Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

After a close call with a body in the attic and before she is murdred Morgan reaches for some IW Harper Gold Medal and takes a couple of swigs in The House on Sorority Row.

Old Granddad 114 was featured in the season finale of Rescue Me this week, it can clearly be seen on the top shelf behind one of the characters, and is even referenced soon after by someone else.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned yet (too many to skim through) but in the movie Teen Wolf, one of the kids goes into a liquor store to buy a keg. Behind the store clerk is a shelf full of bourbon. I don't remember the specific names, but there are several up there.

Old Granddad 114 was featured in the season finale of Rescue Me this week, it can clearly be seen on the top shelf behind one of the characters, and is even referenced soon after by someone else.

Was watching NCIS tonight. There a a quick shot of a bottle of Blantons. Joe

My wife watches that show, but I don't. I have seen significant parts of a few episodes, enough to wish I had started watching it back when she did.

By far my favorite drama on television right now. It is consistently funny yet serious. I really recommend it.

• 4 weeks later...

When the fog on the road gets too thick the crew and models pull over, barge into an empty house, and start drinking the owners tax stripped bottle of JB White, in Entrails of a Virgin. Little do they know this is the last bourbon they'll ever have!

When the fog on the road gets too thick the crew and models pull over, barge into an empty house, and start drinking the owners tax stripped bottle of JB White, in Entrails of a Virgin. Little do they know this is the last bourbon they'll ever have!

I don't know, that is how it ended but perhaps it could have been avoided, maybe if they'd offered the monster a drink, especially after hitting him with their car and all, he might have been less misanthropic... Then again, it was JB White... :]

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see a very cool Chicago band last night, Califone . . . the first majority of the show consisted of a screeing of the singer's film, "All My Friends Are Funeral Singers" with the band providing a live soundtrack. One scene had a very prominently displayed Lot B bottle in extreme close-up for quite a while -- those Califone dudes know their whiskey.

Watching an older "Foyles War" (British detective during the war) episode last night and an American Colonel gifted DCS Foyle with a tax stamped bottle of Old Fitzgerald BiB - his son commented later as he tasted it "what's this then?" ...."American Whiskey" Foyle replied - he didn't say Bourbon.

I only got a quick look but the label and bottle seemed accurate for the period. The show is usually very accurately propped.

I went to see a very cool Chicago band last night, Califone . . . the first majority of the show consisted of a screeing of the singer's film, "All My Friends Are Funeral Singers" with the band providing a live soundtrack. One scene had a very prominently displayed Lot B bottle in extreme close-up for quite a while -- those Califone dudes know their whiskey.

I've heard of these guys, they are great! Band of Horses has them as a friend or something somewhere i read and went to their M-space link before. Very laid back and thought provoking music.

• 1 month later...

Walter Mancini, Franco Nero's character in Hitch-Hike, is seen drinking from a small bottle of Jim Beam with a tax strip while his wife Eve drives the car. Eve: "That's what's giving you the headache." Walter: "No honey, YOU give me the headache!" Adam, the hitchhiker played by David Hess, helps himself to some shortly after pulling his gun. A little later in the movie there are a few bottles of Four Roses Bourbon with tax strips in the background when they stop to get more whiskey at the gas station, even though she was told to buy scotch Eve buys 2 of them and no one seems to mind as they are seen drinking it without complaint for most of the movie.

[hope I didn't pass this up]

While it isn't a movie, the HBO series Deadwood had Basil Hayden's in several episodes.

[hope I didn't pass this up]

While it isn't a movie, the HBO series Deadwood had Basil Hayden's in several episodes.

In last week's episode, Calamity Jane was drinking a bottle of Old McBrayer Bourbon. Problem was, the bottom of the label had "Bottled In Bond" in bold red letters that were impossible to miss.

Can somebody say "goof?"

I've never had Basil Hayden's before, but I'm trying to find a bottle of it close by where I live. I remember the episode when Francis Wolcott was hit over the head with a bottle of the stuff. How is it? Is it worth the $40?

I've never had Basil Hayden's before, but I'm trying to find a bottle of it close by where I live. I remember the episode when Francis Wolcott was hit over the head with a bottle of the stuff. How is it? Is it worth the $40?

No, it isn't. It is, essentially, the same juice as Old Granddad watered down to 80 proof, with perhaps a bit more age on it.

No, it isn't. It is, essentially, the same juice as Old Granddad watered down to 80 proof, with perhaps a bit more age on it.

Hmmm, that sounds disappointing.

I'm thinking of trying Buffalo Trace, but don't know if that's a good bourbon. I found an on line store that has it for just $20, but don't know if it's what I'm looking for.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1031933

Hmmm, that sounds disappointing.

I'm thinking of trying Buffalo Trace, but don't know if that's a good bourbon. I found an on line store that has it for just $20, but don't know if it's what I'm looking for.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1031933

EDIT: OK, I just got done reading the 'bourbon sinkers' (bs) thread and noticed both Basil Hayden's and Buffalo Trace were mentioned more than once. That's a bit disappointing, but that just goes to show you you can't judge a bourbon until you actually try it.

