What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started off with Van Winkle family reserve Rye 13 year. Then I opened the new bottle of WT RR Rye that I found yestrday. Then some Elmer T. Lee. next Buff Trace. Then to round it out for the night it was back to the Russel's Reserve Rye!

Just had the Pappy 23 yr at Blue Smoke in NYC......Well worth the steep price tag

Johnny 123:

I'm curious what the steep price tag was for the Pappy 23? I had it at the Jocky Silks lounge in Louisville for $40, and while good, I didn't find it worth that! :bigeyes:

Had several families get together yesterday and the guys, who were not too familiar with bourbon or rye, had a little sampling. We tried:

W. L. Weller 12 yo

Elijah Craig 12 yo

Evan Williams SB 1996

Woodford Reserve

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Sazerac 6 yo

Favorites were spread amongst all the samples, though the EC 12 seemed to be a little more popular. Nice to see people who think that “bourbon is bourbon†begin to realize some of the different styles and qualities that are available and like them (even without Coke!).

Bob

Brought out one from the bunker...Old Taylor 80/ 1.75 from 1991. Wanted to see how it compared to the 86 proof I was working on last week. It has alot of the same style, but without the punch I got used to. Not a bad pour by any means....better than most other 80 proofers. Just not OT 86.

You're right about the 80-proof Taylor. Good, but I prefer the 86-proof.

I'm sipping on a bit of Glenfiddich Solera Reserve right now. I'm really enjoying this bottle.

Earlier I had a variation on Chuck Taggart's Reveillon cocktail, sort of crossed with a Vieux Carre. I posted about it in the "Non-whiskey Alcohol" forum.

Tried to go for one good wheater and an equal as Rye.

Weller 12...... Lot B

Both fine whiskies, a great examples showing off both genres of this fine drink.

A bit of Jamesons in a cup of strongly brewed Irish Breakfast Tea. I'm feeling a bit under the weather.

I have been enjoying some Fighting Cock. Like most rye heavy Bourbons I have tried I really enjoyed it. Nice color, strong nose, good flavor. I will have to add a couple drops of water or a couple ice cubes to see what that does. Could do a lot worse with my $18.

:toast:

Reached way back and pulled out a bottle of Old Fitzgerald 80 proof. Wow!, I said to myself. This has none of that nasty grassiness that's been coming out of Louisville/Bardstown these days! I almost forgot it was an 80 proof! It even beats my current bottle of BIB. Strange! I'm going to pick up another bottle tomorrow in hopes that I ain't dreamin'!

Tried to go for one good wheater and an equal as Rye.

Weller 12...... Lot B

Both fine whiskies, a great examples showing off both genres of this fine drink.

I'm confused, aren't they both wheaters?

Scott

I think I'll go for a OGD 114, or Pappy 15, or......heck, I don't know. It's been one of those days :( I probably should skip straight to the Stagg or Bookers :bigeyes:

It was quite a weeken: WTAS followed by Parker's Heritage. It's going to be hard to go back to more pedestrian pours...

One ounce Bulleit. Ditto of Woodford. Dash vodka. Dash water. Dash bitters. Cube.

As we used to say in Quebec, "ca bouge" (broadly, it rocks).

Gary

People know I'm into etymology and it just hit me: the word boogie may be related to the French words "bouge" and "bouger" (which mean move and to move: "ca bouge" means literally, it moves).

Some old spin-off of a French expression in New Orleans, probably.

Gary

Thanks for the updates, Tony. I know I have folks like you here at SB.com to thank for my making good choices. But I do envy your stamina.

ETL followed by Lot B tonight - about a half-tablespoon of each. The new 15yo Pappy isn't available yet here in Montgomery County, Maryland - how does it compare to the Lot B?

OF BB from 2002.....the inaugural release. This bourbon has everything....spice, sweetness, some wood and fine balance. This could be a regular pour if it was still available.

Randy

I'm confused, aren't they both wheaters?

Scott

Pardon me, I was informed by a bystander that I was drunk that evening.

Drunk Posting, a danger to us all.

Basil Hayden's, ETL, and Johnny Walker Red, in that order. Really brings out the distinctions between scotch and bourbon: ETL is sweeter on the tongue, JWR has peat smoke.

The last of my Evan Williams. Will wait until tomorrow night to get into the Woodford Reserve

Just for fun I started out with a 22 yr -old Classic Cask straight rye, from an unknown distillery but all fruit and mint, and a 3-year old Pikesville Supreme. I'm winding the evening down with the Pikesville, and as this dram gets some air in it and the flavors open up nicely, it'd be a hoot to know what it'd taste like if it were left undisturbed in oak for another 19 years. I'll say this - I detect enough of a faint familial resemble to speculate that the Classic Cask could well be a HH product.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.