What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I started with a large pour of Buffalo Trace and now I've moved on to Glen Breton(Canada's only single Malt) This one was a gift from a Coworker and it's really quite nice.Looks like there isn't much gettin done around my place tonite:rolleyes: Merry Xmas everyone....Mike

went shopping for xmas ideas at the local PLCB store...and there it was, WILD TURKEY RYE for $15.99 !

just bought Old Overhold last night. and was impressed.

but the WT rye is just phenomenal. and simply another classic WT pour. wow.

it really isn't too much different from regular WT 101.

rye certainly is bourbon's first cousin. maybe siblings...

Spent most of the day fighting the crowds for last minute items. I needed a break from the Christmas rush so I'm enjoying the first pour of my latest bottle of WTRB neat, Santa came early!!

My Four Roses Single Barrel gave up one last generous pour, and then I had some ER101. Now it's rye time, with Rittenhouse BIB in the glass.

Trying to play it safe tonight as I may have to drive if my wife water should break! I have a half a pour of some Pappy 15 and I do not remember this bottle being as good as it taste right now.

Tony

be careful tony....and wait til you can really celebrate, savor and fall down....!:grin:

well, i am still trying to sip this WT rye without my mouth agape due to the incredible balance of smoothness and spice. perfect first full day of winter pour!

switched to the old no. 8 1994 WT 101 once to compare (wow...how to compare?).

now back with the WT rye 101...

Easy, the label says Frankfort or Louisville on it.

OK, my eyes just weren't good enough to see it! :cool: Amazingly, after putting on reading glasses and holding to a strong light, I could read that it is a Louisville bottling. Thanks!

Drinking a healthy pour of 2007 George T. Stagg, with a bit of water. Tomorrow we have a lot of family here, so I figure many sips of many different bourbons! Happy Holidays to all!

RR Rye and RR 90 Bourbon. There is a great deal of similarity between these two. The rye is a little spicier, and the bourbon is a little smoother and sweeter.

On the Eve of the Eve...

WLW '06 in a rocks glass. If I have another, one cube will be needed.

Happy Holiday to all, Be Safe!

I'm also sipping '07 Stagg with a splash of water. :yum:

Good for you! The more splashes, the more serious you are about actually tasting the whiskey.

i just had a splash of stagg...with a micro-splash of water. you're right, you have to cut it to make it flower. otherwise, it's a shotgun to the head. not a bad thing always, but then effect isn't quite noting the flavor profile...

I'm back to report in. Okay, I drank some Handy and then decided to throw back some WTRB followed by ORVW 10. The VW got me to thinking it would be a good idea to do a side-by-side with ORVW 10/107 and PVW 15/107.

Drinking from two demi-tasse cups, I poured a smidgen of each into their respective glasses. The 10/107 was previously marked with a Sharpie underneath its handle. From there, I closed my eyes (what can I say, my wife and children were sleeping :D) and jossled them about until I knew not which was which. Then, I tasted both. I did this twice. Both times, to my chagrin, the PVW 15 won out. I really felt that the 10/107 would be hands-down winner, hence, my retaking the "Taste Test." But, I was wrong. Unfortunately too, since now I will have to focus my savings on the more expensive. :D

Still though, the 10/107 is mighty fine bourbon, just not so to the PVW 15.

I think I will have to revisit my side-by-side of ORVW 10/107 and Weller Antique. This one was a bit squewed since I already knew what was what.

Regards,

Mark

Holas. I'm concentrating on local drinks in Barcelona, where we have a few days.

A pint of emerald green-colored Spanish absinthe made in the city (70% ABV, not the highest in the range which was a black-hued 85%!) is very interesting: lightly anise, minty, refreshing with cold water and ice.

I can't find any bourbon at all apart from Beam White, Four Roses and Blanton, once. Maybe tomorrow.

Gary

Merry Christmas everyone. It's been a while since I've been on....been very busy. In any case, in celebration of some business successes and the Christmas season, I opened a bottle of Old Fitzgerald BIB. Distilled 1965, bottled 1971.

Oh my....it is delicious.

Very nice Greg! I started with a 2 oz. pour of WT Tradition 101 tonight and later had a small pour of the WLW Centennial. Now just a 1 oz. pour of a Pappy 15 I bought back in 04'. That's it for this evening.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Tony

EC12 tonite. Saw a Weller in the shop today but didn't get it, got a little too much expensive scotch in the house to justify throwing another sawbuck down for a bottle. (Tony, your recommendation along with that of a buddy pushed me over the edge and I got an Oban 14 yesterday. Mighty nice! thanks for the tip.)

Cheers, Merry Christmas to all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.