What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As the snow came down here in the northern Chicago 'burbs last night, too, I felt it was time to open the bunkered Pappy 23. Pappy 15 and a few other favorites look on from the corner of the bar.

DSCN0944.jpg

After battling the wax, I was finally able to enjoy it in a snifter. Looking forward to the next bottling that I think will be next spring.

DSCN0945.jpg

Hi guys, I'm new here. It's blowing up a gale here in Delaware, but I'm snug inside with the dog at my feet. Tonight I learned via IM that a Canadian friend has brought another bottle of Alberta Premium in to the US for me, so my first glass was 2 ozs of that.

The AP seems a bit too characterless—its acetone nose aside—tonight, so the next glass is going to be 25% Old Overholt, 25% OGD BIB, 50% Alberta Premium, and we'll see how it goes.

Cheers!

Sounds like an excellent vatting.

Coincidentally, I used Alberta Premium in a vatting earlier tonight also. I started with a combination of Pappy 15, Weller 107 and Rutledge FRSB (in diminishing amounts, maybe 3:2:1) and added a dash of a 64% ABV absinthe, plus a flat teaspoon of brown sugar, and bitters, to make a Sazerac cocktail.

It was good but it needed something to smooth it out and the Alberta Premium worked very well for this purpose. (I had added ice first but it still needed adjustment). The ratio I used was 3:1 the straight whiskeys to the Canadian one.

While all-rye derived, Alberta Premium is made largely from a neutral-oriented high proof distillate in which the rye taste will mostly have been rectified out. True, some 10% (perhaps more) of the blend is a flavorsome low-proof all-rye whisky, but I find its influence in the final blend quite restrained. Adding bourbon or U.S. rye can improve it quite a bit for those looking for a more typically straight whisky palate. However, I used the Canadian whisky in the cocktail in the opposite way: to lighten and better integrate ("display" in Scots blending terminology) the straights. It is remarkable how this simple addition brought the drink into the correct balance (for me).

I do like though occasionally the Alberta Premium on its own. Its older versions can be quite good too since they take a lot of character from the wood. I used the regular Alberta Premium in the Sazerac. There was enough wood in there already.

Of course many Sazeracs wouldn't need it. I would think e.g., one made with a sweetish, well-balanced, bourbon or say Russel's Reserve rye would be fine on its own. I have such whiskeys but prefer to reserve them for neat drinking.

Gary

Thanks, Gary. This *is* turning out delicious. One of the things I almost always pick up distinctly from AP is cocoa, especially in the finish. This combo tasted something like a softened OGD (the OGD, with its barrel and spice, dominates, but it is 'softer' probably in part due to the lower proof of the blend) with that AP cocoa finish intact. If anything, the cocoa lingers longer on the palate.

It was immediately very palatable and I said to myself, "I will have to make this again!"

Interesting, thanks. I know what you mean about the cocoa, I think that is an effect from the particular kind of barrel aging used by the distillery and which is evident even in the regular Alberta Premium. I would think the distillery probably uses a combination of reused and some new charred wood barrels.

This is the main thing I find with Canadian whisky, that it sometimes gets a lot of character from the barrels. Apart from the barrels, it will get character from the percentage of low-proof, "straight" whiskies used in the blend.

I would think the OGD tasted softer in the blend not just because of lowering of proof but also (which is the "display" factor) that the heavy spice of the OGD and Overholt are being lessened due to the AP being relatively neutral as compared to those.

Gary

Gary, I know where you're coming from on the RR Rye and neat sipping, but trust me, you need to make a Sazerac with it. Spectacular.

As for me, I'm not drinking yet. I'm taking a break from installing a new hot water heater to let my hands thaw.

Now, I'm pretty warm, so back to it...

I am in full agreement Tim. I meant only that I have a limited supply of the RR rye! Still, I will try it, based on your recommendation!

Gary

Tonight it's FR1B, if for no other reason than to break in the new nomenclature. Feels good to be on the cutting edge.

Good suggestion, Chuck.

Cheers!

This evening, it was a wonderful tasting of hard to come by bottlings.

Started of with FR40th, then had a generous pour of Evan Williams 23yo from a like minded individual...and what do you know I vatted the remainder of both. Both bottlings have their own idiosyncratic personalities. When vatted, they lost that aspect and became a very nice dram, though leaning to the deeper, darker side.

