What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Woodford Reserve. Having read some unflattering posts, I tried it at a local watering hole. It has not changed at all, and I haven't tasted it in 3 months.

Not my first choice.

Also ... There's nothing wrong going on at all.

I discovered something neat the other night. Did a Gillmanisation of equal parts Jack Daniels and Canadian Club 12yo, mixed with lemonade. Superb!

Tonight I started with 1792 Ridgemont Reserve and moved onto Blanton's.

Next I might go for some Rye......although that bottle of Stagg is awfully full........:skep:

Scott

I had my first taste of Eagle Rare SB 10yo. I found it mild, undistinguished; while I didn't dislike it, I was definitely expecting something more given all the discussion it gets here on SB.com.

Larry

what a week. kids were nuts. the holiday fever won't let them focus!

i've been away from my other favorite beverage, beer/ale, and so got some Shiner's Bock. an old favorite. i still love Yuengling Lager, but this one hit the spot.

but after one bottle, i had to go back and take a shot of OGD BIB. i am now bowing to the grand ole man. i appreciate his flavor profile more and realize i like wheaters more than what OGD offers...but now i am getting a good sense of what that kind of mashbill has to offer. nice to find the horizons widening and deeping on the palate!

and just now, enjoying a really balanced vatting i've been playing with all week:

2/3 Eagle Rare SB 10

1/3 (new) Michter's SBatch Bourbon

it works!

I'm doing a small side-by-side comparison of 2006 and 2007 Thomas Handy Ryes. I don't have one of those golden palates that can detect and describe lots of different flavors in whiskey, so this has just turned into a not-so clever way to kill two drinks at the same time. All my taste buds tell me is that I love this stuff and "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"

OK, OscarV just left and we tasted a few bottles tonight. WTAS, WTKS, 2007 TH Handy, WTRB 1999, and then Oscar says I think I'll try the 2007 Weller. Not my favorite so he goes to use the mens room and I open a Weller 10 yr. Centennial L'ville bottle, if he's having Weller I'm having Weller. When he finished the 2007 WLW we had the Centennial, WOW and double WOW. This was the bottle of the evening and I will be on the look out for L'ville Centennials now. This bottle is full of Brach's Butterscotch candy. Just loving it.

Tony

Small dram of The Dalmore 12 SMS. Not great, but nice with a little snack. Gonna run back to the house in a few for a healthy pour of FR Small Batch, maybe I'll even open up the SB. Big snowstorm coming tomorrow night, nice to be snowed in with some dependable pours.

Cheers!

TBoner drinkin'

Laphroaig 10.

Ardbeg 10.

Man, a peaty night. I commend you. I can't go past Lagavulin and Bowmore.

BTW, have you seen the Lagavulin Distillers Edition? It's at Binnys. I had someone get me a bottle in London several months ago when it seemed it wouldn't be available here.

It's mid-afternoon and I'm sitting by the fire watching the sleet outside. Already been out twice to shovel the slush my driveway (and helping my neighbor with his).

Soothing my aching bones with a healthy pour of FR 40th Anniversary. (taken internaly, not topically)

Late afternoon, watching the lousy weather outside. After some microsips of some vattings I'm working on I poured a little 1970's/80's bonded Old-Grandad.

The taste is rich and concentrated with edges of cured wood and smoke. There is some spice in there but very well-integrated with the rest. Sweetish and caramel-rich. I remember this taste from 30 years ago (in American restaurants, say Jack's in Albany) even though then I would have it on the rocks.

I cannot really connect it to the current OG. I wonder if part of it is aging, maybe this oldster was put away for 10 years despite the lack of an age statement. It tastes older than four years for sure.

If Beam could recreate this it would be a superstar.

If there are two things I would do at Beam, that would be one of them. The other would be to offer a bonded rye whiskey of 6-8 years of age.

Gary

Gary,

Isn't there something especially nice about sipping bourbon on a wintery Saturday afternoon?

Watching the cold, driving rain out the window with 100 proof Forester in hand. Gonna get the fireplace started when next I stir.

Squire

I hit the WT American Spirit last night. I said that it wasn't my favorite turkey to begin with, but this pour is really growing on me. I would have said I preferred KS, but now I don't know.......

Really opens up with a cube or 2!

Scott

OK, OscarV just left and we tasted a few bottles tonight. WTAS, WTKS, 2007 TH Handy, WTRB 1999, and then Oscar says I think I'll try the 2007 Weller. Not my favorite so he goes to use the mens room and I open a Weller 10 yr. Centennial L'ville bottle, if he's having Weller I'm having Weller. When he finished the 2007 WLW we had the Centennial, WOW and double WOW. This was the bottle of the evening and I will be on the look out for L'ville Centennials now. This bottle is full of Brach's Butterscotch candy. Just loving it.

Tony

Yeah that Centennial Weller was an amazing bottle.

We kept tasting it and looking at each other in disbelief and mumbling, "butterscotch candy".

I also liked the '07 WLW from the BTAC very much.

The Rare Breed was classy as usual and the Kentucky Spirit pewter top was the best I ever had.

Hey Tony, it was a nice ride home. After the afternoon drive there the night drive back was a breeze.

Great to hear!

I'm back in the Weller tonight :grin: and it is still Brach's candy! I have a feeling this bottle and the WTKS will both be empty by holliday end.

No traffic on the way home is always nice.

Talk to you soon...Oh yeah I got you a Centennial L'Ville today.

Tony

I had my first taste of Eagle Rare SB 10yo. I found it mild, undistinguished; while I didn't dislike it, I was definitely expecting something more given all the discussion it gets here on SB.com.

Larry

Larry, I'm guessing you got your hands on the 90 Proof version. And, while I believe that the 90 has many fans, most of the positive reviews I have read regardin ER 10 has been the 101 Proof version which is no longer in production, from what I understand.

Mark

Last night, me and my girlfriend had a bit of a tasting. We put a wheater (Weller 12yo) against a rye recipe (OC 12yo). She really liked the Weller 12, I really liked them both. Tonight is Beam night. Began with a rare pour of Booker's followed by a pour of Knob Creek. I much prefer the darker flavor of the KC to the brighter, spicier flavor of Booker's. (At least that is my impression of the two.)

Last night was a visit to Tim, and an amazing assortment of whiskies. Thanks Tim, it was good to see you again.

This evening it's a Woodford Reserve Personal Selection and a book to relax. It's cold up north, I shoulda stayed where it's warm!

OGD 114. I have been thwarted from Christmas shopping for the past three weekends. I had intended on going out tonight to the 24 hour Super Wall-mart but its snowing so I think I'll stay here and drink.:grin:

Some George T Stagg neat in a glass. Since this way my first taste I was prepared to add water or ice to drink it at a reasonable proof. However, I never felt the nned.

My wife bought me a bottle for my birthday which was yesterday. One heck of gift. Excellant whiskey. I get none of the barnyard oder that some here have described. Quite the opposite I get vanilla and pumpkin spice. Hopefully there will be some Thomas Handy under tree this year.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.