What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer '07

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I went to the liquor store today to pick up some JB Black since I have never tried it, and to get my father-in-law a bottle of Aberlour Abunadh. The store had some nice bottles that tempted me. They had some Black Maple Hill 14 ($68.20), Rock Hill Farms ($45.85), Hancocks Reserve ($50.05) AH Hirsch 16 ($114.00), and a nice supply of ETL which I always enjoy.

I was tempted by the Rock Hill and the Hancocks. I am almost through my Rock Hill Farms, and have never tried the Hancocks. The Black Maple Hill and Hirsch are just more than I wanted to spend. So what did I walk away with...Bernheim Original! I have only seen it once before here in WA. so it caught my eye. Something different I guess, and at $42 even if it's not great, it was not a costly mistake. I did get the JB Black and Aberlour as well, but I wanted to give this a try.

:toast:

If it were up to me, I'd take the RHF over the Hancock any day... particularly at the price quoted for the Hancock ---- seems rather high.

If it were up to me, I'd take the RHF over the Hancock any day... particularly at the price quoted for the Hancock ---- seems rather high.

I have a bottle of the RHF and I have enjoyed it. Hancock's is one that is not always on the shelf...but at $50 it runs into stiff competition with Bookers, one of my favorites. PVW 15 is also around $50 but I have not seen it on the shelf here in some time.

I do enjoy trying new bottles, and I am sure I will end up with the Hancocks eventually, maybe even a bottle of the Black Maple Hill. The Hirsch is just a little excessive for me price wise. I will have to see if our big Bourbon bar in Seattle carries it and give it a try there.

There are still a few bottles (ORVW 10, Old Charter 12, Henry Mckenna SB) I want to try that are in the $20-$30 price range, and since I have not really disliked any bottles I have had so far, its hard to pay the big bucks (at least by my standards thats anything over $50) for one single bottle. I am just getting into my overtime season at work, so who knows what will turn up on the shelf?

I went to the liquor store today to pick up some JB Black since I have never tried it, and to get my father-in-law a bottle of Aberlour Abunadh. The store had some nice bottles that tempted me. They had some Black Maple Hill 14 ($68.20), Rock Hill Farms ($45.85), Hancocks Reserve ($50.05) AH Hirsch 16 ($114.00), and a nice supply of ETL which I always enjoy.

I was tempted by the Rock Hill and the Hancocks. I am almost through my Rock Hill Farms, and have never tried the Hancocks. The Black Maple Hill and Hirsch are just more than I wanted to spend. So what did I walk away with...Bernheim Original! I have only seen it once before here in WA. so it caught my eye. Something different I guess, and at $42 even if it's not great, it was not a costly mistake. I did get the JB Black and Aberlour as well, but I wanted to give this a try.

:toast:

The Bernheim is a really good wheated whiskey in my opinion. A little steep on the price though. I wait for the ABC to put it on sale and usually pick it up for $29.

6 bottles of WTRR 101 :grin::grin:

Dawn

Three bottles of I.W. Harper - all with faux tax strips / 88076 UPC's:

- Two are I.W. Harper 99 proof, 1 750ml and 1 375 ml. - a nicely matched pair.

- One I.W. Harper 80 proof, 375 ml.

All three at the same shop and covered with really thick dusty coats. :cool:

~tp

6 bottles of WTRR 101 :grin::grin:

Dawn

That's a really nice bunching-o-turkeys!

Mind sharing the prices? I see them here in Houston pretty regularly, but only purchase them when they're $21 or less. Slowly working my way through one stores supply of them at $18 per bottle!:grin:

~tp

Slowly working my way through one stores supply of them!:grin:

~tp

Yup....me too!

Dawn

Damn you all with your never-ending supplies of RR101! :lol:

I think I'm going to have to do some searching this weekend to see if I can locate any.

As a distraction from recent events, I've been staying out of the house, despite being off of work for the summer. I went dusty bottle hunting today.

1 pint tax-strip Mellow Mash, apparent bottle date of 1979.

1 750mL Old Taylor 101-proof (black label - never seen it), apparent bottle date of 1979

Left more of the Mellow Mash for another time, as well as some Champion with an 8-yr. age statement, tax-stripped Boodles gin at 94.4 proof, several ND OGD 114 half-pints, and a few other cats and dogs I have multiples of.

Also bought a 750mL Talisker 12-yr with a bottle date of 1979 - $18

A nice pick-me-up purchase, all from one store. I'll be back.

Rittenhouse BIB finally made it to my local shelves, so I bought one of those.

For around $18...it's a good Rye.

For around $18...it's a good Rye.

For $11.99, it's an even better rye!! (Binny's price)

Scott

For $11.99, it's an even better rye!! (Binny's price)

Scott

Too true Scott. Unfortunately, I used to be able to get the Rittenhouse for $14, then it went up and up. The last bottle was purchased in D.C. where prices are somewhat higher on some items.

Two more bottles of WTRR 101 and one WT Rye. I was completely out of the latter.

I'd love to read what you think about the Drum. I kept looking at it over at Binny's but decided against buying it. Maybe you'll change my mind?

I'd love to read what you think about the Drum. I kept looking at it over at Binny's but decided against buying it. Maybe you'll change my mind?

I asked Brett for a recommendation once when I was looking for something different, and he suggested the 15yo Drum. I found something I actually had wanted for a while, and purchased that instead. I would imagine if it is a product that Brett recommends, it would be pretty good. I have never gone wrong with anything he has suggested before.

Scott

Picked up a handle of Old Charter 8 and another of Wellers 12 on sale. Father's Day sales rock.

Four Roses Single Barrel (86 proof Euro version)

Pikesville Rye

Scott

Well, I didn't so much buy it as receive it as a gift. My wife gave me a bottle of PVW 23 for my birthday! Woo hoo! :grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.