I guess I need to do more reading and pick a good bourbon, but I did notice I should start with Maker's Mark. I read a lot of people like it, it gets great reviews and only one person said they didn't like it in the 'bs' thread.

In last week's episode, Calamity Jane was drinking a bottle of Old McBrayer Bourbon. Problem was, the bottom of the label had "Bottled In Bond" in bold red letters that were impossible to miss.

I'll have to look for it, I plan to watch the series again at some point.

I've never had Basil Hayden's before, ... Is it worth the $40?

I'd suggest have some at a well stocked bar to know if you want to spend the $40. I liked it. But I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger again because there seems to be better for cheaper. But everyone has a different taste and you should atleast try it.

I'll have to look for it, I plan to watch the series again at some point.

I'm watching the series all over again on the 101 Network (channel 101 with DirecTV). If you want a guide to the episode, it's when Mrs. Elsworth collapses and faces a possible miscarriage. Farnum gets the :shithappens: kicked out of him by sheriff Bullock. Moes guards Ms. Stubbs and spends his time by the school house. Hearst has a man murdered in The Gem Saloon. I think you can find it from there.

I'd suggest have some at a well stocked bar to know if you want to spend the $40. I liked it. But I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger again because there seems to be better for cheaper. But everyone has a different taste and you should at least try it.

Oh yeah, I hear ya.' I would love to visit a bar and sample some hooch, but I cannot. I'm disabled and can't leave the home. Well, I 'could' but it's very difficult and to much of a PITA and I need somebody to drive me, since I don't own a vehicle nor could I drive one.

I like BT but not MM.

If you don't mind me asking, why? What are the flavor and taste differences between the two? I understand that MM is very smooth, somewhat sweet and easy to sip straight up. But, what about BT? I hear from some it's great sippin' bourbon, too. But, I do understand how more than a few don't like it much to the other stuff this distiller makes.

"Smooth" is a word I generally regard as meaningless when referring to whiskey. It's what people say when they can't think of anything to say.

But if it applies to any bourbon, that bourbon would be Maker's Mark.

Dave Pickerell, former master distiller at Maker's Mark, used to say that everything they did there was to banish any bitterness from their bourbon. To some, Maker's is the perfect bourbon. To others, it is a bit bland.

"Deadwood" is set in 1876 and the years immediately following, so about 20 years before the bottled in bond act, but other than that McBrayer may have been a good call. Basil Hayden was fanciful, as that brand didn't exist before 1989.

Bottled Old Forester Bourbon may have been sold in the real Deadwood. It started to be sold in bottles in 1870 and did a big business in the expanding west.

At the time of the TV series, Deadwood didn't have a railroad yet. All supplies were coming in by wagon. They would have had whiskey, possibly made in Kentucky, but just as likely made in Missouri or Illinois. It would have been shipped by rail as far as the railroads went, then the rest of the way by wagon. A town like Deadwood, which because of the mines had a few big spenders, might have gotten in some pricey bottled whiskey, but most of the whiskey--good or bad--would have come in barrels. Then the saloonkeepers would tamper with it to make it go as far as possible. Bottles were used for serving and filled from the barrel. You probably would have seen a lot more jugs than bottles.

I don't blame a series like "Deadwood," even though it strives to be realistic, for using the bottled whiskey paradigm, since that's what the audience expects to see, even if it's not accurate.

"Smooth" is a word I generally regard as meaningless when referring to whiskey. It's what people say when they can't think of anything to say.

But if it applies to any bourbon, that bourbon would be Maker's Mark.

Dave Pickerell, former master distiller at Maker's Mark, used to say that everything they did there was to banish any bitterness from their bourbon. To some, Maker's is the perfect bourbon. To others, it is a bit bland.

"Deadwood" is set in 1876 and the years immediately following, so about 20 years before the bottled in bond act, but other than that McBrayer may have been a good call. Basil Hayden was fanciful, as that brand didn't exist before 1989.

Bottled Old Forester Bourbon may have been sold in the real Deadwood. It started to be sold in bottles in 1870 and did a big business in the expanding west.

At the time of the TV series, Deadwood didn't have a railroad yet. All supplies were coming in by wagon. They would have had whiskey, possibly made in Kentucky, but just as likely made in Missouri or Illinois. It would have been shipped by rail as far as the railroads went, then the rest of the way by wagon. A town like Deadwood, which because of the mines had a few big spenders, might have gotten in some pricey bottled whiskey, but most of the whiskey--good or bad--would have come in barrels. Then the saloonkeepers would tamper with it to make it go as far as possible. Bottles were used for serving and filled from the barrel. You probably would have seen a lot more jugs than bottles.

I don't blame a series like "Deadwood," even though it strives to be realistic, for using the bottled whiskey paradigm, since that's what the audience expects to see, even if it's not accurate.