What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer '07

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I see that the EC12 is on sale again this month. That would be the 1.75L bottle for 26.99. A better bargain can not be found (IMHO). I shall be stopping this evening.

WT Rye.

Old Charter 12 b/c the place I buy this apparently hasn't gotten wind of the price hike that has affected OC everywhere else: $15.99! Woo-hoo!

Also snagged a Tanqueray Malacca, a gin they produced for only a short time and gave up on a few years ago.

I left behind (at two different stores) an EWSB 1989 and a Booker's Tribute, both of which I have only a vague interest in actually drinking (I like Booker's, but I have a bottle open right now and the whiskey in the tribute is no different, right?). May go back for both.

I'm currently in the flood plains of southern Oklahoma for a family reunion. My girlfriend's flight was delayed by around five hours which gave me a chance to poke around old liquor stores. In addition to the Pappy 20 that my cousin was holding for me down here, I'll be bringing back a Weller Centennial (Louisville), 2 Wathens '99s, a Jefferson Reserve 15 yr., 3 Saz 18 '01s, 2 ORVW 15s, and and an Ezra Brooks 15. Since none of my family drink, I guess I'll be toasting their health by myself at the local Best Western.

-Mike

I'm impressed. I have never seen any of that except the Ezra 15 and JR 15 for sale in any store in Oklahoma. I guess I'm going to have to get out and look a little harder. Nice work.

Picked up 6 bottles of PVW 20, 3 bottles of Wild Turkey Rye, and 3 bottles of Old Weller Antique. The PVW 20 is really an outstanding wheated bourbon. I taste cherries while drinking the PVW 20, which is something that I have never experienced while drinking other bourbons. The Wild Turkey Rye is a fine "everyday pour" for me. Although the Rittenhouse rye is cheaper than the Wild Turkey, for me the extra cost of the WT rye is worth it. I haven't had a chance to try the Old Weller Antique yet, but based on what I've read on this forum, it should be very good indeed.

Hope those 6 PVW 20's last you a while, unless you're having a party and feeling generous. I went through almost 2 bottles at a party in January. I also get a hint of vanilla in it. It's a favorite around here.

Went to the store to grab another bottle of Weller Antique but wound up coming home with a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB instead. I figured it was time to expand my American whiskey horizons a bit. A good deal at only $13; most noticeable to me is the cinnamon in the nose and taste.

Today I got off work early, so I decided to take a detour on the way home to check some liquor stores that I hadn't checked since before my recently aquired bourbon obsession.

At one store I found and bought two Pappy Van Winkle 15yo's, an ORVW 15/107, an ORVW 10/107, and an ORVW 'Very Special Stock' 10/90.4. The prices were fair to begin with, but I haggled a 10% discount for buying them all which made it a good deal.

I'd never seen nor heard of the ORVWVSS so I had to pick it up. Tonight I did a search here and found this thread started by Doubleblank:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4703

It's exactly as Randy described in the above thread (no front label, etc.), except it was distilled in late 1992 instead of 1994. Oh, and it wasn't in a red bag either. The store owner said they sent it to him by mistake when he had ordered some other VW 10yo.

And I just told myself I was gonna hold off buying any more for awhile.

Buffalo Trace is finally availabe here in Albuquerque, so I picked up a bottle today. I was pretty pleased to see it.

Went to the store to grab another bottle of Weller Antique but wound up coming home with a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye BIB instead. I figured it was time to expand my American whiskey horizons a bit. A good deal at only $13; most noticeable to me is the cinnamon in the nose and taste.

Both of those are fine choices at a great pricepoint. I found the Weller Antique for $15 a bottle the other day...cheapest I've paid so far.

Both of those are fine choices at a great pricepoint. I found the Weller Antique for $15 a bottle the other day...cheapest I've paid so far.

Definitely, the Weller Antique is one of my favorites. $15 is a good deal, the cheapest I've seen this bottle for is $19.50. Not a lot of stores carry it but most around here that do have it priced a little under $25. It's crazy how much the prices can vary even on these mid-shelf bottles, I'd still pay $25 for the Weller Antique if I had to though.

I'd still pay $25 for the Weller Antique if I had to though.

I opened up a bottle yesterday and the same thought struck me, although my thought was a tad more expensive than yours. I was thinking $30 would neither surprise nor dissuade me. (Don't tell BT, though).

This week, I picked up another bottle of Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve.

I'm stocking up while they are in plentiful supply here....

With all the new SB'ers here in Houston cleaning off the shelves of SW whiskey, I went and emptied a local store of those one liter Weller Antique 107's from Louisville. They had been there awhile, so it was time.

Hey Gus, here's a pic of how that VW Special Stock 90.4 proof bottles look when you get the personalized labels done.

post-379-14489813173993_thumb.jpg

I also picked up a Louisville Weller 107 liter here in Dallas. Left one with a good bit of evaporation. Got a 200mL of Beam black 7yr/90proof up the road from that.

doublebank,

I’ll try to keep a few bottles on the shelf for you! :grin: But seriously, I’m typically looking more for Scotch whisky, although I am beginning to really enjoy the American whiskeys. I do look out for different bourbons and ryes. If there’s anything you (or any of the other SB’ers in Houston) would like me to keep an eye out for, please let me know.

Bob

With all the new SB'ers here in Houston cleaning off the shelves of SW whiskey, I went and emptied a local store of those one liter Weller Antique 107's from Louisville. They had been there awhile, so it was time.

Hey Gus, here's a pic of how that VW Special Stock 90.4 proof bottles look when you get the personalized labels done.

That's nice, Randy, I wonder if it's too late to order a label for mine. PM to you about some more old bottles of Weller 107.

I hit the Ft Myer commissary in Arlington today with a friend. Picked up a couple of bottles:

Balvenie 12 year Doublewood - $47

Don Eduardo Anejo Tequila - $30

Henry McKenna BIB - $22

EWSB 1996 - $19

Figured the prices were pretty darn good and a little hard to pass up.

I hit the Ft Myer commissary in Arlington today with a friend. Picked up a couple of bottles:

Balvenie 12 year Doublewood - $47

Don Eduardo Anejo Tequila - $30

Henry McKenna BIB - $22

EWSB 1996 - $19

Figured the prices were pretty darn good and a little hard to pass up.

Commissary prices are one of the few things I miss from my time in uniform...

~tp

The closest to bourbon in today's purchases: Dickel Barrel Select.

The farthest from bourbon: a spare bottle of Punt e Mes.

In between: a bottle of Wiser's 10yo Canadian.

The local Bevmo was closing out BMH 18 year rye, at $53.99!! :skep: Managed to get 10% off of that; therefore brought home the 2 bottles they had. :grin: Very nice! :grin:

Found a dusty bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 15yo yesterday for $44. Also looked real hard at an A H Hirsch 16yo gold foil version @ $99.

Was lucky enough to find:

2 Weller Centennial Louisville (BHC)

1 George Dickel (BHC)

I have finally found all BHC bottlings.

Hurray...Bourbon!

Congrats on the BHC acquisitions.

I picked up another WTRR101 today. 6 bunkered now. :cool:

Also, I found a store (or rather, revisited a store) that has no dusties but great prices on current stuff. Their regular price for (BT) Old Weller 107 - $17.99. I couldn't pass that up. Plus, I finished off a S-W Old Fitz last night so I was due for a wheater (I typically have only one wheater open out of 10-12 American whiskeys - I can't help it I'm a rye fiend).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.