This evening, it was a wonderful tasting of hard to come by bottlings.

Started of with FR40th, then had a generous pour of Evan Williams 23yo from a like minded individual...and what do you know I vatted the remainder of both. Both bottlings have their own idiosyncratic personalities. When vatted, they lost that aspect and became a very nice dram, though leaning to the deeper, darker side.

Have you compared the FR40th with the 1B? I know that the 40th had a variety of proofs, but I'd be curious to know your impressions of both. What's the proof of your 40th?

Here's to ya.

Cheers!

OGD BIB with a splash of water. My first bottle is almost gone. I've had a turbulent love/hate relationship with this bottle due to my bias toward better aged bourbons. But this lively and flavorful Jim Beam production has proven to me that an enjoyable bourbon of exceptional quality does not need to be associated with numerous years in the barrel. I cannot speak for the much lauded ND production, as I have never had it, but JB has got a good thing going here. My thanks to you, Jim Beam. I am already looking forward to my next bottle. Please, keep up the good work.

Mark, you're correct: the ERSB I have is 90 proof. You said you think the 100 is out of production ... does that mean it MAY still be available? (One of the frustrating things about SB.com and this wider and unfamiliar world of bourbon I've started to explore -- and I mean this as an observation, not a complaint -- is that it can be tough for a relative newbie like me to keep all the bottlings and expressions straight. All part of the learning process, I guess.)

Anyway, back on topic and catching up a bit: Saturday night it was WTRB (golly, that is some tasty stuff!) and last night it was EC12 (ditto).

Larry

Mark, you're correct: the ERSB I have is 90 proof. You said you think the 100 is out of production ... does that mean it MAY still be available? (One of the frustrating things about SB.com and this wider and unfamiliar world of bourbon I've started to explore -- and I mean this as an observation, not a complaint -- is that it can be tough for a relative newbie like me to keep all the bottlings and expressions straight. All part of the learning process, I guess.)

Anyway, back on topic and catching up a bit: Saturday night it was WTRB (golly, that is some tasty stuff!) and last night it was EC12 (ditto).

Larry

Larry, by no means am I an expert but I would definitely say that there are some bottles of the ERSB 101 to be found. It's just going to be a bit harder for you to find them. As for me, I've never come accross even one. But, I do believ Tony (ACDetroit) has found some.

To your point on keeping up with different expressions of the same bourbon, etc. Yes, it can be difficult to keep up with for sure. I've been in that same boat, and actually continue to be. But, this site is very good for sorting things out. If ever in doubt about something that you can't find on the main page here, then do a search. You will be amazed at what you find. If the search doesn't bring up what you're looking for, then I'd suggest starting a new thread about it, asking the membership here about whatever it is you are trying to uncover.

Good luck finding your ERSB 101. If I do come accross one I'll let you know.

Merry Christmas,

Mark

P.S. WTRB is some very good bourbon. As I was told by a very helpful member here (TNBourbon?) it's a marriage of 8, 10 and 12 year bourbons. Or, is it 6, 8, 10?

Started off the evening with a special bottling of Pappy Van Winkle 15 Yr Old (essentially a single barrel for the buyers at our local liquor store, McScrooges). Awesome!

Then, went back over there and picked up the new expression from The Balvenie (sorry guys, I like my scotch too!) - the 17 yr old, Sherry wood. Again, very nice.

Before dinner, a scotch with ice, unusually for me (the ice I mean). One of my own blends. It was good but better when I added a dash of Drambuie.

After dinner and after two hours of vintage rock vids on youtube, a small WR vatting.

Gary

P.S. The Faces live in 1974 - with Keith Richards guesting - doing Chuck Berry tunes, go very well with the WR.

I've been dabbling a bit. Sor far its been:

Pappy 15 yr

EWSB 1997

russell Reserve

Wathens

What a night so far.

I hope i am able to sleep in tomorrow !!!!:cool:

For me, I started out with some ORVW 10/107 and now I'm onto some '07 Stagg with a quarter slice of water.

I have a feeling that the WTRB is not safe this evening. Reason being, I've been bumped to the couch for a nice Winter's sleep and It's a Wonderful Life will be spinning all night in my DVD player.

Started with 07 Stagg in a snifter, neat. I enjoy 07 Stagg neat, baby sips, followed with water.

Going to cabinet now for seconds of Weller Antique 107, IMHO in top 5 whiskey bang for buck.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.