Bourbon in the Movies

Isoflex

My wife is re-watching all of the episodes of Quantum Leap. In the episode "Justice," someone is shown drinking out of what looks to be a 375 bottle of Old Grand-dad. The episode is set in the year 1965... But the bottle has a tamper proof ring. Also, it looks like the bottle is the label that would have been in use in the late 80s or really early 90s... The time period the show would have been filmed.

Not that I expect anyone to get the time period differences right, but I found it interesting.

• 1 month later...

In the latest episode of Justified the judge is pouring Blanton's and in previous episodes the po folk are swilling Jim Beam.

In the latest episode of Justified the judge is pouring Blanton's and in previous episodes the po folk are swilling Jim Beam.

Okay, it took me three days to wade through this thread, but I finally have done it. I wanted to mention the hilarious movie, "The Hallelujah Trail". I loved it as a kid and just rented it on Netflix and still love it.

1965, A Western with Burt Lancaster, Lee Remick, Donald Pleasance, Brian Keith. The whole movie is about whiskey. No brand and not bourbon, but still belongs here. If you have never seen it and are over 30, watch it. I laugh just thinking about it.

Okay, it took me three days to wade through this thread, but I finally have done it. I wanted to mention the hilarious movie, "The Hallelujah Trail". I loved it as a kid and just rented it on Netflix and still love it.

1965, A Western with Burt Lancaster, Lee Remick, Donald Pleasance, Brian Keith. The whole movie is about whiskey. No brand and not bourbon, but still belongs here. If you have never seen it and are over 30, watch it. I laugh just thinking about it.

Great movie. I think I mentioned it elsewhere on this board. Donald Pleasance as the blind "oracle" is hilarious. Give him a drink of whiskey, and he can see..........

Happened to be watching the classic western "Outlaw Josey Wales" last week, and near the end he busts out some whiskey in a bar in a dusty, dry (as in no alcohol) town. It's only on screen for a second but looking hard for it, I swore the bottle labels say "Red Eye." Not sure if that was supposed to be bourbon or just whiskey, but the parched patrons sure appreciated it!

In easy rider I saw on television a couple of days ago Jack Nicholson was drinking JB white from the neck like water. I have seen the film 2-3 times before but this time was the best.

Leif

In the movie "Back to the Future," one of Biff's gang spikes the punch bowl at the dance with a bottle of "Early Times." :slappin:

In the movie "Back to the Future," one of Biff's gang spikes the punch bowl at the dance with a bottle of "Early Times." :slappin:

That's a neat little play on words/circumstance.

Movie called "New in Town" - forgetful but playing on the bus from NYC to Boston - Guys drinking beer out of bottles but when there a serious moment, one of the guys asked for "Makers Mark up" of course, he was poured a neat shot, not served "up"

in an episode of Treme, a japanese guy orders Sazerac in one of the main character's bar. and she apologizes and says they dont have anything that fancy.

in an episode of Treme, a japanese guy orders Sazerac in one of the main character's bar. and she apologizes and says they dont have anything that fancy.

I think that's the first time I've heard of Saz being referenced in a TV program or movie. (I don't know what Treme is) Baby Saz is such a handsome bottle I'm surprised it hasn't been used as a prop before.

When he ordered a Sazerac, did he order the whiskey or the cocktail? I'm guessing the cocktail, as it is the official cocktail of Louisiana.

BTW, Treme is a show about New Orleans rebuilding after the hurricane.

When he ordered a Sazerac, did he order the whiskey or the cocktail? I'm guessing the cocktail, as it is the official cocktail of Louisiana.

BTW, Treme is a show about New Orleans rebuilding after the hurricane.

Great movie. Have not seen it in years. Der Teufel-Brigade.

i thought about whether or not the Sazerac order was the whiskey or the cocktail. but i thought he meant the whiskey, since he was wealthy and the japanese do love some whiskey. also, if it was the cocktail, i assumed she would have been able to serve it since its common. i thought she just didnt have pricey whiskies on hand.

but i suppose its up for interpretation.

Vince orders bourbon on the rocks at a bar towards the end of Date for a Murder.

Not a movie, but in the TV series Modern Family, Ed O'neill is at a bar and has a drink. Couldn't be sure, but I believe it was BT. Joe

• 4 weeks later...

In progress tonight! Wild West Tech on History Channel about the prostitutes of yore...

None other than Old Weller Antique 107

Think I'll have a pour as well !

Maker's Mark on the Mythbusters TV show. Episode about a blind man driving an intoxicated friend home (apparently, recreating a story from Europe).

Jamie Hyneman, playing the role of the intoxicated friend, puts a pretty good dent in a bottle of Maker's Mark. The label is covered, but there is no mistaking the bottle. You can see it 15 seconds into the first YouTube clip below. The second clip shows the experiment/results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li6fM0fVaQM&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdPzaB2R_jY

That reminds me of something that happened a few years ago, before Booker Noe died. Booker and Fred were guests on Emeril Live (in the audience) and they had a nice little display set up with Bookers and Jim Beam, and Emeril did a lot of cooking with bourbon, but he used Maker's Mark. This was before Beam owned Maker's and they covered the label but it was the same deal. The bottle is unmistakable.

People like to say "it's just marketing," as a throw-away, but there is marketing and there is brilliant marketing. The Maker's brand is so strong that you don't need the name. The red wax does it, the bottle shape does it. Half of the name does it (Maker's 46).

Bill Samuels and his parents deserve a lot of the credit. So does Sam Cecil. So does Louisville advertising agency Doe Anderson.

• 1 month later...

Watched the DVD of A Single Man last night. (IMO, noy very good.)

The movie takes place in 1962 (the Cuban Missile crisis can be heard playing in the background). Yet , in one scene, there is a botlle of Blanton's clearly visible.