What Bourbon Are You Drinking Now? (Fall Edition 06)

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I touch of OGD 14 with a barbeque dinner.

Later on, Laphroaig 15, I love this Scotch so much my heart hurts.

Pappy 15 immediately upon arriving home from a grueling day at work.

However, the night's not over. I may have talked a friend into coming over, which may mean cracking open somethig new.....

I decided tonight that I was going to revisit some of the not so high end drinks. It seems that I have been having an awful lot of premium pours lately, and decided it was time to get back to the basics.

My first pour was an Old Overholt Rye, followed by a quite nice OGD BIB. I am now on to an Old Forester 86 proof. This an older bottling, and I am planning on pouring a current release next and comparing. Depending on how I feel (or don't feel) I may have an Old Taylor BIB (71-79) as a night cap.

Life is good. Life is real good...

P.S. After reviewing the above post, it seems that I am also having an "Old" night. I might go and browse the cabinets to see what other "Old's" I can pull out.

Enjoying my nightcap: PVW FR 23 yr old--about an ounce with a few drops of spring water (single malt style to "open it up"). I also let it sit for a few minutes and it seems smoother than right out of the bottle.

Freezing night here in the Chicago burbs--I'm warmer already.

Last night was going to be wheater night with a lot of Van Winkles but instead I decided to polish off my open bottle PVW 15. A very nice night indeed.

Finishing up a bottle of Wathens, an '06 bottling. While by my memory not the equal of some of the earlier bottlings, it is still a mighty fine pour. Wonderful, rich toffee notes.

Finishing up a bottle of Wathens, an '06 bottling. While by my memory not the equal of some of the earlier bottlings, it is still a mighty fine pour. Wonderful, rich toffee notes.

A very reassuring testimonial...he's a pretty good guy in my book (Charlie Medley) that can pick out a pretty damn good barrel of bourbon.

Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2006 is in my glass, I'm hooked on this stuff, for now at least.

Yesterday, my 8-year old son went fishing with his grandfather. They caught a fine mess of crappie. My son was very proud to have caught one fish, all by himself! He wanted me to cook them, tonight, and while I was entangled in the chores of frying fish, I had a wonderful pour of Wild Turkey Rare Breed on the rocks. It was delicious, as always. :cool:

Tim

i got this bottle earlier today, and i had to open the damn thing! (it kept starring at me) its very rare old heaven hill 10 y/o BIB. having one right now, neat. i really, really like this one. probably better than OGD BIB!

good stuff

Going "cheesy" tonight......but not the gold foil WT 12......I'm having a cheesy gold chain RHF from 1996. If you like the earthy side of BT's products, like standard BT, then you'll love this one. Its more complex than BT. I'm sure that's why it is in many people's top 5/10 lists.

Randy

Tim,

Congratulations to two fine fishermen!

I was always doing well to catch enough for a man-size sandwich, and I fished mainly in spring and early summer.

In my glass tonight is Wild Turkey 101, the one bottling that is always on my shelf.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave, I am not a fisherman, but my inlaws border on being professional crappie fishers. Not really, but it is a real passion for them. They pretty much fish exclusively in late Fall and early Spring.

Tim

I'm in the middle of my very first pour of Pappy Van Winkel's Family Reserve, 15 years old. I'm starting to get a pretty good idea of why everyone raves about it. To tell the truth, I had gotten myself so fired up about getting it that I was almost afraid to taste it. No worries!

It's going to be hard to keep this for special occasions.

I'm still a novice bourbon drinker, but I'm having fun!

Jeff

I'm in the middle of my very first pour of Pappy Van Winkel's Family Reserve, 15 years old. I'm starting to get a pretty good idea of why everyone raves about it. To tell the truth, I had gotten myself so fired up about getting it that I was almost afraid to taste it. No worries!

It's going to be hard to keep this for special occasions.

I'm still a novice bourbon drinker, but I'm having fun!

Jeff

Pair it up with a nice cigar or a pipe and it gets even better :cool:

I happened to revisit that one last night. To my surprise I found it to be overwhelming. I don't recall ever adding water to a Van Winkle product before, but last night it was called for.

I made no attempt to measure the amount of Arizona well water I added, but I'm guessing I reduced the proof by 10-15 points. It still tasted marvelous but without the shock effect.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Could not post this the exact day I was drinking it.

Saturday was my wife's 50th birthday, we had friends over and I opened a few I have been saving for a special occasion.

George T Stagg, 2004 release, 129 proof

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, bottled Sept 3, 2004

Very Special Old Fitzgerald, 12 year old

I made a few new converts to bourbon, the Ladies liked the Old Fitz the best, the Gentlemen liked the the KY Spirit the best.

I had the grill going with chicken, and dishes and other beverages were brought in. Sunday morning I checked the recycle bin and found,...

2 bottles of Coppola Pinot Grigio

2 bottles of L. Mawby Blanc de Blanc

2 bottles of Mont-Perat Bordeaux, 2000

1 bottle of Chateau Peyre-Lebade Haut-Medoc, 2002

1 bottle of Sanford Pinot Noir, 2002

And this one bottle, all the way from Australia, a Muscat by R.L.Buller& Son, I did have some of this and I must say I was impressed. I do not like sweet wines, but this was very nice, it had a rich deapness that I have never known before.

But one was enough, I went back to the Stagg.

Several people needed water with the Stagg and the KY Spirit, I drank it neat, and I think I will have to give the nod to the KY Spirit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.