Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

Saw some bourbon drinking in The Cinncinnati Kid yesterday. It was only referred to as bourbon and was in a glass decanter.

You spotted the goof! Oh, and awesome info, thanks!

BTW, I just got done watching last night's episode on my HD recorder. Al Swearengen was drinking from an Old Weller bottle! I take it they 'goofed' again, and that particular brand wasn't available then, either?

If you're keepin' tabs...

1. Basil Hayden's

2. Old McBrayer

3. Old Weller

Funny how I only started keeping tabs on what bourbon they were drinking when I got the idea to try a bourbon this year for the holidays. :grin:

W. L. Weller and his brother started selling whiskey in 1849, so there could have been whiskey in Deadwood that orginated with Weller's company, it just most likely was not in the form of a bottle labeled Old Weller.

Another "mistake," if you want to call it that, is that if anyone in town was selling bottled bourbon it would have been Sheriff Bullock. Bottled whiskey that early likely would have been a general store item. At the saloon you brought your own jug and filled it from the barrel.

....At the saloon you brought your own jug and filled it from the barrel.

Aside from the adulteration that went on back then, I really like that idea. In fact, I wish we could do that sort of thing now-days.

Aside from the adulteration that went on back then, I really like that idea. In fact, I wish we could do that sort of thing now-days.

We have a beer brewer in town that does that. Buy one of his cool looking jugs, and fill it up whenever you want. You even get a discount.

Again, thanks for the info, cowdery. I was wondering how you knew so much, and clicked on your link in your sig! It's nice to put a face to the name! And your blog is excellent; so filled with valuable information! It should be helpful as I learn more about bourbon.

We have a beer brewer in town that does that. Buy one of his cool looking jugs, and fill it up whenever you want. You even get a discount.

Again, thanks for the info, cowdery. I was wondering how you knew so much, and clicked on your link in your sig! It's nice to put a face to the name! And your blog is excellent; so filled with valuable information! It should be helpful as I learn more about bourbon.

His book is a good read as well and very informative.

Watching "Murder by Contract" (1958) last night and it showed a bottle of Old Forester in two different scenes. It was interesting that the only people drinking on screen were the female characters.

A guy in a Santa suit ducks into Ricky's room at the hospital to tease him and have a few drinks from a little bottle of Jim Beam White in Silent Night, Deadly Night III: Better Watch Out. Little does he know his teasing (and maybe the smell of JB White...) will awake Ricky from his coma and re-start the killing spree.

In The Box there is one scene where one of the characters is standing in front of the bar and behind him you can make out a bottle of JB White.

There are a bunch of Maker's Mark bottles in a cabinet in the movie Friday the 13th (2009) however the finder opts to take a few slugs from a bottle of scotch instead.

In the new episodes of Pawn Stars (History HD) that aired today, they had a guy who sold an old prohibition bottle of Old Taylor. It had "For Medicinal Purposes" on the bottle and on the box. The box also had a window for the Dr. prescription. The pawn shop bought it for $100. This show repeats during the week if you want to catch it.

In the new episodes of Pawn Stars (History HD) that aired today, they had a guy who sold an old prohibition bottle of Old Taylor. It had "For Medicinal Purposes" on the bottle and on the box. The box also had a window for the Dr. prescription. The pawn shop bought it for $100. This show repeats during the week if you want to catch it.

I was going to add this to the list but you beat me to it. I believe he paid 200.00 dollars for the bottle and states he does not know its worth but thought it was cool. Problem is it is illeagl for him to resell it and though I have never seen one for sale it does seem that was a bit much to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

A few recent spottings:

A bottle of Jim Beam White is beside Burt as he plays his guitar, Chief Tate even stops by to have some (+ show off the vampire and the dead body in his car), in Vampire Whores from Outer Space.

It's not quite bourbon but I suppose it's worth mentioning that Agent Lee is seen sitting on a couch with a bottle of Jack Daniels next to him as his supervisor tells him he's being transferred to PA in Fist of the Vampire.

In National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure no specific brand is named but Catherine mentions there being a couple of bottles of bourbon with the food they had left after they crash on the island. Later in the movie we learn to make a new bourbon drink from Eddie: 3 parts coconut milk, 2 parts bug juice, 6 parts bourbon, a little bannanna peel (for texture), a tootsie roll, and some sun screen.

In an episode of Two and a half men where Charlie is dating an older women. Towards the end of the show she answers the door drunk with a bottle of Wild Turkey in her hand and drinks from it.

• 2 weeks later...

A fer more:

There's Jim Beam White and Four Roses (might be the blend) on the bar at the party in Dial: Help.

Sunday Morgan meets Detective Sergeant Steven Danko at a bar where he's seen drinking Budweiser and shots of Jim Beam White in Brainiac.

• 2 weeks later...

After a bad opening day Mike Spencer knocks back some Early Times in his office in Funland. It's not quite bourbon but it's nice to see something other than Jim Beam!

In "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", the scene where Benjamin and his father first meet. His father orders a Sazerac for both him and Benjamin. They also look to be using whisky snifters like the Glencairn.

I searched the thread and was surprised I didn't find Blue Velvet mentioned for Frank's demand "Where's my bourbon!?!"

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I thought it looked like a bottle of Jim Beam white label he's brought.

Alright, this isn't a movie, it's a TV show, but since we've discussed others, I trust I'm not too far off-topic.

I've been watching old episodes of Miami Vice and Crockett (Don Johnson) orders bourbon fairly often. He doesn't specify a brand, but whether in a bar, restaurant, or even a clothing store (no joke -- the episode is called "The Great McCarthy") he's barking for bourbon. He also asks for "Jack Black," which I assume is a TV-friendly name for Jack Daniels.

Oh, and Crockett usually pairs his bourbon with an unfiltered Lucky Strike. Those were different days.

in the movie office space a bottle of Wild Turkey can be seen on the coffee table the next morning after a party at Peter's apartment.

The other movie is The Sting. Robert Redford's character as well as Paul Newman's both drink. And they keep changing their booze. When Paul Newman is playing cards with Doyle, he's drinking 'cut' gin. Then later at the horse betting parlor it looks like he's drinking bourbon. But Redford is said to drink Scotch. Nonetheless, a great bourbon movie.

I was watching this the other night and there was a scene where there is a huge Ezra Brooks Bourbon billboard at the end of a road outside of a cafe which is featured numerous times.

Anybody seen Crazy Heart? Jeff Bridges character downs a few bourbons before getting himself straight. Good music too.

Mclures anyone?

Craig

This is such a massive thread, I can't be sure this if this has been mentioned, but Kurt Russell has a pint of Old Grand Dad in a couple of scenes of "Dark Blue".