and understated. Just like me.:grin: :skep:

And, finally, my first bottle of Pyrat "Planters Gold" X.O. rum -- aka, Juicy Fruit -- for $33 locally with a couple of quasi-martini-shaped, frosted glasses which I almost certainly will never use. Too easy to drink!

I also picked up a Jameson 12yo for a fair price (at least, in these parts), but I think I'll hold off opening that one for another evening.

The good/bad news -- I don't think I'm ready for gin yet!:lol:

Finished off a bottle of Noah's Mill. Very tasty, with almost a toffee flavor. Perhaps the best of the offerings from KBD.

Enjoyed some Old Grand-Dad BIB last night. It had been a while, and in the meantime I have enjoyed the Rittenhouse Ryes, and the high-rye Bulleit bourbon, so I was curious to see how I would react to the OGD. Quite well, I must say, and kudos to Jim Beam for continuing to make this product and make it the right way. The rye is expressed as spice but also as earthiness (i.e., mud), which I find too much in Old Overholt, but just right in OGD. I'm a fan of the bottle too. A very old school experience overall.

Dan', How'd the UFC fight go tonight? I missed the ppv. Tonight it was knob creek on the rocks for me at a bar. Some interesting discussion on String theory though that was a bonus.

Finsihed off a bottle of OGD 114 that I hadn't touched for a while...

This is very serious whiskey! The spicy rye finish grabs you by the lapels and head butts you! No subtlety here... great stuff.

Tonight it's gonna be a three-way. I'm starting off with some Weller Antique 107, which has been on sale for $13.95 this month and an excellent, if not my favorite under $20 pour. Then I'm moving on to a little ER SB to be followed by a small pour of OGD 114. To cap it all off, I'm gonna treat myself to some Old Cabin Still Stitzel Weller bottled in 1969. This is the second bottle I've won off of eBay and I must say, I'm smitten. Once it's allowed to breathe a bit, there's a definite sweetness that reminds me of banana bread and honey that ends up with a long, smooth finish with plenty of mouth feel. I love the old Stitzel Weller stuff...

I am having a fairly large pour (for me, about 2 oz) of J. W. Dant BIB on the rocks. It is very tasty and it could easily fill the bill of an everyday pour.

Tim

I nice pour of ETL. I have a buddy at work who want's to try some Bourbon and I think this is the bottle I will recommend for him. Great flavor, great price, and a nice looking bottle.

Old Charter 12-year-old. Very enjoyable. Loads of caramel and vanilla. Interesting what corn whiskey does in a new barrel without much rye (or wheat) getting in the way. It's all wood (and corn sweetness) but, at least at the 12-year-level, that's all good. Very tasty, very rich, but not particularly complex. A good (though not great) value. Cool bottle too. Like OGD BIB it's very "old school," the whole experience, but in its own way.

Received these three pieces today. Surprisingly, only one (the queen, middle) had a broken cork:

post-367-14489812510075_thumb.jpg

The flawed cork, however, was enough excuse to open that one.:grin: I know some have described finding less-than-stellar bourbon in these, but all three -- including this one -- that I've opened so far taste like liquid chocolate fudge:cool: King me! (oops, wrong game:skep: )

Two nights in a row for the Old Charter 12-year-old.

Tim, you are sorely tempting me to open one of my chess pieces. Do you think they put better whiskey in the queens than what they put in the pawns?

Two nights in a row for the Old Charter 12-year-old.

Tim, you are sorely tempting me to open one of my chess pieces. Do you think they put better whiskey in the queens than what they put in the pawns?

No, but the green pieces definitely taste better than the yellow :yum::skep:

OGD 86 proof.

Not great but as I have had nearly 36 hours with no sleep, I will roll with it's impudence - for now...

...Do you think they put better whiskey in the queens than what they put in the pawns?

It would be a rook if they did, don't you think?:grin:

I've found myself going back to Weller antique, Weller 12yo, and OGD BiB. I took my very first nip of OGD 114 and found it very suitable.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!